WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO and Georgia/NC snow pack

Looking to get an idea of snow pack for NC and GA for January/February (2019) months as I anticipate traversing these areas at that time as I work towards Springer mountain. What I am specifically looking at it whether there is enough snow to use snowshoes in this area.

These are both strong months of snowshoeing for us in the Adirondacks and Whites during this time.

Thanks,

I've only been here for 5 years, but I have NEVER seen a time where snowshoes would be useful on the trail. I would say your chances are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by NumNum View Post
    Looking to get an idea of snow pack for NC and GA for January/February (2019) months as I anticipate traversing these areas at that time as I work towards Springer mountain. What I am specifically looking at it whether there is enough snow to use snowshoes in this area.

These are both strong months of snowshoeing for us in the Adirondacks and Whites during this time.

Thanks,
    Welcome to Whiteblaze!

I hiked thru Jan/Feb in NC/GA (2016) At times snowshoes would have been nice but I could never justify carrying them. They would have been on my pack much more often than on my boots. If I was prepping for a 2019 repeat of the 2016 winter down there, I wouldn't take them. But post holing thru the remnants of any winter storm that gets named (ex. Jonas) will make a case for having them at least for short stretches. (considered having mine sent to me)

-

ice is much more of an issue - micro spikes are the favored gear - it will be carry for a month/ use for minutes, your call

Thanks for the info. I was assuming they’d be overkill but wanted to check.

Images

I've been winter hiking in NC/TN/GA for years, and never *needed* snowshoes. Microspikes are really useful. Historically there have been a handful of late winter storms that dumped feet of snow in the Smokies, so it's possible to need snowshoes, but in those cases the hikers needed helicopters more....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

That's the Daks with heavier snowfall and more frequent storms ie; coming off the lakes/lakefront effects. Less fluctuation range in temps also with it being lower temps overall.

GA and NC AT snowfall is less with snow storms typically less frequent and severe. Depth and quality of snow and environment requires less need for float. Less need however does not
    necessarily mean no possible need ever. Even winter trips on the AT are done with a UL kit so don't know if that makes a difference for you if you are going heavier. I suggest you don't...safely...within your abilities.

How hard core are you planning? Are you going to stay gobbling up miles in and after snow storms? If so you could use them. Most ATers I'd say are lured into town waiting out big snow storms.

In a bunch of GA and to a lesser extent NC AT hikes in Jan and Feb I can get away without shoes. I have used them on one Jan GA AT traverse after a snow storm but I waited for it to happen to try the shoes. I'm glad I had them a few times but probably could have managed the trip without them. I've used then in Vogel SP that abuts the AT during winter, I think it was Feb, one other time. Glad to have them that time too. Both times I was breaking trail. If others are ahead, you're not leading, going light, the depth isn't huge, in good shape, and are willin to ratchet things down cooperating with the conditions and within your abilities I don't think you'll need them.

Thank you.

++ New Posts ++