WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I too like my stouter boots for backpacking, although if I were skipping down the trail with a full load of 15 pounds I could go barefoot or stay in my crocs or wear tennis shoes. Which brings up two main factors in shoe choice: Daily Mileage Desired and Pack Weight.

Although sherpas have been known to backpack 100 lb loads barefoot, the heavier the pack the stouter I like my boot. As Earlyriser says, they are also better on rocky trails. So pack weight has alot to do with shoe choice---as does amount of miles you want to hike per day.

My heavy Zamberlans come in at around 3 lbs 8 oz per pair and compared to barefeet or crocs or minimal shoes this is heavy. For someone wanting to pull 20 mile days with a 15 lb pack, well, these boots are not needed. For someone with a 90 lb pack on 5 mile days they work perfectly.
    So with you Zamberlans and your 90# pack you’re doing 5 mile days, nice. Then I would assume your 18-20 day trips, get you total mileage of 80 to 100 miles? Impressive considering the number of creek crossings, blowdowns and nut buster trails.
    Heck for most of your trips you could just walk there from your front porch.
    Gosh, your trash must weight more than most people’s base weight.

I do on’t think boots offer ankle support. I think to me the sole or platform is what attracts me. How can the shoes be “better” or “the best” if a hiker had to replace them every 500 miles or so? To me that the are the best/better is a contradiction. If i had a backpack and i thought it was “the best” and i had to replace it every say 500 miles would you agree it was the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Wavey View Post
    I do on’t think boots offer ankle support. I think to me the sole or platform is what attracts me. How can the shoes be “better” or “the best” if a hiker had to replace them every 500 miles or so? To me that the are the best/better is a contradiction. If i had a backpack and i thought it was “the best” and i had to replace it every say 500 miles would you agree it was the best?
    To echo Cmoulder's thought, "it depends". There really is no overall "best" in gear, there is only what is "best" for the individual depending on their circumstances. Trail footgear longevity is typically measured in miles with high top leather boots getting approximately 1200-miles or so, mid-highs getting approximately 800-miles, and low top trail shoes getting approximately 500-miles by my experience that coincides with national averages discussed in various publications and on this forum. So each of these categories will allow a best/worst that differs between individuals.

My experience with high top leather boots is they do offer more ankle support when carrying a load or on difficult terrain than low trail shoes and as pointed out do provide a more stable platform in various terrain. However when I don't need that level of support and protection, I have a pair of mid-high boots and low top trail shoes I can use with light packing loads and/or on well beaten trails like the AT. I have found a "best" shoe in all these categories trail shoe for me, which others may not find nearly as good as I do for any number of reasons.

In the broad spectrum of selections each of the foot gear categories there will likely be a "best" shoe for most everyone after a short period of trial and error.

I will say, 'do what works for you.' That said, I have returned two pair of Altra Lone Peak garbage shoes, yes garbage with less than 50 miles on them. I bought a pair of mid's for my wife and the nylon strap laces blew on the first overnight last summer-garbage. I just finished 2 weeks of backpacking in and near the Great Smokies including the AT, lots of frozen toes, cold feet, rubber delaminating from the fabric-Altras, still garbage. I find money worth too much to spend on a shoe that takes at least 3 pair at a minimum to do the AT when I saw so many finish with the boots they started in, those leather, vibram soled mid's. And this caveat I save for last. The National Park Service's number one backcountry injury to this day is the infamous 'blown ankle' due mostly to athletic type footwear. Please check that. Until next time, hike your own hike.

Quote Originally Posted by No Match View Post
    I will say, 'do what works for you.' That said, I have returned two pair of Altra Lone Peak garbage shoes, yes garbage with less than 50 miles on them. I bought a pair of mid's for my wife and the nylon strap laces blew on the first overnight last summer-garbage. I just finished 2 weeks of backpacking in and near the Great Smokies including the AT, lots of frozen toes, cold feet, rubber delaminating from the fabric-Altras, still garbage. I find money worth too much to spend on a shoe that takes at least 3 pair at a minimum to do the AT when I saw so many finish with the boots they started in, those leather, vibram soled mid's. And this caveat I save for last. The National Park Service's number one backcountry injury to this day is the infamous 'blown ankle' due mostly to athletic type footwear. Please check that. Until next time, hike your own hike.
    So why do you keep buying Altras?

I’m not buying blown ankle is the number one backcountry injury . It’s not what I found online . Soft tissue injury is number one. That includes lots of things . Could find nothing on foot wear being the problem. If you could send me a link to your findings.

thom

Has anyone tried kangaroo hide boots, which are lighter than cowhide.

