Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've heard the opposite from the rangers working Charlotte and Rae Lakes. I'd believe them over Dixie and Yogi. Tell you what, if you see George Durkee out there, run that by him, see how amused he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    ...Dixie commented, with a wink and a nod, that while carrying a bear can was required, it was NOT required that you actually have all your food inside it. (Which - if you don't - kinda negates the whole main reason for having it in the first place)...

No wink and nod required. What Dixie said is the law. You don't need to have all your food in a canister. Your first day and night’s food doesn’t need to fit in your canister. When that food isn't in the canister you have to always have that food on your person in your immediate possession. ALL of your food and scented items must be in the canister once you make camp... in storage. When we know and demonstrate abiding by the law and fulfill its intention Rangers don't have a problem.

The idea of a bear can is to get bears from getting food. Food legally stored according to the law on one's person outside of a can when hiking doesn't negate honoring those intentions or the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    No wink and nod required. What Dixie said is the law. You don't need to have all your food in a canister. Your first day and night’s food doesn’t need to fit in your canister. When that food isn't in the canister you have to always have that food on your person in your immediate possession. ALL of your food and scented items must be in the canister once you make camp... in storage. When we know and demonstrate abiding by the law and fulfill its intention Rangers don't have a problem.

The idea of a bear can is to get bears from getting food. Food legally stored according to the law on one's person outside of a can when hiking doesn't negate honoring those intentions or the law.
    Correct Sir! Do we keep our trail snacks in the bear can while we are still hiking? NO. Also, she was having a little fun with the topic and wasn't being serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Dixie is offering the bear can advice she did, although accurate, I wonder if she actually knew the bear can law details if she included a wink and nod. No wink and nod was needed. An explanation of the law with those included details is what should have been offered not something that suggests impropriety.

The bear can law exists to keep bears from getting food making for greater safety for both the bears and humans. Promote that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The bear can law exists to keep bears from getting food making for greater safety for both the bears and humans.
    I wish more people realized that. Ask any ranger, they'll tell you they hate having to shoot a bear.

@gwschenk Some might say Duh! But we can get side tracked or make things seem more complicated then needed losing sight of the main intention. Smiley

I've seen signs of black bears in the San Jacintos, San Bernardino Mtns (in fact I remember a bear that bit through a tent onto a Boy Scouts head who brought a snickers bar to bed about 20 years ago), San Gabriels, and that section between Tehachapi and Kennedy Meadows. That said, I never bring a bear can or Ursack when hiking in these areas as you will seldom have an encounter and we aren't talking about bears with a Yosemite level of acclamation to humans.

That said, don't camp at Little Jimmy trail camp just after Wrightwood and at Joshua Tree Spring? (the one that tested positive for low levels of uranium; though most springs along the PCT haven't been tested so who knows what you are drinking) between Tehachapi and Kennedy Meadows as your odds of seeing one there will be much higher based on past reported experience.

We never had any problems in SoCal and never felt a need for it. Make sure to have plenty of space for water when hiking through the desert. This is a drier year and you might need to carry around 7 liters at some sections. Water IMHO is the biggest priority at that part of the trail.
    My book I Had a Dream, I Lived It is now available on Amazon. 1% of all 2018 sales will go to Pacific Crest Trail Association. http://goo.gl/pLfXMO Happy Trails!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++