WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You might own authorship of the first chapter of the book but I lay claim to the next three chapters. Book will never be finished.
    I'd read the "Guide to Idiots Hiking." Maybe a collection of tales from various members

'Guide to the Idiots of Hiking.' is written by a guy in a yellow school bus. (Cheap shot... sorry Odie!)
    'Guiding idiots who hike' is probably best reserved for professional guides and may be coming soon from Skurka or Doyle? (Another cheap shot... durn it.)
    'Guided idiot hiking' was the working title of the Bill Irwin story (That is just in poor taste).
    'Hiking to guide Idiots'... a helpful book for the dyslexic. (Ha... they can't read it and be offended)
    'Idiots to guide hiking'... a headline in the New Hampshire local papers each winter. (sad)

I don't know what makes a good blog post and I can't put a reason on why I get complimented on mine.

Spelling and grammar are important to make it easy to read
    I enjoy blogs that are personal...aren't just statistics and carry a good balance of feelings, experiences, emotions and a description of the hike
    Not overloaded on photos...pick your 6-7 best ones for each post.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

anything that has nothing to do with weather, mileage, or trail steepness.

You're really fixated on that word idiot JB. I knew you were a liar but also an idiot?

Anything that's well written.
    I read a lot of books. If something is well written - in an entertaining way, not in a proper grammar way - it will be a good read. Imo.
    An entertaining writer is an artist...find your style and write!

I believe it was JK Rowling who said that she wrote to entertain herself.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    .............. Overviews of the whole day, or specific little funny, detailed anecdotes? .................

I have tried to follow some trail journals but most quickly become too tedious and uninteresting for me. The ones I enjoy are short summaries that include where the hiker is and something interesting that happened, an interesting observation or interesting people they met. Mileage covered, what they ate, what part of their body hurts today etc. is of interest to the writer but not to me as a reader. Keep that stuff for your personal journal.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 03-30-2018 at 09:39.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

You're really fixated on that word idiot JB. I knew you were a liar but also an idiot?
    Maybe it was because I replied to your post I got fixated on it.

Cabin Fever is running rampant. Outside top of a Chicago building right now doing manual labor looks very appealing. If it wasn't for those incompetent architects...yar. solvitur ambulando time. Is there a FKT for Lincoln or grant park? Let's rumble outta here. Let's test out those shell breathability claims.

Cabin Fever is running rampant. Outside top of a Chicago building right now doing manual labor looks very appealing. If it wasn't for those incompetent architects...yar. solvitur ambulando time. Is there a FKT for Lincoln or grant park? Let's rumble outta here. Let's test out those shell breathability claims.
    80 hours since monday and counting... Cabin Madness. Swinging a hammer would be a welcome break.
    Bout all I'm good for is an intense sleeping gear comparison test. Maybe vigorous bridge hammock analysis.
    Likely a bit of bourbon glass contents comparison first though if I can leave my desk before midnight.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    Hi WhiteBlaze, I have a question for those of you who follow trail journals: what characteristics make trail stories most enjoyable to read?
    Given your background (I hit the hit the Trai immeadiately after a couple years teaching ESL too, but just in one country) I think you might like reading some of this authors non-fiction travelogues if you have not already:

http://www.paultheroux.com/

Some find him to be a rather judgemental, grumpy know-it-all but I have found his books to be among the best of the best for a long time, and no one can say he does not get around.

I think something could be learned from him. When it comes to your own writing writing, think big, take risks and be brave!

Write about whatever you want....then....write more of the same.....repeat, often.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

my book comin' out soon. " Fear and Loathing on the AT" or "As the Trail Turns". may go with the latter as the title. 16 grand miles walked. i gots stories

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'd read the "Guide to Idiots Hiking." Maybe a collection of tales from various members

'Guide to the Idiots of Hiking.' is written by a guy in a yellow school bus. (Cheap shot... sorry Odie!)
    'Guiding idiots who hike' is probably best reserved for professional guides and may be coming soon from Skurka or Doyle? (Another cheap shot... durn it.)
    'Guided idiot hiking' was the working title of the Bill Irwin story (That is just in poor taste).
    'Hiking to guide Idiots'... a helpful book for the dyslexic. (Ha... they can't read it and be offended)
    'Idiots to guide hiking'... a headline in the New Hampshire local papers each winter. (sad)
    Made my day...thanks for the laugh.

Staying with the idiot theme..I love reading stories about people who do it wrong. I want to hear the down, dirty and embarrassing so I don’t feel so bad about my own shenanigans. Perfect people are great but don’t hold my attention.

Stepped in your poop? Peed on your socks? Ran out of food? Sank in the mud up to your knees looking for the trail when it was around the corner? That’s what I want to read.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Staying with the idiot theme..I love reading stories about people who do it wrong. I want to hear the down, dirty and embarrassing so I don’t feel so bad about my own shenanigans. Perfect people are great but don’t hold my attention.

Stepped in your poop? Peed on your socks? Ran out of food? Sank in the mud up to your knees looking for the trail when it was around the corner? That’s what I want to read.
    You’ve likely read it before:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...=1#post1373508
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I did indeed. And it was hilarious to read it again, so thanks!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I did indeed. And it was hilarious to read it again, so thanks!
    That was by far my best one, and also from my first night. The quality of the storytelling does downhill from there.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post

I've stepped into my own poop after going. I've pooped, put the pack back on, then for different reasons, took the pack back off, placing the pack back down in the poop as i was trying to find the cathole to cover it. Recall that happening twice. After pooping reaching for my nearby pack leaning on a tree it fell over splat into a big patty. Don't have those packs anymore.

Coming upon a full shelter after a 16 hr 30+ day in a fog of fatigue I thought I found a nice quiet spot to pass out at the end of a short "use" traIL behind the shelter that ended "conviently" in a flat spot next to a large tree. Yup, next morn realized I had slept in a TP flower garden. No wonder there were a bunch of scattered flat rocks that I felt through the sleeping pad that night.

Some AT shelters have more than one trail to them. One NOBO AT thru went back out on a different one he came in on. We found out as we came upon him about 7:30 am after a 5:15 am start bitchin that he went 4+ SOBO the wrong direction. He said he wanted to get started early to do abig day. We laughe'd our arses off. How the he'll can anyone be such a moron we all thought among our selves.

Two yrs later on a PCT NOBO I wasn't paying attention doing a 6 mile dead end side trail making a 12 mile RT error. Thing is i was making good time up to that pt poised for a big mileage day. That night I thought of him on the AT and what we said about him.

Seeing some talk about Baltmore Jack on page 1, I have to say, the best story I ever heard was his 1 hour version of finding the dead guy i the Doyle. (and getting the body out)
    I really wish I would have had a recorder on that day, cause we got the long version, and it was amazing!

People seem to like my story of the time I jumped a blowdown and there was a sleeping bear on the other side, (which I proceeded to jump on) but, I am not a good writer and got a D in Creative writing in college.
    So, better when I tell it, rather than write about it.

Now, my buddy Ray has a knack for it and it on a journey right now and writing a blog about it everyday.
    You can read him here: https://fastesthikeacrossthailand.wordpress.com/
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++