WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

I should preface my response by saying I am not a "Ultra-Light" hiker/backpacker. However I do not want to be hauling an excessively heavy load. I use to be of the opinion of having one winter pack and one summer pack. I then started looking for something that would work as a 4 season pack. After much research I went with the ULA Catalyst. It is listed at 75L, but I don't have to have anything hanging on the outside with the exception of my snowshoes, crampons or poles when road walking. It is big enough to hold extra clothing during the cold winter months, as well as my Wookie underquilt. I also like that I can fill my Ursak up with food and store above my compactor bag for a quick access during a lunch break. I would recommend contacting Chris or Sally and talking to them about your needs. They are great to work with and won't steer you wrong just to make a sale.
    Blackheart

Ditto!
    Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I should preface my response by saying I am not a "Ultra-Light" hiker/backpacker. However I do not want to be hauling an excessively heavy load. I use to be of the opinion of having one winter pack and one summer pack. I then started looking for something that would work as a 4 season pack. After much research I went with the ULA Catalyst. It is listed at 75L, but I don't have to have anything hanging on the outside with the exception of my snowshoes, crampons or poles when road walking. It is big enough to hold extra clothing during the cold winter months, as well as my Wookie underquilt. I also like that I can fill my Ursak up with food and store above my compactor bag for a quick access during a lunch break. I would recommend contacting Chris or Sally and talking to them about your needs. They are great to work with and won't steer you wrong just to make a sale.

I'll ditto what Buckeye Bill says. If you are trying to have one arrow in your quiver, consider the ULA Catalyst. I got it thinking it was going to be my shoulder season pack but have found it very suitable for all any season the southern Appalachians can dish out. It does not feel under packed when I am set up for one or two nights in the summer at 20 lbs, and it does not feel overpacked with a bulky 35-40 lb winter or week long excursion. Its a near perfect pack, and will be until I decide to switch it out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++