WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Foothills from Bad creek to Table rock

Buddy and I just got back in last night from our hike. Started Thursday around 12:30 and made it back to the parking lot at Table Rock yesterday around 4:30.

It was a lot of fun but shockingly difficult. This was my first “long” hike and I’m very surprised how beat up I am today.

The suspension bridges are awesome and heartbreak ridge can rob your soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think short multi day hikes like this are the hardest. 50 miles or so are the worst. You feet and muscles have just long enough to get to their worst and the light at the end of the tunnel is right there. You push for the end rather than pace yourself on longer hikes. 300 miles is easier and more enjoyable than 50 as odd as that sounds.

Glad you got some miles under your belt. The Foothills is one of my favorite trails.
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

The better half of the trail in my humble opinion.

I'm gonna guess your pictures;

1. the stairs going sort of under that rock is right before one of the big river crossings, maybe Horsepasture?

2. Laurel Fork Creek?

3. Bald Knob?

3. Actually, Rock Creek, right after Heartbreak Ridge.

2 I meant, not 3

I'm surprised no one yet hasnt tried to establish a camp under that rock. You can see where so many have gotten under it to get out of the rain.

It's a steep on trail rock hump coming up from Whitewater River to the Upper Overlook. There are multiple ways to get there though.

Quote Originally Posted by red5 View Post
    The better half of the trail in my humble opinion.

I'm gonna guess your pictures;

1. the stairs going sort of under that rock is right before one of the big river crossings, maybe Horsepasture?

2. Laurel Fork Creek?

3. Bald Knob?
    Number 3 is correct. It's sad to say but I can't confirm the other two because it all became a blur after hiking so quickly. That was my one regret about the trip, we went too fast. While I enjoy the challenge of making miles, it would have been nice to slow down and enjoy it a little more. Oh well, you learn something every time you go out.

Before hiking the FHT one should gather it's on the Blue Ridge Escarpment in an area of high rainfall making for deep steep gorges. Not everything is gently graded switchbacks. There are a lot of steps.

++ New Posts ++