WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tobydo55 View Post
    This is the reason I am switching back to a bag. I have several lightweight insulated pads including neoair trekker and big Agnes slx. But many nights I was chilly in my EE 20 degree quilt, when the temps were in the low 40’s. The cold seemed to be coming from the ground, not around the edges. So that meant if temps were below 45, I had to bring my big Agnes q core which weighs two pounds! Sure the quilt is only 20 ounces, but the pad is 33oz. I would feel better with a 24-27oz bag, a 16oz pad, and no fuss of quilt straps.
    Yup, people have different thermostats and furnaces. I’m just opposite, run hot, like the versatility.

...Sure the quilt is only 20 ounces, but the pad is 33oz. I would feel better with a 24-27oz bag, a 16oz pad, and no fuss of quilt straps.
    You know it. It certainly is possible to sleep warmer at less overall system wt with less complexity and fudge factor and hassle with a bag option. Yet, it's commonly held you need to employ a quilt to save wt, save money.....

And, when noting this quilt promoters excuse the differences in warmth to different internal thermostats or resort to mentioning pads. Yet, after moving tbe goal posts, will rah rah the wt savings by choosing a narrowed comparison reviewing just the quilt or sleeping bag wt when it's known a quilt more heavily has to be considered as a component in a sleep system than the same temp rated sleeping bag.

Actually, I’m a rotisserie sleep so a quilt is a better option. Granted it’s not as warm as a regular bag, certainly not as warm as a tapered mummy. When in circumstances that dictate more insulation, I just wear more clothes to bed. So, in my case, I do save weight and money, YMMV

Personally the Ford vs Chevy debate is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Yup, people have different thermostats and furnaces. I’m just opposite, run hot, like the versatility.
    This is history repeating itself. The exact same tactic was utilized to explain away questionably assigned temp rating discrepancies comparing same temp rated sleeping bags previous to standardization through EN ratings.

This being noted as an owner and employer of three different currently held quilts( two different Katabatic and an EE) and three different conventional high end sleeping bags(two different WM and one FF, recently relinquished a Valandre).

TU Hosh.

I have issue staying as warm in a 15* quilt as a rotisserie sleeper even of an appropriate size with a great pad attachment system, no straps, compared to everthing else being the same sleeping in a 15* bag. The colder the temp rating of the quilt taking it down to the temp rating the more it's noticed. I'm much more inclined to cowboy camp or take the temp rating to and a bit below in a sleeping bag than the same temp rated quilt.

Xtherm Long. 77x25. R-5.7. 20 ounces.
    Interesting set of numbers we have.
    Yours: 20 ounce quilt and 33 ounce pad.
    Mine: 33 ounce Alpinlite Long and 20 ounce Xtherm Long. Personally comfy to 15 degrees.
    I’m only 5’-8”. I bought the large Xtherm for the width and the Alpinlite Long for the price.
    I don’t notice the extra few ounces when I’m sleeping soundly.
    Wayne

Images

Yikes, the OP spelled out specifically he wasn't interested in a quilt, why do you guys harp on with the same OLD dis-information about quilts? Let it go. We're happy four you. This thread is about sleeping bags.

Cannot comment on the FF bag. I used to have a Megalite and I really liked the oversize measurements that let me get into the bag with lots of in-camp layers on without compressing the ML loft from within. I used it down to zero degrees F in this way, wearing a down jacket and insulated pants inside the bag. I now use quilts down to mid 20's and sold my ML and replaced it with the even warmer (and also oversized) WM Badger. So I'm not saying you should get a quilt, just saying that I found the ML to be very functional for me over a wide temp range, say 10 to 50 degrees F, anyway.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I would appreciate input on the differences in these two bags. I have a WM Ponderosa for winter camping and love it. Am looking for a new bag to serve me the rest of the year. Please don’t suggest a quilt as I am coming off of two years with an EE quilt and am ready to go back to a bag. I was about to purchase the megalite, and stumbled upon the Feathered Friends web site.

Specs:

Megalite
    30 degrees. 64/56/39. 12oz of 850 down. 24oz

Kestrel UL
    30 degrees. 64/58/40. 15.7oz of 950 down. 27 ounces.

