Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Last Minute PCT Permit Question.....

A recent family conflict precludes my wife from doing a 3-week section of the AT next month (and I was joining her), so I decided to give a big section of the PCT a go this spring, so last night I looked online and lo-and-behold there was a single permit available for starting next Thursday, 3/29 (all the rest of March, April and May were booked at the 50 limit).

So I clicked the date, filled out the online form and submitted, then got an email back saying "congratulations, your permit app has been received, you'll hear back within 3 weeks".

Well, since this would be starting in more like 6 days from now, this is a bit concerning....

So, my question is: Has anyone else gone through this last-minute permit process, and if so, did you get your permit a couple/few days later vs. the "up to 3 weeks" thing?

I tried calling the permit office, no luck so far. I'll keep trying.

(Since everything was free to cancel, I went ahead and made all arrangements for getting to the trailhead; easy-peasy, $120 flight to SD, rent a car to El Cajon for $41 including all taxes, $56 hotel in El Cajon, bus ride the next morning to Campo. I rented a car vs. another bus to El Cajon because I wanted to do a few other fun things in SD that day.)

Any info on this last minute permit thing appreciated.

how big is that section? if it's less than 500 miles, you won't need that permit. you might - or might not - need other permits tho, depending on where you're hiking...

Actually, you can Google the Cleveland National Forest, call them up, and they can give you the permit you need for the first section.

Images

Thanks Jefals, but I plan on doing the ~700 miles to Kennedy (whatever it is), then coming back later in the summer to continue on. I will use the <500-mile section plan as a backup though, so thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Thanks Jefals, but I plan on doing the ~700 miles to Kennedy (whatever it is), then coming back later in the summer to continue on. I will use the <500-mile section plan as a backup though, so thanks.
    Well, why don't you try getting that permit from Cleveland NF. That'll get you started, and, by the time you get out of that range, the other one will probably have come thru...

Jeff has a plan. The 500 mile permit gets you on the trail at Campo. The PCTA permit will appear eventually.
    Nobody will be around to look at permits anyway.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Jeff has a plan. The 500 mile permit gets you on the trail at Campo. The PCTA permit will appear eventually.
    Nobody will be around to look at permits anyway.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Wayne
    Thanks, W. I think you meant to say "The Cleveland NF permit gets you on at Campo", tho. ?

Sure. Whatever.
    I at least got the last sentence correct.
    I thought that the 500 miles or less permit was the Cleveland NF permit or included the Cleveland NF permit. Don’t forget the California Fire Permit. And the Permit for the Permit Permit. Paraphrasing Popeye.
    Just go hiking!
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Well, why don't you try getting that permit from Cleveland NF. That'll get you started, and, by the time you get out of that range, the other one will probably have come thru...
    Of course! That works, Thanks Jefals and Wayne! And good reminder about the Fire permit. Funny on the "permit" thing, almost 40 years of hiking in Colorado, and now a bunch back east, the only place I've ever been asked to see a permit is in California, twice now. For both ethical and legal-hassle reasons, I'll stick with staying completely legal in CA.

Rob,
    I think you’re good. I found this in the PCTA application process:
    “After you have applied:
    You’ll get an email confirming receipt of your application right away. Information in this email will give you access to your permit management area.”
    Doesn’t that mean that a printed copy of the first email serves as a permit until the real permit arrives?
    Wayne

Images

Rob,
    “After you have applied:
    You’ll get an email confirming receipt of your application right away. Information in this email will give you access to your permit management area.”
    Doesn’t that mean that a printed copy of the first email serves as a permit until the real permit arrives?
    Wayne
    Yeah, but it says something different in the application confirmation email, here's what the email says:

"Congratulations on planning a trip along the Pacific Crest Trail! This email confirms that you’ve applied for a PCT Long-distance Permit. This is NOT your permit and you have not yet been issued one. We’ll start reviewing and approving permits within 3 weeks of receiving an application. You can check the status of your permit in the permit management area. Look to see if it’s still pending review, approved, or some other status. Hold off on making travel plans until your permit has been reviewed and approved. Once your permit is ready for download, you will get an email telling you to go to the permit management area to download your permit. You must print it out and carry your physical, paper permit with you on the trail. Digital versions are not allowed"

The 3rd sentence is key: "This is NOT your permit and you have not yet been issued one".

