WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I have a question that we cant seem to find an answer for...

If we flip-flop starting at Reds Meadow, do we need 2 seperate permit? One for going nobo and one for going sobo??
    You need both.

The permits are for JMT south of devils postpile, and jmt north of devils postpile. Further, by exiting wilderness to flip flop, any permit you are hiking under is immediately invalid, except for under 24 hrs to resupply, and you must reenter same trailhead. Ie you cant go to another trailhead.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-22-2018 at 19:48.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You need both.

The permits are for JMT south of devils postpile, and jmt north of devils postpile. Further, by exiting wilderness to flip flop, any permit you are hiking under is immediately invalid, except for under 24 hrs to resupply, and you must reenter same trailhead. Ie you cant go to another trailhead.
    This is what I was looking for. Thank you.

Well there goes that plan.

Why? By all accounts, it’s a no brainer. Saltysack did it. Ask him how.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

You plan how mant days RM to yosemite.....be conservative....give youself a rest day if want in between. Its only 60 miles....easy miles downhill too to yosemite. Any experienced hiker can plan that precisely.

Try to go south first would be more difficult to plan for many, but north first should be simple.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-22-2018 at 20:37.

Rain Man, I've been reading your WB posts for years and enjoy them all. Good luck on your hike, enjoy each step!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

A lot of information about permits out of Mammoth and the Inyo NF.
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...68#post2037068
    It can be done.
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Rain Man, I've been reading your WB posts for years and enjoy them all. Good luck on your hike, enjoy each step!!!
    Thank you for the well wishes, DD!!! Speaking of enjoying, I just looked today and saw that there will be a Full Moon 2 nights before we start and another 4 nights after we finish. Though I like Full Moons, I think I'll actually prefer those dark backcountry skies and being able to see the Milky Way and all those glorious stars and meteors too. SWEET.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Thank you for the well wishes, DD!!! Speaking of enjoying, I just looked today and saw that there will be a Full Moon 2 nights before we start and another 4 nights after we finish. Though I like Full Moons, I think I'll actually prefer those dark backcountry skies and being able to see the Milky Way and all those glorious stars and meteors too. SWEET.
    The only time I ever saw the stars during my JMT thru was ift I had to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Otherwise, once it was dark, I was in my tent fast asleep til sunrise.

But then again, I wound up rushing the JMT and getting it completed in 17 days when I had planned for 21. However, I've got to admit that a part of the reason for the rush was I was ready to see family again, and I was dependent on the EST that only ran M-F. With a scheduled end date of Sunday, I HAD to finish about 4 days early if I waned to ensure I got the Thurday or Friday bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    All Good Rain Man, have a great hike, wonderful part of the country to hike in as well, was in that area a few years ago.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The only time I ever saw the stars during my JMT thru was ift I had to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Otherwise, once it was dark, I was in my tent fast asleep til sunrise.
    I usually get up at least once to pee and even if not, make a point to get up and enjoy the stars. I remember seeing the Milky Way year before last from the Bigelow Range in Maine. Used to see it all the time as a kid in rural South Carolina.

We have a pretty leisurely schedule planned for hiking the JMT and plan to stop and smell the roses now and again.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

I leave today!!! Well, Boys & Girls, my flight is this afternoon for the first leg of getting to Yosemite and cashing in my "golden ticket" to thru-hike the JMT, beginning Aug 28 at Happy Isles. Thank goodness the fire closures are done with for where I'm headed.

Will spend Wed & Thur with my wife in Las Vegas visiting grandbabies. Then she and I drive to Mammoth Lakes for Fri & Sat to be tourists and for me to acclimate to elevation. Then on to Yosemite for Sun & Mon to be gawking tourists. She abandons me on Monday, I reckon with some crack like "Take a hike!" My two hike partners show up later in the day. On Tuesday we hit the trail (and do Half Dome if things go well).

Spending ZEROS at Reds Meadow, Muir Trail Ranch, and Onion Valley if needed. Scheduled to finish and come out in Lone Pine on Sept 20th. From there we drive to San Diego to be tourists for the weekend before flying home.

Y'all be good while I'm gone. Might be able to post this week as I travel, but likely not after.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 08-20-2018 at 13:31.

