WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I did all my basic training PT workouts wearing high top black leather boots. This was USAF, 1969. Ever try running a couple miles every day in high top black military boots? Sucked. No wonder they eventually went to tennis shoes.
    Yep -- the summer of 1981 sure did trash my feet, and my knees even more.

Many many many moons later, I was doing a lot of work on a friend's property, and so bought a pair of Blackhawk desert boots. They felt like a dream then, and still do. Great boot; I think I actually like them more than the various hiking shoes & boots I've worn since I took up this hiking fad. The sueded leather is really about the only reason I wouldn't take them on the AT -- they'd take forever to dry.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Tipi if all you had was sealskin mukluks you'd wear them to get you out into that slickrock area. Same with Sperry Topsiders, crocs, or blinking Nikes.

I started PCT in Altra Lone Peaks but I did not like them. My feet were constantly tired and sore, especially once we got to the volcanic areas of the Cascades. That's when I switched. I didn't go back to leather boots (though I still wear them and love them for winter hiking and backpacking) but I finished in Merrell Hiking Shoes. Loved them so much better. I'm planning on wearing them for my next thru-hike as well. On the other hand, we met many people who finished the trail in runners and were perfectly happy with them.
    My book I Had a Dream, I Lived It is now available on Amazon. 1% of all 2018 sales will go to Pacific Crest Trail Association. http://goo.gl/pLfXMO Happy Trails!

So it se ms after all there’s years and experiences, the answer remains the same:

Different shoes for different people and activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    So it se ms after all there’s years and experiences, the answer remains the same:

Different shoes for different people and activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    this ^^^^^^^

"I think if you're a young guy -- like the folks who started the trail runner fad -- you can hike in just about anything.[/QUOTE]

I would argue against "young guys" "starting the trail runner fad" Most credit Ray Jardine in his book "Beyond Backpacking" for starting the long distance hiking in tennis shoes "fad". He was anything but young at the time of publication. Dude was born in 1944...

I would encourage folks to just do what works for them. Heavy and high or light and low or somewhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    "I think if you're a young guy -- like the folks who started the trail runner fad -- you can hike in just about anything.
    I would argue against "young guys" "starting the trail runner fad" Most credit Ray Jardine in his book "Beyond Backpacking" for starting the long distance hiking in tennis shoes "fad". He was anything but young at the time of publication. Dude was born in 1944...

I would encourage folks to just do what works for them. Heavy and high or light and low or somewhere in between.[/QUOTE] Yes, and the market has a full range of footwear, from rigid mountaineering boots to flip flops (not to mention bare feet).
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have far less tendency to roll my ankles when wearing something more minimalist like Altra Superior. I think the combined low stack height and wide base are key.

Too bad they were shredded after about 200 mi.

Anybody have experience with durable minimalist shoes?

And the notion that people are going back to boots from "fad" trail runners is just plain wrong.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-29-2018 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabigabs View Post
    I started PCT in Altra Lone Peaks but I did not like them. My feet were constantly tired and sore, especially once we got to the volcanic areas of the Cascades. That's when I switched. I didn't go back to leather boots (though I still wear them and love them for winter hiking and backpacking) but I finished in Merrell Hiking Shoes. Loved them so much better. I'm planning on wearing them for my next thru-hike as well. On the other hand, we met many people who finished the trail in runners and were perfectly happy with them.
    It may not be so clear an issue as boot verse trail runner. We're you going for the first time or new to zero drop footwear for longer duration backpacking?

I wouldn’t say that I have GONE back to all leather boots, but I still have them.
    I also didn’t GO to minimal trail runners. Opting instead for sturdy OFF trail runners.
    My feet appreciate the difference.
    Right tool for the job and all that.
    Wayne

Of course, the "Right Tool for the Job" still applies. I have Vasque Snowblimes that I use in winter. If I were mountaineering I'd use my Scarpa Inverno plastic double boots — 3 lbs each and comfortable as bedroom slippers.

I have read of people using trail runners in the winter with a complicated system of overboots (Neos, 40 Below) and various socks and VBL/GTX layers. I thought about this but decided against it because when the weight of all the components is added up it is about the same (or more!) than boots, unnecessarily complex, and it was impractical to walk on snow/ice when not wearing snowshoes or microspikes.