The Main difference is obvious in that the FF has 3 more ounces of down. But I wonder if 3 more ounces of 950 down wouldn’t change the temp rating given the bags are roughly the same size. I say that without knowing anything about the difference between 850 and 950 down. My Ponderosa has been taken below its rating, so I have no reason to doubt the Megalite rating. But I am wondering if the Kesterel is more of a 20 degree bag. Any thoughts?
    Dogwood is the feathered friends guy... I like WM but unless there was a deal involved I'd call it a coinflip for the most part. Retail price looks about even, and I don't think either brand is ever on sale.

I agree... the Kestrel looks overfilled a hair (or a typo). Though 950 has never panned out well for me in real life... maybe not for FF either and they overfill a bit to combat that.

On the otherhand, jumping up to the Alpinlite...

6'0" 30° F 4" 64"/56"/39" 12 oz 1lb 8oz
    6'0" 20° F 5.5" 64"/55"/39" 19 oz 1 lb 15 oz

from 12 ounces to 19 ounces is a massive jump for 10* in a similar bag so I wonder if the typo is Western Mountaineering's?
    Either the Alpinlite should have around 17... or the Megalite around 14 ounces.
    Yar... I see the extra draft collar but that is a half ounce or so of fill.

Strange...

Either way... I might be inclined to try the FF bag... simply because I've never owned one and I always hear good things.

But barring that... I'd probably stick with the trusted brand, lighter weight, and 850 down for this temp range and bag type.

I can't really tell from the FF pics, but the footbox doesn't look shaped. Not always an issue, but something to consider if you are used to WM's cut as well.

So... nothing but a great deal or curiosity that would make me jump ship if I were you.

PS- I sell quilts, and prefer a mummy bag around 20* or so if I'm not in a hammock.
    Quilts are not for everyone, everytime, everywhere.
    They are not always technically lighter either if you count the headgear... or have to buy wider, carry pad straps, and other accessories.
    Quilts are great for long distance hikes over a broad range of temps... but given a deep enough quiver and shorter trips it's rare the mummy doesn't do it better for a week on the ground.

Also rare you will die a horrible death using a mummy as a quilt if things get too warm despite what quilt folks claim.

And if something doesn't work for you... doesn't matter how sweet it works for someone else.

@Tobydo If ever in the Seattle downtown area you can feel and touch and in store demo FF bags at their FF flagship store with on pt knowledgable staff. Walk down the street to the Seattle REI large flagship store and they offer a larger than typical REI bag section which, last time I was there, included some WM bags.

While there you might want to check out the ArcTeryx, ExOfficio, Falljraven, Outdoor Research stores and several other outdoor gear stores. Seattle has it going on when it comes to so many different hiking gear touch and feel opps!

@JB DW is both a FF and WM guy. He he. Hard to get WM to do custom work. FF will do it more readily.

Crunch and munch.

from 12 ounces to 19 ounces is a massive jump for 10* in a similar bag so I wonder if the typo is Western Mountaineering's?
    Either the Alpinlite should have around 17... or the Megalite around 14 ounces.
    Yar... I see the extra draft collar but that is a half ounce or so of fill.

Maybe the shell/baffle material?

I mistakenly (and foolishly, because I should've asked!) bought an item with shell made of 20D that was otherwise identical spec (size, fill material) to something I already had in 10D and the weight difference was about 6 oz or so, somewhat in line with the weight diff with your comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yikes, the OP spelled out specifically he wasn't interested in a quilt, why do you guys harp on with the same OLD dis-information about quilts? Let it go. We're happy four you. This thread is about sleeping bags.
    Decaf. Get out of the house. Lighten up. The OP mentioned and asked about quilts. It's his thread.

This is the reason I am switching back to a bag.(from a quilt) I have several lightweight insulated pads including neoair trekker and big Agnes slx. But many nights I was chilly in my EE 20 degree quilt, when the temps were in the low 40’s. The cold seemed to be coming from the ground, not around the edges. So that meant if temps were below 45, I had to bring my big Agnes q core which weighs two pounds! Sure the quilt is only 20 ounces, but the pad is 33oz. I would feel better with a 24-27oz bag, a 16oz pad, and no fuss of quiltstraps.

Doing a bit of arithmetic...
    The Megalite & Alpinlite minus the down weight = the same shell weight.
    I learned a long time ago that I could get through fall weather in the Rockies with 3" of top loft. The morning that I spent with the Megalite and the Alpinlite, the Megalite seemed under filled to me. The zipper tube in particular was lacking. I bought the Alpinlite even though it was a Long. Multiple mornings in the Teens later I made the right choice for me & my preferred season and locations.
    In my experience, the Megalite would be lacking not the Alpinlite.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe the shell/baffle material?

