WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I was glad I brought Elizabeth Wenk’s guide along with me for the geology descriptions.
    Because I planned to bring my smart phone along, I purchased the electronic version of Wenk's guide. Each night, I would re-read the description of the trail I expected to cover the next day.

And while the National Geographic Map 'booklet' was my primary map, I also purchased the Guthooks JMT app. The trail is mostly very easy to follow. But there are a few places where you get near populations such as Toulumne and Red's where there are numerous cross trails, and the signs as these intersection usually indicates where each trail leads (such as a named water fall) rather than indicating which way is the JMT. So one of the pieces of advice I followed was that every time I went by a trail intersection, I fired up the app to make sure I was still on the JMT (note that when you're away from cell towers, it can take several minutes before your phone can locate its position using only GPS).

I also purchased a set of Staedtler Pens so that I could write on the waterproof Nat Geo map. I used the various colors to do things like mark my planned itinerary, number the camp sites to match Wenk's numbering system, add missing campsites. I also took one pen along with me so that I could mark where I camped each night.

I started 8/31 last year. 20 degree bag was sufficient. Last night at Guitar Lake though was cold and had to put on layers and jacket to stay warm. Try to get up and over the passes early (staging just below the passes the night prior) in order to avoid afternoon t-storms which can get nasty.
    It is what it is.

Journal Entries

"Otherwise, the only other places the JMT ever even comes near a road (but doesn't cross it) is at Happy Isle, and Red's Meadow."

While walkers determined to avoid becoming horrified by ever encountering a road might be able to do so at Reds, doing that there could be challenging.

A paved road runs from Mammoth Lakes (large ski resort and town) up over a pass and down into the high valley where the Devil's Postpile National Monument and Reds Meadow ae located. During the summer frequent shuttle buses take day visitors and backpackers back and forth between Mammoth and Reds. That road ends right in front of Red's Meadow's tasty restaurant and camp store, establishments that are popular with famished and resupplying backpackers. Nearby, also adjoining the road, is a Forest Service campground that includes both hot spring fed showers and a tenting area that is designated specifically the use of backpackers. Mammoth Lakes is a good 'full service' resupply town and is one of the stops along the Lone Pine-to-Reno Airport bus route that was mentioned above in post #6. Mammoth is also linked to Yosemite (Toulumne Meadows, White Wolf, and the Valley) via a daily shuttle bus.

Instead of attempting a JMT thru hike, I've made two trips to the Sierras, altogether doing three and a half weeks of backpacking within the Ansel Adams Wilderness and the northern part of the John Muir Wilderness. Some of that hiking was done on pieces of the JMT and PCT. Views from those two trails. while extraordinary, were not were not inherently better than those from other Sierra paths. Some hikers, myself among them, enjoy reading maps and doing some route planning rather than just robotically prodding forward on an AT section or a route like the JMT. So, I appreciate Red's Meadow's accessibility and amenities. And, it seems to be easier to get backpacking permits from that area than is the case at either the Yosemite end of the JMT or the Mt. Whitney area.

Flying from Kentucky I've found it cheaper and more convenient to access those mountains from the Reno Airport than from cities further west, such as Fresno.

Three of us hiked the JMT sobo a few years ago ending in mid-September; a 20-degree bag or quilt would be fine IMO. Going sobo as you are planning allows for more gradual acclimation to the altitude, but you will hike slower than you are used to doing. Last easy resupply is at Muir Trail Ranch. This means that you either need to finish the JMT with whatever food you are willing to carry from MTR, or hike out to resupply (eg. over Kearsarge pass and easy hitch to resupply in Independence) which is a pretty side trip BUT with a big up and down over the pass - a PITA IMO, or hire a horse-packer to resupply you on trail (expensive). We carried rented Bearikade Expedition canisters and found we could just get 9 days of food into one. Therefore we gave ourselves 9 days to get from MTR to Whitney Portal including the up to Whitney summit to finish the JMT.