You can go online and get a permit for San Jacinto State Wilderness Park. They do check permits there. Get the Cleveland permit and you're good until Cottonwood Pass. You can't enter the national parks with a permit for a non-quota trailhead, so keep, that in mind.

I recently did the same as you. I went online and there was one permit available for April 3 when previously all 50 were taken. I purchased it immediately and got the same confirmation email you did. I applied Feb 26 and received my permit by email on March 2nd.

Rob,
    “After you have applied:
    Wayne
    This does NOT mean your permit has been approved. It just means they've received your application

A recent family conflict precludes my wife from doing a 3-week section of the AT next month (and I was joining her), so I decided to give a big section of the PCT a go this spring, so last night I looked online and lo-and-behold there was a single permit available for starting next Thursday, 3/29 (all the rest of March, April and May were booked at the 50 limit).

So I clicked the date, filled out the online form and submitted, then got an email back saying "congratulations, your permit app has been received, you'll hear back within 3 weeks".

Well, since this would be starting in more like 6 days from now, this is a bit concerning....

So, my question is: Has anyone else gone through this last-minute permit process, and if so, did you get your permit a couple/few days later vs. the "up to 3 weeks" thing?

I tried calling the permit office, no luck so far. I'll keep trying.

(Since everything was free to cancel, I went ahead and made all arrangements for getting to the trailhead; easy-peasy, $120 flight to SD, rent a car to El Cajon for $41 including all taxes, $56 hotel in El Cajon, bus ride the next morning to Campo. I rented a car vs. another bus to El Cajon because I wanted to do a few other fun things in SD that day.)

Any info on this last minute permit thing appreciated.
    Good recent (2018) discussion on permits. Apparently if you are using campgrounds and not camping dispersed, no permit needed until you reach the Sierras.

https://www.postholer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2966

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    This does NOT mean your permit has been approved. It just means they've received your application
    Yes. Rob quoted his actual email.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
    Good recent (2018) discussion on permits. Apparently if you are using campgrounds and not camping dispersed, no permit needed until you reach the Sierras.

https://www.postholer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2966
    You need a permit at San Jacinto State Wilderness Park, no matter what Postholer says. It's free in person, or available on line for a small fee.

Images

All fantastic info, thanks everyone. Per Jefals original advice, I just called and talked to a CNF ranger, a sweet, nice, articulate and super friendly lady, 10 minutes later she emailed me a permit for <500 miles, all good to go!

Interesting discussion on that "dirty little secret" thread, but apparently there is at least some dispute, so glad I have an actual permit, needed or not.

If anyone else needs to do this sometime, call 619-445-6235, then dial "0", and tell whoever answers what you need, ignoring the other phone menu items, none are useful for what I wanted.

All fantastic info, thanks everyone. Per Jefals original advice, I just called and talked to a CNF ranger, a sweet, nice, articulate and super friendly lady, 10 minutes later she emailed me a permit for <500 miles, all good to go!

Interesting discussion on that "dirty little secret" thread, but apparently there is at least some dispute, so glad I have an actual permit, needed or not.

If anyone else needs to do this sometime, call 619-445-6235, then dial "0", and tell whoever answers what you need, ignoring the other phone menu items, none are useful for what I wanted.
    Definitely convoluted... looks like CA State Parks requires a "Day Hike" permit for passing through the 7 or so miles of the wilderness that the PCT uses. Of course most will want to Summit SJ so that makes more sense to have a fee for maintaining that. We're also trying to sort this all out for our first section 0-Wrightwood next year. Anyway, enjoy and report back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic! Glad you got that sorted.
    For anyone else, here is the Cleveland NF PCT page:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cleve...d=FSEPRD488307

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++