WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe this is why.
    Another problem with leather boots is that they often have a thicker sole, placing the foot at a higher center of gravity, leading to an increased lever arm when the foot is not planted squarely with the ground. This is mitigated somewhat with stiff, high-top leather boots, but in mid-height, not so much (if at all).

That having been said, I hiked for years in a pair of heavy, thick-soled leather mid-height boots (Vasque Summit), and my ankles did okay (sample size of one). In someone prone to sprains, however, it seems obvious that it would not be the best choice.

BTW, my usage of a leather boot came about because most of my "hiking" consisted of hunting and fishing off trail in rugged country. When I finally settled in to "trail" hiking, I eventually learned to go with something less rugged. I currently use Keen shoes because they seem to have the best of both worlds for me for my current usage (mostly trail hiking with the occasional off-trail foray).

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    and I can't believe that WB censors the use of the word "White"
    And yet it wasn't censored the second time. Maybe take any rings you're wearing off while you are typing.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    And yet it wasn't censored the second time. Maybe take any rings you're wearing off while you are typing.
    Does it get censored if you don't put white in quotes?

Edit... Evidence suggests not.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Does it get censored if you don't put white in quotes?

Edit... Evidence suggests not.
    Nope, clues are in the post where it occurred and in my post about it. Wouldn't be much use if you could hide a word inside symbols or change capitalization, although it is not hard to dodge a word filter by being creative. That's the utility though, when someone does dodge it, it is obvious, and dodging the word filter does have repercussions BTW. It's like a big "**** you" and "Are you ****ing me you ?********? I can't call somebody a ****?" Personally I can have pretty salty language myself (who knew right?), but the small box of words in the control panel that actually get censored is entirely reasonable. Those interested in the puzzle please use the Go Advanced button to experiment and not post said experiments into threads. Very much appreciated and the topic is heavier leather boots.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I prefer hiking in Garmont’s myself. A mix of the best of both worlds. A little more ankle support than trail runners but not a whole lot.more weight. They suit me

Good Gawd No! I haven't been tempted to go out to the garage and strap on my 5lb + Fabiano 360s or my even heavier pair of Limmers. If you want to buy them (size 13) let me know. I'll throw in a free hair shirt.

Merry Christmas - I was a member here way back in 2005 or so and moved from WV to Florida to take care of a whole lot of family stuff. Just now getting a chance to slow down, downsize and hopefully get back on some trails.
    I've really enjoyed this thread because I'm looking for some new "boots".
    the thread is on Boots and Shoes - - - but, what about the socks? Couldn't that also lead to a host of podiatry problems? is there a "sister thread" that covers socks in as much detail as this one ?

AT in VA.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't see the advantage of permanently waterproof shoes. I don't always want that feature. Why not make them more modular and move as much of their functionality as possible to liners and socks? The waterproof feature could be added with bags or liners. Insulation in liners and socks can be replaced when wet. It might be possible to change the stiffness with liners.
    David Smolinski

I have two pairs of Limmer standard boots, around 20 years old, both have been resoled and a cobbler has fixed them. I was wearing one pair of these leather boots a few weeks ago for a local 3 hour hike, lots of up and down. I'm 6 5 or so and 240#, boots are size 14. I've been nursing my feet since then. Not sure what the trigger for the injuries were, I do use mink oil, etc. from time to time on the outside but nothing on the inside, have quality insoles and merino socks. Since then I've been wearing either my Asolo boots or Nikes which are easier on the feet. The question is whether the leather boots need to be treated on the inside?

I have never used trail runners but look forward to trying them. I have always worn boots. I have worn a pair of tennis shoes. It was a terrible idea as when they get wet they give you foot fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by Birthright View Post
    I have never used trail runners but look forward to trying them. I have always worn boots. I have worn a pair of tennis shoes. It was a terrible idea as when they get wet they give you foot fungus.
    Eh? No shoe should cause foot fungus. Did your feet stay wet for days at a time?

I made the terrible mistake of 'doing what everybody else was wearing.' HYOH, those glued together, synthetic, open-cell water logged foam shoes don't work for everybody. Neither does Altras, as their trademark toe box is not for the average American foot, hence blisters, or in may case, poor quality coupled with that.

This is one of those things where web info does not mesh with actual experience, IMO. There's lots of opinions favoring super light shoes and other gear on the web, but when you get out there you don't see as much of this as you might expect. Especially the seasoned hikers who have already done thousands of miles over many decades seem to favor a decent leather boot. Also, heavier hikers are ill advised to wear teeny little shoes, they need really strong shoes for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    This is one of those things where web info does not mesh with actual experience, IMO. There's lots of opinions favoring super light shoes and other gear on the web, but when you get out there you don't see as much of this as you might expect. Especially the seasoned hikers who have already done thousands of miles over many decades seem to favor a decent leather boot. Also, heavier hikers are ill advised to wear teeny little shoes, they need really strong shoes for obvious reasons.
    *Citation needed for obviously fabricated nonsense.

Much as there is clothing for different weather and trail conditions (including a vast array of socks), footwear is much the same. I have several types of footwear depending where I am going. On groomed trails I will use light trail runners, though I find them inadequate for use outside of stable soil trails. I will use trail shoes more frequently on less groomed trails, mid-highs on more rocky terrain and light bushwhacking in desert terrain, and high top leather boots for bushwhacking or in areas there is unstable rock, scree, or talus. This does not include traction aids like snow shoes of which I have different types, crampons, microspikes (Katoolah and Hillsound), and nano spikes.

For me it would be rare to see leather boots on the AT in MD for example given the level treadway stability, but not unusual to see them used in the alpine areas of the trail. Given the spectrum of footwear I have found no one type is "best" for all terrain, each has their own niche where I find they work best and areas where I find them impractical. However this is highly subjective topic and is really best decided through experience of the individual.

I remember those heavy boots. Never again! I feel light and free with the light weight boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Much as there is clothing for different weather and trail conditions (including a vast array of socks), footwear is much the same. I have several types of footwear depending where I am going. On groomed trails I will use light trail runners, though I find them inadequate for use outside of stable soil trails. I will use trail shoes more frequently on less groomed trails, mid-highs on more rocky terrain and light bushwhacking in desert terrain, and high top leather boots for bushwhacking or in areas there is unstable rock, scree, or talus. This does not include traction aids like snow shoes of which I have different types, crampons, microspikes (Katoolah and Hillsound), and nano spikes.

For me it would be rare to see leather boots on the AT in MD for example given the level treadway stability, but not unusual to see them used in the alpine areas of the trail. Given the spectrum of footwear I have found no one type is "best" for all terrain, each has their own niche where I find they work best and areas where I find them impractical. However this is highly subjective topic and is really best decided through experience of the individual.
    Well said.

What a great stream of fun and balderdash.

In winter, I do wear rather heavy Asolo leather goretex hiking boots. Waterproof and fairly warm; lower daily mileages in winter anyway.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by No Match View Post
    I made the terrible mistake of 'doing what everybody else was wearing.' HYOH, those glued together, synthetic, open-cell water logged foam shoes don't work for everybody. Neither does Altras, as their trademark toe box is not for the average American foot, hence blisters, or in may case, poor quality coupled with that.
    HYOH indeed, and I did see a few booted folk out there. But many more TR's. This Trek survey points in the same direction; probably a slightly younger demographic. But you do see plenty of older bloggers there too. https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...ey/?ref=slider

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++