I'm not going to do that just so I can say I'm wearing trail runners in winter. However, I do use some Cascadia GTX shoes for short trips in the winter when there's only 3-4" of snow on the ground and it is going to remain frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Of course, the "Right Tool for the Job" still applies. I have Vasque Snowblimes that I use in winter. If I were mountaineering I'd use my Scarpa Inverno plastic double boots — 3 lbs each and comfortable as bedroom slippers.

I have read of people using trail runners in the winter with a complicated system of overboots (Neos, 40 Below) and various socks and VBL/GTX layers. I thought about this but decided against it because when the weight of all the components is added up it is about the same (or more!) than boots, unnecessarily complex, and it was impractical to walk on snow/ice when not wearing snowshoes or microspikes.

I'm not going to do that just so I can say I'm wearing trail runners in winter. However, I do use some Cascadia GTX shoes for short trips in the winter when there's only 3-4" of snow on the ground and it is going to remain frozen.
    Good pts. I break it down like this: in order to have the right tool for the job first have to rightly access the conditions of the job

I have 2 different pairs of trail runners or tennis shoes.
    I guess that's the difference
    One is a pair of Merrill Dovecastle Rock shoes and man they seem heavy. Especially compared to:
    2/ Adidas no name tennis shoes. Man these things are lightweight and I love them.

But, I am preparing for a trip in 10 days to Tasmania where it snowed last week.
    So, I am a little hesitant to take the lightweight Adidas'
    But man, what a difference in walking between these two pair of shoes.

As far as going back to the old leather boots.
    Oh man, no way!
    I remember Limmers.
    5 lbs on my feet: Never again.

Wish I had a scale to weigh these Adidas'.
    I am guessing 2-3 oz. (per pair!)

When are they going to add postal scales to smartphones? LOL.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post

I would encourage folks to just do what works for them. Heavy and high or light and low or somewhere in between.
    Yes, and the market has a full range of footwear, from rigid mountaineering boots to flip flops (not to mention bare feet).[/QUOTE]

Ray Jardine did a heck of a lot more than start the ultralight mania. The guy was a superman. For that matter, Grandma Gates hiked the AT in a pair of Keds and used a shower curtain as a tent -- after raising ten kids. Doesn't mean ordinary human beings could do that.

Sure, do what works for you. I just say make it easy on yourself and don't expect the things super humans get away with to work for you. And when it comes to footwear, apply a little common sense. No, you don't need a pair of 6 pound full-leather Asolo's, designed for climbing Everest. But there are lots of good boots in the 3 pound range that will work a heck of a lot better for climbing mountains than a pair of sneakers. But if you can do it in flip-flops, more power to you. Most of us old folks can't.

Approach shoes are an alien concept at WhiteBlaze. A good in between concept for folks who find trail runners lacking.
    I replaced 4 pound 4 ounce Pivetta boots with 30 ounce off trail Ultra Raptors. I’m pleased in non winter conditions. The Pivetta or Bean boots for snow.
    Wayne

There is no substitute for trying stuff and seeing what works for you. In winter, I like a leather waterproof boot. I don't like the weight, but I like the warmth and resistance to water/snow/slush. Any other time of the year, it's trail runners for me.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Approach shoes are an alien concept at WhiteBlaze. A good in between concept for folks who find trail runners lacking.
    I replaced 4 pound 4 ounce Pivetta boots with 30 ounce off trail Ultra Raptors. I’m pleased in non winter conditions. The Pivetta or Bean boots for snow.
    Wayne
    Back in the early 1980s me and my backpacking buddies used Nike Approach boots and we loved them---and of course discontinued but they may still be made in some corner of the world.

PISGAH-L.jpg
    Here I am in 1983 on a trip to Harper Creek is Pisgah NF. Check out the Nike boots. They were actually called Nike Approach.

nike-air-approach-mid-1.jpg
    Here's a better pic of the thing and taken off the interwad.

I still have my old leather boots that I wore back in the service. (That's 40+ years.) I only use them for church service and date night with the Mrs. Does anyone remember how to spit shine these things? (Sorry, it's been a long time since those shoe had a real shine on them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    I still have my old leather boots that I wore back in the service. (That's 40+ years.) I only use them for church service and date night with the Mrs. Does anyone remember how to spit shine these things? (Sorry, it's been a long time since those shoe had a real shine on them.)
    How could a person forget? I learned in high school. That was before the Beatles.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Corfam!

That spit shine was all for show anyway while wearing dress uniform.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++