Have a great hike, Rain Man!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What is your plan for Half Dome?
    I had a permit for Half Dome myself...
    But I figured my pack would be too heavy to try to haul it up there with me. Many people recommend stashing it in the woods, but I was too concerned by the pack getting damaged by either bears, marmots, or any other "wild life" out there.

If Half-Dome had been at the end of my hike, I wouldn't have been too concerned with it getting damaged. But seeing that it was at the start of my hike, I opted to forego Half-Dome and know for sure my pack would be ok rather than risk getting to do Half-Dome, only to discover my pack was too damaged to continue my hike and miss all of the JMT.

I would have liked to hike up Half-Dome, but I don't have any regrets in that I think I still made the right decision.

Enjoy yourself Rain Man

Have a wonderful hike, chum. I'll miss not being able to boss you.....I mean HELP you out on this one.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

All the best!
    Be safe!
    Have fun!
    Wayne

I started my NOBO JMT hike on 8/1 from Horseshoe Meadows. We were shuttled up to 10,000 ft. from Lone Pine and I was on the trail by 10:00. About 7 miles in, just past Chicken Spring Lake a thunder storm erupted and some pretty intense hail fell for 15 minutes and then repeated again about half an hour later. I spent the last 4 hours on that day following two sets of footprints in hail, just like it was two inches of snow. The trail is not marked like the AT and I was at best hopeful the hikers in front of me were on the trail. They were, I finished up 13 miles around 5:30 and camped for the night.

I summited Whitney on Day 3 to a magnificent sky and scenery, but it was quite cold at 8am up there at 14,500 ft. The views are incredible and the entire day was pretty special. From there it was climb a pass in the morning, see incredible views and a new valley with alpine lakes, descend into the valley and set up for another pass ascent the next morning. It sounds trite, but the scenery is drop dead incredible every day. We did Forrester Pass at 13,200 ft, Glenn, Pinchot, Mather, Muir, Selden and Silver passes in this manner. The most impactful spots were Evolution Lake and Kings Canyon. Fortunately we descended the Golden Staircase, but I have not seen a more imposing trail ascent in my life.

We resupplied at Muir Trail Ranch, but the talk of the afternoon was the continued closure of Yosemite Valley and some sections of the JMT to our north. Just about everyone was bailing (8/9) from MTR, but we pushed on with a plan to at least get to Red's Meadow. The issue was smoke. We were told that once over Silver Pass, the smoke would be an issue. Sure enough on Day 11, we got to the pass and saw the smoke coming up the valley. While it may seem like a small issue, hiking at 10,000 ft with 30+ pound packs is hard enough. Throw in having to deal with smoke and throat irritation and it wasn't what we wanted to deal with. We decided to take Duck pass out on Day 12 before Red's Meadow. After just one day of hiking in minor smoke, my hiking partner was spitting up small amounts of blood because his throat was raw and I didn't sleep very well at all. We were in Mammoth by noon the next day and the hiking was over. I still intend to visit Yosemite, and may well hike the 60 miles I missed on the JMT. We did around 180 total miles as it was and I think we saw unsurpassed beauty, with the exception of the Yosemite Valley.

I found the JMT to be real challenging. Tougher than any section of the AT, exception maybe the Whites. I think carrying 9 and 7 days of food, were part of the issue. The daily climbs up the passes are taxing. Not just the final switchback climbs, but the miles getting to the face. The Sierra is a very beautiful place and the scale of everything is so exaggerated. You honestly become blasé' about the soaring peaks and blue alpine lakes. I found the hiking community out there to be just as great as in the east and thoroughly enjoyed my trip. If you can only get 2-3 weeks off to hike, consider the JMT.

Have fun! My August 4 SOBO permit from HI was cancelled due to the fires. Today is when I would have submitted Whitney. Hopefully I can be so lucky to get a permit again next year.

Images

Hiked the Kearsarge Pass Trail from the JMT to Onion Valley this morning. Spending two nights at Mt. Williamson Motel. Tomorrow will be our second ZERO of the hike. I'm ready for the R&R. Back to it on Monday, finishing Friday at Whitney Portal.

Has been great weather. Temps around 33-39 most nights. These passes are tough, but beautiful ... if you don't like green, growing things, that is.

More after we finish.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 09-16-2018 at 07:44.

Nice work Rain Man!!! Looking forward to your stories. Enjoy some RnR!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++