Part 1 and Part 2 videos if interested: and
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    Flying from Kentucky I've found it cheaper and more convenient to access those mountains from the Reno Airport than from cities further west, such as Fresno.
    The OP has already stated they are starting from Happy Isle. Access to Happy Isle seems much easier from the west coast (LA, Sacramento to HI via Amtrack/YARTS) than from Reno (EST & YARTS).

As for cost, unless you're talking about a direct flight, it seems like it will cost you about $225-$250 (one way) to fly just about anywhere in the continental US if you're able to book early enough. Amtrak can get you from Sacramento to Yosemite for less than $40.

Images

If you were any good and a half-way decent friend, you'd be working on your stealth drone license fer me!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    So......where are the road crossings?
    So, Rain Man, your slackpacking options aren't looking too good!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Cool

Thanks so much to everyone for all the great info, hints, warnings, etc. I've been eating this elephant one bite at a time, reading books and guides, studying various maps, and of course researching on the WWW. Plus, I walk and/or hike most days of each week, not to mention my normal monthly backpacking trips. Half the time I'm excited and half the time I'm scared of what I've gotten myself into. LOL I'm at that point that Horace Kephart wrote about:

Horace Kephart from my 1933 edition of "Camping" from his 1917 magazine articles and book:

"Yet all of us who spend much time in the woods are keen to learn about the other fellow's 'kinks.' And field equipment is a most excellent hobby to amuse one during the shut-in season. I know nothing else that so restores the buoyant optimism of youth as overhauling one's kit and planning trips for the next vacation. Solomon himself knew the heart of man no better than that fine old sportsman who said to me 'It isn't the fellow who's catching lots of fish and shooting plenty of game that's having the good time: it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."

That's me for the next few months!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Default Powering Electronic Devices

Most of you know I finished the AT in October. On the AT, I rarely found myself more than a couple of days from being able to charge up my smartphone, digital camera, and a battery pack (I have a variety of Ankers). I used Guthook's app a lot, but otherwise generally kept my phone in airplane mode or turned off entirely. I carried whatever battery pack sized depending on length of trip, etc. It/they would charge both my phone and my camera. Also, usually I could text my wife daily.

1. On the JMT, I'm assuming I may have to go a week without access to electrical outlets to charge my devices? But unlike the AT, I won't be in a "green tunnel" of trees with little sunlight. So, should I get a solar charger of some sort? Or, should I carry a big or multiple battery packs? What sayest thou(s)?

2. Where can I expect to be able to charge my devices along the JMT?

3. Also, any reliable cell service or other ways along the JMT to let my wife know I haven't been eaten by bears yet (and perhaps whether I'm on schedule)?

Thanks in advance!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know cell reception is available in Tuolumne, Red's, and atop Mt Whitney if you position the phone just right.

You'll be out in the sun enough to make carrying a solar panel worth it.
    I recommend the Anker Solar Lite. It's one of the lightest of the serious solar chargers and costs only $50.

When I researched online articles on the subject, the general recommendation was that you needed something with at least 10W of power. The Solar Lite has 15W and is lighter than similar panels such as the GoalZero.
    I've seen people recommend the Suntastic solar panels. The lightest of which is a 5W panel, but the cost is $$$.

You might also want to consider getting a tiny battery pack like the 3oz Anker PowerCore+ Mini. As you hike the JMT, your solar panel WILL go in and out of shade. Some devices don't like that... to the point they will shut down the charging until you unplug and replug them back in. But the battery pack does just fine going in and out of shade. So spend the day charging the battery pack while in the sun, then charge your phone from the battery at night.

The Solar Lite and PowerCore Mini will make for a total weight of right at 1 pound. (Many other solar panels alone weight more than that). The other thing to check is that your devices will charge from the battery pack. I unfortunately had a camera that would ONLY charge directly from the panels and not the battery, and every time the panel went in the shade, I had to unplug the camera to get it charging again (be the shade came from a tree, or simply turning away from the direction of the sun).

