WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So which of these are actually like a kilt...with the overlap to permit long strides or sitting cross-legged.

The Z-packs does not do that, so technically it is more of a skirt... but the zipper can be opened from the bottom to allow for freedom of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    The Z-packs does not do that, so technically it is more of a skirt... but the zipper can be opened from the bottom to allow for freedom of movement.
    Yeah, I saw that. I guess I'm hoping someone actually makes a true kilt, although not with the pleats...lol

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. I guess I'm hoping someone actually makes a true kilt, although not with the pleats...lol
    check this one out, it maybe what you are looking for.

https://www.lightheartgear.com/index.../182-rain-wrap
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Antigravity gear makes a real nice one. Silnylon and velcro closures. You can order different lengths to suit you personally. It seams to be the most kilt like I've run across so far.

I use this for day hikes and shorter trips. I've got a packa I use for backpacking and like it a lot. The rain kilt gives closer coverage for my legs in cooler weather

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    check this one out, it maybe what you are looking for.

https://www.lightheartgear.com/index.../182-rain-wrap
    I didn't realize LHG was a wrap vs a skirt. I like it...wish there were more color choices though. But beggars can't be choosers. I wonder if there is someone on here who would like to take on a DIY project for a rain kilt. I think I might have to make a post and see.

Check out Sierra Designs Elite Cagoule jacket:

https://youtu.be/y3qTshBp6iQ

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    Check out Sierra Designs Elite Cagoule jacket:

https://youtu.be/y3qTshBp6iQ

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk
    I don't like that it is a pullover. Otherwise it has some really good features. I have toyed with the chap idea in the past but still go with the kilt for ease of putting on and taking off.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

The have a zippered version with similar features. It is the Ultralight Trench.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I'm still looking for a true kilt. Guess I need to post in the DIY section.

Nobody mentioned the kilt from aliexpress.com:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3f-u...846391806.html

About $12 shipped to you in a couple weeks. Plenty big enough to overlap.

The Tyvek rain kilt I made; Its a ground cloth, kilt, a storm door beak and a tarp extension for hammocking. can close off my ground tarp and I can Velcro a storm flap on my asym hammock tarp and often use it when I'm doing meal time. A pretty handy item.

Journal Entries

Zpacks works for me in warmer weather.
    But let's be honest in warmer weather you really don't need anything at all. But it doubles as Extra Protection under my inflatable. This is the reason that some UL hikers will just use their ground sheet and wrap it around their waist when it rains.... Not necessarily important enough to bring separate gear item for.

If it's colder weather or higher altitude i take the rain pants to block wind . A skirt isnt enough for me. I've been quite chilled it just 50 degrees and rainy hiking downhill and retaining heat is important. Ymmv depending on how fat you are.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-23-2018 at 23:40.

Colin’s Kilt...from a plastic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Zpacks works for me in warmer weather.
    But let's be honest in warmer weather you really don't need anything at all. But it doubles as Extra Protection under my inflatable. This is the reason that some UL hikers will just use their ground sheet and wrap it around their waist when it rains.... Not necessarily important enough to bring separate gear item for.

If it's colder weather or higher altitude i take the rain pants to block wind . A skirt isnt enough for me. I've been quite chilled it just 50 degrees and rainy hiking downhill and retaining heat is important. Ymmv depending on how fat you are.
    I love ZPacks gear, but their latest rain kilt is a terrible design. One giant step and the zipper is ruined. They need to rethink that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In 2200 miles I never saw the need for a rain kilt, ever. I ditched my rain pants in Virginia and never looked back. I needed them for extra warmth in the Smokies when wind chill and and night hiking required them, but once things warmed up lower body rain gear just seemed stupid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++