Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Bear Canisters on the Southern PCT (Campo->Kennedy)

Is it totally silly, or only mostly silly to carry a lightweight (31 oz Berikade) on the southern 700 miles of the PCT?

From what I have read, there are some bear areas along this section, though not as many as further north. But of course there are also lots of other hungry critters. And I might suppose there are limited places to hang food, so I also suppose a lot of folks just sleep with their food.

My "normal" food storage weighs 5-6 ounces or so, so this would be a 1lb-10oz weight penalty, but it also makes a nice camp stool...

I'm seriously thinking about just carrying the darn thing as a convenience, the rest of my kit is pretty UL (16oz tent, 20oz quilt, 1.5# pack, etc, etc).

Would I be the only person in the Entire PCT History to be carrying a canister on the southern PCT?

Any thoughts appreciated, even smart a$$ cynical ones.

Not needed. Inconvenient. H20 wt and and volume is the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Is it totally silly, or only mostly silly to carry a lightweight (31 oz Berikade) on the southern 700 miles of the PCT?

From what I have read, there are some bear areas along this section, though not as many as further north. But of course there are also lots of other hungry critters. And I might suppose there are limited places to hang food, so I also suppose a lot of folks just sleep with their food.

My "normal" food storage weighs 5-6 ounces or so, so this would be a 1lb-10oz weight penalty, but it also makes a nice camp stool...

I'm seriously thinking about just carrying the darn thing as a convenience, the rest of my kit is pretty UL (16oz tent, 20oz quilt, 1.5# pack, etc, etc).

Would I be the only person in the Entire PCT History to be carrying a canister on the southern PCT?

Any thoughts appreciated, even smart a$$ cynical ones.
    In researching, I've seen some who carry a can although they're in the minority. I'm planning on a URSAK and swap out for a Bearikade prior to the Sierra. (1.5lb savings) If you watch Dixie (HomeMadeWanderlust), her friend Perk carried a can on the desert section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would the bear can serve any benefit in carrying water? As a means of corralling water bottles and freeing up pack space? Assuming the bear can rides on top of your pack secured by an over the top strap like I see people do with HMG packs.
    If I’m making any sense. Otherwise I was never here.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Would the bear can serve any benefit in carrying water? As a means of corralling water bottles and freeing up pack space? Assuming the bear can rides on top of your pack secured by an over the top strap like I see people do with HMG packs.
    Wayne
    For most of us it's less about freeing up cubic inches and more about the added weight- especially for the desert section where you may need to carry additional liters of water to make the next water source. 2.2lb x 6 liters adds up quick. Need to cut weight elsewhere

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne
    Sure you were making sense, but pack volume is not a problem at all with my kit, I generally don't get close to filling up my Zpacks 60L Arc Haul, even with a canister in it. I carry the canister on top of everything else in my pack, vertical, sticking out of the top just barely, sometimes, but rarely (thoroughly tested for 16 days last fall on the Sierra High Route, see attached pic, the canister is on the left, up high, but well inside the pack). If I happened upon a dry stretch with a full food load and needed to carry 6-7L (more?) of water, everything would still fit. I think. Easy to test. But without a full food load, yeah, the canister could hold a couple of 2L platypuses (platypi?) with the food.

I hear everyone on the weight thing, and I realize an extra 1.6 pounds of canister is silly to most folks. Just getting a feel for how silly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
    In researching, I've seen some who carry a can although they're in the minority. I'm planning on a URSAK and swap out for a Bearikade prior to the Sierra. (1.5lb savings) If you watch Dixie (HomeMadeWanderlust), her friend Perk carried a can on the desert section.

The URsack is an excellent idea, works well in Colorado too. More gear!

Default Bear Canisters on the Southern PCT (Campo->Kennedy)

Yeah, Rob, you'd be the only person in history to carry a bear can down there! Except for that guy Perk. I wouldn't put much stock in Perk's choice of gear, tho. He was also the only guy in history to wear a necktie while hiking the PCT. (Yes folks, the dude was wearing a necktie)! ?
    However, I sometimes (probably all the time) carry stuff I don't need. And I'm even getting better (or worse, depending on your perspective ) at it. The reason is for training. I figure sometime I might need that bearcan, so I might as well start getting used to carrying it. My first hike from Campo, I was totally unprepared for the weight I was carrying -- mostly in water. Decided not to make that mistake again.
    And in addition to the weight, there's also getting used to the placement. Where am I gonna put that bear can? Am I going to have to move stuff to make room for it? Where am I going to put that stuff? Might take a while , trying different ways of packing to find what you like best...
    That's the only reason I'd take a bear can south of Kennedy, tho. Just so I'm used to it already, when it becomes required...
    btw, Dixie commented, with a wink and a nod, that while carrying a bear can was required, it was NOT required that you actually have all your food inside it. (Which - if you don't - kinda negates the whole main reason for having it in the first place)...

