Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

You could try asking people at area truck stops. No chance of a ticket/arrest, get hit by someone or something and most people usually pretty friendly. Besides most major truck stops have showers so you can clean up, they have coin op laundry, you can grab a decent meal and may catch a ride with someone. It helps if you don't smell like dirty socks that haven't been washed in 6 months and smile even if they say they can't help you. Thank them any ways.
    Blackheart

Regarding getting into Idyllwild, due to the trail closure most people seem to hitch from the paradise valley cafe. I did the long road walk because I wanted to maintain a solid set of footprints from the Mexican border. It's not a fun road walk.

PVC is at the 243 crossing. Some het water there

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Regarding getting into Idyllwild, due to the trail closure most people seem to hitch from the paradise valley cafe. I did the long road walk because I wanted to maintain a solid set of footprints from the Mexican border. It's not a fun road walk.
    The trail isn't closed, you can get all the way to mile 169, and there's an off-road 6 mile walk into town. People use the _idea_ of the closure to justify the hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    The trail isn't closed, you can get all the way to mile 169, and there's an off-road 6 mile walk into town. People use the _idea_ of the closure to justify the hitch.
    The trail was indeed closed shortly after the highway junction heading Nobo in 2015. I did the road walk to the point where I could take the off road route into town which I recall began somewhat after the campground at lake hemet.

Plenty of people hitch to get past bad spots and that's ok. Personally I am always looking for an unbroken walk on longer hikes.

I tried to cross 243 to ascend San Jacinto in 06. Authorities stopped me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Your pack is virtually weightless. How far is it from Idyllwild to Big Bear? Go for it.
    Wayne
    I did Warner Springs to Big Bear but the closures Idylwild is not far off the beaten path. If you haven't downloaded Halfmiles map do it, it will answer the specific route in.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++