Perhaps the biggest reason to suggest a solar panel over a large battery is that assuming you don't try to leave the trail after MTR, you've got to cover half the trail without access to anything that would allow you to plug something in... and even at places like MTR, you likely won't have the time to wait for your battery to charge. I would also assume that to go such distances with much electronic use, you'd need something at least the size of the 15,000mAh packs... which is starting to approach the weight of the Solar Lite panel.
    Otherwise, the only place you can expect to charge up (again, if you have the time) is the same places you might resupply (Red's and MTR... otherwise you're spending 2+ days to hike over the mountains to get to town).

Images

Rainman,
    I hiked the JMT without a phone. At first that made very me happy.
    After some time worry about my family became a burden. These hikes are selfish of me.
    When I finally logged onto the Internet in Lone Pine I found my family was doing fine.
    and the world had not changed,
    but I had.

Scott
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Well, we got a "golden ticket" (for 3) to hike the John Muir Trail, starting August 28 at Happy Isles in Yosemite and scheduled to finish Sept 20 at Whitney Portal. I have a hundred questions, but will start with this one:

How hot/cold do I need to plan on? Am I going to have to take winter gear (extra pack weight) for bitter cold nights? I have a 20-degree sleeping bag and a 20-degree down top quilt (though I assume I can't hammock along the JMT?). Is 20 degrees sufficient?

It appears to me that,-- similar to the AT,-- the JMT is a series of shorter hikes strung together, with places to resupply/ZERO along the way.

I'll have more questions, but if any of you get inspired to share any hints, suggestions, warnings, or whatever, feel more than free to jump in. I've never hiked out west nor at those elevations.

With a daughter and grandkids in Las Vegas now, I suspect my travel plans will go through there and probably involve being driven to Yosemite at start and picked up in Lone Pine at end. I've never been to Yosemite, but did spend a night in Lone Pine this January and drove up to Whitney Portal just to see it.
    You will to be prepared for 90F to 15F. Yosemite is hottest at low elevation. One or two possible camps at 12500 will be coolest. Guitar lake is one. This is where you discover katabatic wind.

You can look at online weather monitoring stations in the Sierra at different elevations/pounts through the california CDEC website. It really depends on where you chose to camp. Most choose to sleep low. 9500-11000 range.

After that you got like four places to send mail drops just send you food there....done. pay attention to the Tuolumne PO hours for picking up a package.

Most of the difficulty is in planning your Logistics to arrive and depart. Just plan enough time that if your pack is shipped as luggage it definitely makes it. Because you can't start on a different day than your permit is for. And if you cut it too close and your pack isn't there you're screwed. There's a million and one possibilities of how to get there. Is really only one good possibility on how to get home and that's the fly out of Reno. Although you can rent cars drive to Las Vegas you can take the bus to LA but there's no point in doing all those other things. Unless you just want to see Death Valley or something like that.
    If your daughter is picking you up and Lone Pine will that's Dandy.
    It's possible to get from the east coast to Yosemite in one day. But in my opinion is not advisable. I spent the night before at the Yosemite bug Resort in Mariposa. They have a hostel a great restaurant and the yartsdrops off/ picks up at their driveway at about 7:00 a.m., put you in the park about 9:30, or somethibg like that. Why anyone would want to get to Yosemite at 9 at night and then have to find The Backpacker Campground and go to sleep without a decent meal. Day is beyond me. Same reason people Rush on a tight schedule and and make themselves miserable, or outright failed to complete their hikes. You're on vacation...... Spend money...... Enjoy it. Travel days and zeros are part of your vacation also. Definitely zero at VVR. Food is great there people are great, and you get to socialize with other hikers and non hikers.

Id also say don't buy you return ticket in advance go with the flow. Stay at The Dow villa in lone pine. Eat breakfast at the Alabama Hills Cafe. Have fun. Hang out with people you met on the trail. Lone pine is a cool laid-back little town. You might finish early and be offered a ride to LA on a day that the bus does not run to Reno. If your options are open you can take that ride and fly home out of LA, etc.