Default Link to findings

I based my information from access to the National Park Service's Search and Rescue Archives.
    Its called a 'carry out.' That's when someone is unable to walk out without assistance. Ankles top the charts nation-wide. Sorry, I didn't record the records submitted. Hundreds of Park rangers & SAR techs did that. And I will NEVER buy Altras again or anything similar, thats called experience-HYOH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I’m not buying blown ankle is the number one backcountry injury . It’s not what I found online . Soft tissue injury is number one. That includes lots of things . Could find nothing on foot wear being the problem. If you could send me a link to your findings.

thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post

thom
    According to the following article, sprained ankles account for 53% of injury related evacuations during National Outdoor Leadership Courses, and recommends good hiking boots as one way to avoid sprained ankles.

https://www.eurekacamping.com/blog/a...how-treat-them
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 11-20-2021 at 00:13.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    According to the following article, sprained ankles account for 53% of injury related evacuations during National Outdoor Leadership Courses, and recommends good hiking boots as one way to avoid sprained ankles.

This is from that article
    -Losing weight
    -Strengthening the muscles of the ankle with swimming, biking, or balancing yoga poses
    -Wearing good hiking boots
    -Warm up the muscles with some stretches and exercises before beginning a hike
    -Avoid hiking in the dark or hiking on uneven terrain

Looks like to many overweight, out of shape hikers .

Avoid uneven terrain... good luck with that. Better to get fit and learn good technique.

rocky_01.jpg

Overweight, out of shape hikers describe the vast majority of people that start a through hike each year. If they keep going they will lose the weight, and get in shape, but good hiking boots will help avoid ankle injuries regardless of their weight, or physical shape.

Overweight, out of shape hikers describe the vast majority of people that start a through hike each year. If they keep going they will lose the weight, and get in shape, but good hiking boots will help avoid ankle injuries regardless of their weight, or physical shape.
    I've seen/met many AT thru hikers passing through NY and especially Harriman SP. By this point, those who started in GA have around 1400 miles or so in their legs, and it's July or August. I'd estimate that 95% are wearing trail runners.

ACTUAL SURVEY OF AT THRU-HIKERS (<-- LINK)

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've seen/met many AT thru hikers passing through NY and especially Harriman SP. By this point, those who started in GA have around 1400 miles or so in their legs, and it's July or August. I'd estimate that 95% are wearing trail runners.

ACTUAL SURVEY OF AT THRU-HIKERS (<-- LINK)
    And some of them will end up with sprained ankles, which mostly could be avoided with good hiking boots.

And some of them will end up with sprained ankles, which mostly could be avoided with good hiking boots.
    I don't believe there is any definitive evidence that a heavy, high-cut boot will reduce ankle sprains relative to a low-cut trail shoe. And certainly plenty of people have transitioned from the former to the latter and experienced fewer ankle and leg issues. Much can be found across the web on either side of the argument.

My personal experience is that my ankles fare much better in a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators than they did with many high-end boots across many manufacturers, including Limmers. I tend to hike in pretty rugged terrain in the NH Whites and such, and I like the rock protection of the Moabs sole with an insole. They work for me for 3 seasons, and an occasional winter day trip depending upon itinerary and conditions, albeit with some "winterizing" addition such as a vapor barrier or goretex socks. For serious winter overnights, always a double boot, so I can sleep with the inners and keep them from freezing.

YMMV.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I had a chat with a hiker once who insisted on boots instead of shoes for the ankle protection. He said he sprained his ankles often.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I had a chat with a hiker once who insisted on boots instead of shoes for the ankle protection. He said he sprained his ankles often.
    Maybe this is why.

Conclusion: These findings provide preliminary evidence suggesting that wearing high-top shoes can, in certain conditions, induce a delayed pre-activation timing and decreased amplitude of evertor muscle activity, and may therefore have a detrimental effect on establishing and maintaining functional ankle joint stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Before, or after he started wearing boots?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Before, or after he started wearing boots?
    While wearing boots - that's all he wore.

I based my information from access to the National Park Service's Search and Rescue Archives.
    Its called a 'carry out.' That's when someone is unable to walk out without assistance. Ankles top the charts nation-wide. Sorry, I didn't record the records submitted. Hundreds of Park rangers & SAR techs did that. And I will NEVER buy Altras again or anything similar, thats called experience-HYOH.

The first post didn't specify evacuations, while the source data quoted does.

As far as support, someone once showed me how the boot support theory is lacking. Grab the sole of your boot in the palm of one hand and with the other get a good grip on the opening where you foot goes and then bend the boot sideways. Leather is the skin of a flesh bag herbivore, it's not meant to be solidly constrictive. It's not bone, a shell, or an exoskeleton. Look at your leather boots, there are creases by the ankles I'm sure if you have worn in boots.

Given a choice for the day, I choose trail runners over boots unless I have to wear the boots. (Using a chainsaw for instance.) In the winter I will wear boots if I need the insulation or water protection.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++