I mistakenly (and foolishly, because I should've asked!) bought an item with shell made of 20D that was otherwise identical spec (size, fill material) to something I already had in 10D and the weight difference was about 6 oz or so, somewhat in line with the weight diff with your comparison.
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Doing a bit of arithmetic...
    The Megalite & Alpinlite minus the down weight = the same shell weight.
    I learned a long time ago that I could get through fall weather in the Rockies with 3" of top loft. The morning that I spent with the Megalite and the Alpinlite, the Megalite seemed under filled to me. The zipper tube in particular was lacking. I bought the Alpinlite even though it was a Long. Multiple mornings in the Teens later I made the right choice for me & my preferred season and locations.
    In my experience, the Megalite would be lacking not the Alpinlite.
    Wayne
    I agree with Wayne... Shells should be nearly identical that's why I thought it was a good example to bring to the conversation.
    Though an ounce (max) for slightly thicker baffles and the bulkier/extra draft collars would be a reasonable assumption to make... 1/2 ounce in 20d shell is probably more accurate. (not enough to matter much).

Hard to say if the Aplinlite is overfilled or the megalite underfilled... or both. Though again... I'd defer to his head to head comparison. Even if the megalite might have been tough to compare as a thirty in the teens... using a bag just beyond it's rating highlights issues like a draft tube mentioned. Though bulkier collars and draft tubes could consume an ounce of fill.

I like my summerlite and that's inline with the fill on the megalite... so maybe WM simply uses a different model when jumping from 30* to 20* and beyond.
    However they do it... most agree they do it right so doubt you can go wrong either way.

I'm still debating picking up a Versalite... one of these days. Didn't get out this winter enough to pull the trigger and I'm fat enough now I probably should try one out.

I ended up getting the REI Magma 10 due to coupon's and dividends... but likely going back. My fat ass did fit in there... will work great for my wife as a shoulder season bag if I keep it.
    That and the Winter Hyperlite were a bit of a disappointment this winter overall.

https://www.rei.com/product/110922/r...eping-bag-mens

Decent 25*/30* bag for 2lbs though at a decent price for any interested in it. With the member coupon you won't find better for about $280. Good early season AT bag and a big step up in quality for an REI piece.
    Just not quite there on the rating. It is EN comfort 22* to be fair, but that's a tad optimistic. It will be interesting to see if they do more with this series... great alternative to the WM summerlite for those on a budget and a pretty quality piece for off the shelf REI.

But for the real deal 10*... going to have to go with the Versalite.

Yar! Just Bill,
    One very happy WM Antelope customer here. Same pattern as the Versalite. 6 ounces more down than the Versalite. I do the love the Antelope, but there are days when I wish that I had bought the Versalite. Mainly because I haven't done enough winter trips.
    Helping you spend your money.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yar! Just Bill,
    One very happy WM Antelope customer here. Same pattern as the Versalite. 6 ounces more down than the Versalite. I do the love the Antelope, but there are days when I wish that I had bought the Versalite. Mainly because I haven't done enough winter trips.
    Helping you spend your money.
    Wayne
    Yar, the versalite fits my needs better... 50/30/10 is generally my quiver. I've had my TNF inferno (or something like that) for a good 20 years and it started as -20 bag... so I can reach for that monster when needed.

Stacking my Primaloft Gold summer quilt over the 30 or future 10* is a system I like since I'll wear the summer quilt as a camp puffy and would do the job. I'm pretty well set on the quilt side as I've been in the hammocks more often, but the Versalite would round things out on the mummy side.

No real wrong choices with WM... just dealing with cracking the bank account open. Been building out the family gear more though and winter will remain a solo affair for some time still.

I have both the Versalite and the megalite, any time it goes below 35 degrees I take the Versalite....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Same here I like my 20 quilt above 30 but any lower I want zipped inside a warm cocoon. The quilt is warm enough but I just move around too much causing uncomfortable drafts and it's a pia. I've also compared these in detail and decided I want WM Megalite from HermitHut.com with FREE 2oz overfill! Megalite also has a top collar and I prefer the blue color. It's only 4oz heavier than my quilt for warm cozy comfort in most any temps I'd see. The WM may also hold resale better if you decide to change since has better brand recognition. Can't go wrong with either though like choosing between Farrari or Porche.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++