Get to know your yarts and esta schedules.

And you can mail all your travel clothes and items forward from Yosemite PO to where you to stay in Lone Pine weather that's the hostel or dow villa.

You can't do any better than Eric the blacks JMT Atlas. Imo. Scale of the maps is perfect.

Highly recommend being on Whitney for Sunrise. That doesn't mean after Sunrise when the sky is light. That means by 4:30 a.m. Everything is bathed in a blue light right before the sun breaks over the horizon. And seeing the lights of Lone Pine 10,000 feet below through the Pinnacles is kind of cool. When I was there on August 1st it was 26f. The next day it was blanketed in 2 foot of snow, causing some people to have to bail off the trail and not Summit Whitney. So there's that possibility to contend with also.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-05-2018 at 04:17.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Id also say don't buy you return ticket in advance go with the flow. Stay at The Dow villa in lone pine. Eat breakfast at the Alabama Hills Cafe.
    Wife and I did just that in January this year. Spent the night at Dow Villa. Delightful place. Had dinner at The Seasons. Super nice restaurant for such a small town. Had breakfast at Alabama Hills Cafe. Nice folks. We really enjoyed our reconnoiter visit. I was even able to drive the road up to Whitney Portal, which was supposed to be closed as of November 15, per guide book.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    You'll be out in the sun enough to make carrying a solar panel worth it. I recommend the Anker Solar Lite. It's one of the lightest of the serious solar chargers and costs only $50.
    Will definitely look into that. Bet I can use it while kayak camping here in the southeast.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    You might also want to consider getting a tiny battery pack like the 3oz Anker PowerCore+ Mini.
    Yep, that's one of the three Anker's I already have and use. It's great, indeed.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

There's a lot of good advice in this thread. On return flights, my strategy is always to book a return ticket on Southwest for my best guess which probably works out only half the time. If I want/need to exit earlier or later, Southwest tickets can be changed with no change fee, although if you rebook a day or two before you want to fly, expect to pay a lot more. This strategy has saved me money in aggregate over the years compared to just booking at the last minute.

On resupply, I went from MTR to Whitney Portal without resupply on my first southbound JMT using a 12" Bearikade. I hiked that segment over seven days, if I recall correctly, even though I thought I had packed eight days of food. I got so hungry toward the end that I ate the 8th day of food and exited on day seven with no food at all. Don't underestimate your hunger toward the end of the JMT. It afflicts nearly everyone, even those who think they have "extra" food at MTR and donate it to the hiker barrels to save weight.

I have come to prefer northbound JMT hikes due to the easier and more flexible permitting and the fact that I tend to like to hike in the later season and by hiking NOBO, I cover the highest ground earlier in September. My initial plan this year was to do a late June NOBO, back when the snow levels were minimal, but I've since changed my hike to start in late August at Horseshoe Meadows. I'm currently debating whether to end my hike in Yosemite Valley or knock out the segment of the PCT between Tuolumne and Donner Pass. After the past five years of hiking on all sorts of trails in the U.S. and in Europe, I think that the JMT is the absolute tops, rivaled only by the TMB and segments of the Chamonix to Zermatt walker's route in the Alps for scenery but not for wilderness/remoteness. On remoteness, the JMT has no peer among the trails I've hiked.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Seems like the highest priority in terms of decisions to make in planning a JMT thru is resupply plan, specifically what are you going to do between MTR and WP. You basically have three choices:
    1. Spend the money for a packer
    2. Spend the time to leave the trail
    3. Carry everything with you.

I had neither the extra time nor money, so choice #3 was pretty much forced on me.

Should you decide to follow the same course, I can tell you that the largest bear canister available is the Bearikade (either Expedition OR Custom Bearikade of larger sizes.
    If I recall correctly, the BearVault has about 700cuin of space, while the lighter Bearikade Expedition has about 1000cuin

Everyone's going to be different, but what planned for was a total of 21 days at 3,000 calories per day. I finished in 17 days, ate my 3,000 calories per day, and lost about 7 or 8 in body fat.
    I planned for 10 days of supplies between MTR and WP (note: Food only has to be in the bear canister over night... so when you leave MTR, the food you're going to use that day do not have to fit in your bear canister).
    It was a tight fit, but my 10 days of 3,000 calories did just fit in the Bearikade Expedition.

