WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe this is why.
    Another problem with leather boots is that they often have a thicker sole, placing the foot at a higher center of gravity, leading to an increased lever arm when the foot is not planted squarely with the ground. This is mitigated somewhat with stiff, high-top leather boots, but in mid-height, not so much (if at all).

That having been said, I hiked for years in a pair of heavy, thick-soled leather mid-height boots (Vasque Summit), and my ankles did okay (sample size of one). In someone prone to sprains, however, it seems obvious that it would not be the best choice.

BTW, my usage of a leather boot came about because most of my "hiking" consisted of hunting and fishing off trail in rugged country. When I finally settled in to "trail" hiking, I eventually learned to go with something less rugged. I currently use Keen shoes because they seem to have the best of both worlds for me for my current usage (mostly trail hiking with the occasional off-trail foray).

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    and I can't believe that WB censors the use of the word "White"
    And yet it wasn't censored the second time. Maybe take any rings you're wearing off while you are typing.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    And yet it wasn't censored the second time. Maybe take any rings you're wearing off while you are typing.
    Does it get censored if you don't put white in quotes?

Edit... Evidence suggests not.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Does it get censored if you don't put white in quotes?

Edit... Evidence suggests not.
    Nope, clues are in the post where it occurred and in my post about it. Wouldn't be much use if you could hide a word inside symbols or change capitalization, although it is not hard to dodge a word filter by being creative. That's the utility though, when someone does dodge it, it is obvious, and dodging the word filter does have repercussions BTW. It's like a big "**** you" and "Are you ****ing me you ?********? I can't call somebody a ****?" Personally I can have pretty salty language myself (who knew right?), but the small box of words in the control panel that actually get censored is entirely reasonable. Those interested in the puzzle please use the Go Advanced button to experiment and not post said experiments into threads. Very much appreciated and the topic is heavier leather boots.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I prefer hiking in Garmontís myself. A mix of the best of both worlds. A little more ankle support than trail runners but not a whole lot.more weight. They suit me

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++