WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grayson Highlands Points of Interest

I'm planning on hiking from Damascus to Marion in here in a week or so. What are the points of interest, or side trails that I should not miss? Is the Mount Rogers Peak worth it? I heard you get there and there is nothing to see.

Thanks - AK

I've spent weeks just backpacking loops in the Mt Rogers area and have camped outside of Scales on Stone Mt. Pine Mt trail used to be the old AT and it has water and some awesome campsites. Also recommend looping thru the two wilderness areas---Lewis Fork and Wilson Creek etc.

Most of the time I would leave my car parked at the NRA headquarters and hike the 30 miles down the AT south into the Crest Zone; and then play around for a couple weeks before hiking back north to my car.

Analog,
    I have only been to Grayson 4 times so take it for what it is worth.

2 times I went straight thru the park using the AT
    -Elk Garden to Teas Road - Trip 1
    -Elk Garden to Fox Creek -Trip 2
    the last 2 times I have parked at Elk Garden and just moseyed around the park using the AT as my primary trail but when its time to head back to the car on Sunday I try not to backtrack, by using other trails.

I have been to the summit 2-3 out of 4 times. Its the highest point of Virginia and the walk is not difficult at all. If you haven't been up to Mt Rogers before, its a nice checkpoint. Since you are on a linear hike consisting of the AT I would say if you stick to the AT you will not be disappointed thru Grayson. I would however say that one of my favorite camp sites is in Grayson...2 actually....

The first is just past Elk Garden about halfway up Mt Rogers, Brier Ridge - It will be on the right side of the trail for you, and off trail about 200 yards. Your waypoint is an old stile(Pic of stile below is looking back at the AT with Brier ridge to your back)....There is a pretty healthy water source that is (Ref pic 2) between the post and the large rocks center of picture.

IMG_6634.JPGIMG_1369.JPG IMG_1368.JPGIMG_5007.JPGIMG_6628.JPGIMG_6823.JPG

The Second Campsite is a little more off trail (1.8 Miles) but is a real nice one with water as well. Best way I can explain this one is once you get to the scales, instead of taking the AT, take the Crest Trail LEFT of the AT. You know you are on the right trail when it is going up up up at first. Follow this all the way to camp.
    IMG_6620.JPGCapture.JPGCapture1.JPG

IMG_6873.JPGIMG_6699.JPGIMG_6865.JPGIMG_6877.JPG
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 03-23-2018 at 09:02.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Mt Rogers, like Gambit said, is an easy short walk from the AT. No view, but 95% of the AT has no view. It's still a pleasant walk.
    There are several non-AT trails on the park map that I'm interested in exploring one day. Mostly they're dayhikes, like Listening Rock, Split Rock, Twin Pinnacles. Inconvenient from the AT, but if you're driving there, why not check them out.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...nhighlands.pdf
    http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...yson-highlands

Images

Been hiking that area for 30 years. Yes, the side trail is worth it, the summit is wooded but sit awhile and relax and let the quiet and cool shade work their magic.

The Wilburn Ridge Trail is a worthwhile detour, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Been hiking that area for 30 years. Yes, the side trail is worth it, the summit is wooded but sit awhile and relax and let the quiet and cool shade work their magic.

The Wilburn Ridge Trail is a worthwhile detour, too.
    Totally agree, the Mt. Rogers SUMMIT Trail (not to be confused with the plain old Mt. Rogers Trail between Grindstone CG and the AT near Deep Gap) is something to do, once if not more. Peaceful if anticlimactic endpoint among conifers usually found much further north. No views, no good campsites, no water...a good place for contemplation and maybe lunch. It's also a state high point if you're bagging those.

++ New Posts ++