Because everything has to fit within the bear canister, you have to think of food not only from a calorie density in terms of weight, but also in terms of volumn. A simple example: If you like peanut M&M's, you'll be able to pack a combination of plain M&Ms and peanuts in less space than the equivalent amount of Peanut M&M's because the smaller size of the plain M&M's and shelled peanuts will waste more space than the larger Peanut M&M's (so in my case, I packed Peanut M&M's during the 1st half of the trip where I was going only 5 days between resupply, and then switched to the tighter packing plain M&M's and peanuts).

A couple of foods that come to mind that pack very tightly:
    Sunflower seed kernels.
    Couscous in place of rice.

Lucky dog getting permits....I did flip flop out of DPP on JMT Sept 10-23 2015 including a zero in mammoth...I wasn’t ever cold with a 15* bag and mid weight base layers...same kit I’d use on AT in fall/winter plus the can. I never saw a bug and only had rain/snow twice. When I go back will be nobo mid September but would try VVR instead of MTR for resupply.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    There's a lot of good advice in this thread. On return flights, my strategy is always to book a return ticket on Southwest for my best guess which probably works out only half the time. If I want/need to exit earlier or later, Southwest tickets can be changed with no change fee, although if you rebook a day or two before you want to fly, expect to pay a lot more. This strategy has saved me money in aggregate over the years compared to just booking at the last minute.

On resupply, I went from MTR to Whitney Portal without resupply on my first southbound JMT using a 12" Bearikade. I hiked that segment over seven days, if I recall correctly, even though I thought I had packed eight days of food. I got so hungry toward the end that I ate the 8th day of food and exited on day seven with no food at all. Don't underestimate your hunger toward the end of the JMT. It afflicts nearly everyone, even those who think they have "extra" food at MTR and donate it to the hiker barrels to save weight.

I have come to prefer northbound JMT hikes due to the easier and more flexible permitting and the fact that I tend to like to hike in the later season and by hiking NOBO, I cover the highest ground earlier in September. My initial plan this year was to do a late June NOBO, back when the snow levels were minimal, but I've since changed my hike to start in late August at Horseshoe Meadows. I'm currently debating whether to end my hike in Yosemite Valley or knock out the segment of the PCT between Tuolumne and Donner Pass. After the past five years of hiking on all sorts of trails in the U.S. and in Europe, I think that the JMT is the absolute tops, rivaled only by the TMB and segments of the Chamonix to Zermatt walker's route in the Alps for scenery but not for wilderness/remoteness. On remoteness, the JMT has no peer among the trails I've hiked.
    What’s the timeframe and mileage your looking at from horseshoe to donner? Looks like a great idea and easy exit out of Reno...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    What’s the timeframe and mileage your looking at from horseshoe to donner? Looks like a great idea and easy exit out of Reno...
    My Horseshoe Meadow to Donner plan is just under 450 including a couple of JMT side trips (including a resupply over Bishop Pass so I can camp in the Dusy Basin, Bench Lake, and 60 Lakes Basin). Easy to get to Truckee from Donner Pass and airport shuttle options to get to Reno. However, I am unsure whether I will have the time to continue past Yosemite so I might just go to Happy Isles with a Clouds Rest detour and another Half Dome summit. Either way I'm looking forward to a return to the JMT.

Hi Teacher !!

So......where are the road crossings?
    Just ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    If you were any good and a half-way decent friend, you'd be working on your stealth drone license fer me!!! LOL
    What would the drone do? Alert me that your sorry self is in need of rescue, food, or a hot shower? Careful, chum....I might just find a way to show up!

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Hi Teacher !!
    Hi Speedbump! I missed you in Shenandoah!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++