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Sure you were making sense, but pack volume is not a problem at all with my kit, I generally don't get close to filling up my Zpacks 60L Arc Haul, even with a canister in it. I carry the canister on top of everything else in my pack, vertical, sticking out of the top just barely, sometimes, but rarely (thoroughly tested for 16 days last fall on the Sierra High Route, see attached pic, the canister is on the left, up high, but well inside the pack). If I happened upon a dry stretch with a full food load and needed to carry 6-7L (more?) of water, everything would still fit. I think. Easy to test. But without a full food load, yeah, the canister could hold a couple of 2L platypuses (platypi?) with the food.

I hear everyone on the weight thing, and I realize an extra 1.6 pounds of canister is silly to most folks. Just getting a feel for how silly.
    Definitely a cumulative task, 8oz here, 4oz there. On my "Gear To-Buy" list I've swapped or cut out items of clothing, tents, cooking items, water filtration and probably 50 other things over the last few months, fighting between weight, safety, functionality and comfort. In the end, it comes down to what you want to carry on your back. I'm a big guy (5'11 and thick) so the weight is less of an impact but I'm also 56 years old and not as resilient as I used to be; and a 23 year old 140lb guy will have a whole different set of dynamics and priorities. Darwin recently did a good job on YouTube discussing this topic- base weight always evolving with trek environment, experience and new gear releases.

Images

No way would I carry a canister in SoCal Or even an Ursack. There has only been a couple of places where bears have been problematic over the years, north of Walker and around Whitewater. But even with the thousands of hikers going through there you just don't hear of more than a couple of encounter over the years.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

You guys are definitely talking me out of this nonsense. Thanks.

Shucks. We failed.
    Have fun! The new snow might make water a bit easier to find.
    Wayne

Death by a thousand grams. Every ounce is an ounce.

ColoradoRob, do you use Lighterpack.com? Great tool

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
    ColoradoRob, do you use Lighterpack.com? Great tool

I do not, but maybe I'll check it out sometime, I see lots of folks using it on here. I'm not being snobby, but I do have my kit pretty well dialed though, looking at 9 lb base weight for this PCT endeavor, not extreme UL, somewhere around "average UL" I suppose. (without that silly Bear canister., that is)

Just an editorial on gram counting: over my decades of backpacking, where I have continuously tried to reduce my carried weight, I think I've finally hit a point of diminishing returns. What I mean is that when my total pack weight gets below about 20-22 pounds or so, I basically pretty much quit noticing it. And anything below 28-30 pounds is pretty darn comfortable.

So, for me, there is no real benefit of a, say, 6 or 7 pound base weight vs my 9 pound, except on those rare days (hopefully!) when I have 6 days of food (10lb) in my pack and 6 liters of water (13lb) when my pack will weigh 32 pounds, those days I wish I had that 2 pounds less on my base. But I like my full bug screen tent and full length pad, cozy quilt, jetboil stove, comfy 4-oz pillow and external phone battery and such. My true extreme UL buddy gives me grief all the time (he's at 5.5 base for summer hiking), but I laugh back at him and keep up just fine.

Thanks all for talking me down from that extra 1.6-ish pounds of silliness!

We all need talking down from the ledge occasionaly.

Not that it is needed but I'll reiterate what's been said - no need whatsoever. I never saw or heard of any bear issues in the 700 miles to Kennedy Meadows back in April/early May of 2015. I picked up my bearikade at KM. You'll be very glad to not have that extra two pounds with the longer water carries.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    btw, Dixie commented, with a wink and a nod, that while carrying a bear can was required, it was NOT required that you actually have all your food inside it.
    Well, tell the ranger at Charlotte Lake that Dixie said it was OK, that'll go over well.

There's no need for a bear can from Campo to Kennedy Meadows. Although I've carried a can when it's not required, as others say, you'll want to use that weight for water down south.

Good luck on your hike, you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    btw, Dixie commented, with a wink and a nod, that while carrying a bear can was required, it was NOT required that you actually have all your food inside it.
    Well, tell the ranger at Charlotte Lake that Dixie said it was OK, that'll go over well.
    I think, if you told the ranger, it would likely negate the 'wink and nod' aspect of Dixie's comment. ?
    I found, generally when she said stuff like this, she'd always say something like, "Not telling YOU what to do, but just what I observed"....

I think, if you told the ranger, it would likely negate the 'wink and nod' aspect of Dixie's comment. ?
    I found, generally when she said stuff like this, she'd always say something like, "Not telling YOU what to do, but just what I observed"....
    I've heard the same from Yogi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++