WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Maupin Field Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Maupin Field Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Maupin Field Shelter is just north of the Three Ridges Wilderness Area boundary, about two miles south of Reeds Gap. There's no "field" to speak of, just immature trees. The shelter faces east I think (at least relative to the Trail), and there may be some direct morning sunlight, but we were sitting in a cloud for the entire time we were there. Shelter design is similar to the Harpers Creek, Priest and Seeley-Woodworth shelters. Exiting the shelter, the privy is to the right on an unmarked path. Water comes from a piped spring directly behind the shelter, although nothing was coming from the pipe in October of 2002.

We high-tailed it from Rockfish Gap, starting at dawn to reach the shelter before the projected storm system that dumped rain for 18 hours after we arrived. Except for the footing around Humpback Mountain, the walk was very easy, but the Paul C. Wolfe Shelter looked like a nice place to stay.

I was surprised at the lack of food bag hangers, and we did not encounter a mouse that evening. We ended up sitting in the shelter the entire following morning trying to wait out the rain and then finally gave up around noon and started walking over Three Ridges (fortunately the rain petered out just as we started our descent to give us a great view of The Priest).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Smile

This another one of those great shelter area for tenting out. A lot of good spots for setting up your tent
    EZ-DOES-IT
    It's mind over matter
    If you don't mind it doesn't matter

The campsites were nice including steel fire rings and adjustable grills. The shelter does face east and does get some mid morning direct sun - I dried out my stuff on the shelter floor in the sunshine until the picnic table dried off then finished the drying and packing there. New signs have been placed - trail to privy is marked with a pictoral of a generic privy and an arrow pointing to the privy. The piped part of the spring was not producing any water when I was there over July 4th but there was a sufficient amount in the stream so no problems. Note the trail between the trail to the water and the trail to the privy is the Mau-Har trail - marked with a verbal sign for "waterfall" and a TATC "Adopt a Trail" sign. The pictoral signs were a bit confusing at first but once I realized that they were just the same signs used on maps for shelters and campsites they were understandable - a number of enteries in registers in this area mentioned the "hieroglyphic" signs.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Report - water not flowing at Maupin d/t lack of rain in VA. Only managed to get water from seepage areas around the spring.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    Report - water not flowing at Maupin d/t lack of rain in VA. Only managed to get water from seepage areas around the spring.
    yeah, even in late june the spring was pretty barren. you can go downhill for maybe a half mile on the blue blaze (mau-har) and there will be water there. tough uphill back thoough

Visited this shelter on a day hike from Tye River Road to Reed's Gap 2/8. Enjoyed the checkerboard carved into the shelter floor. The privy path is now marked, and the privy is modern with a vent pipe, similar to the one at Harper's Creek Shelter. This is the only shelter I've visited where the privy path comes directly off the AT & is marked with a privy symbol sign. On our way out, we met 4 hikers headed for the shelter and what promised to be a cold evening.

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    Visited this shelter on a day hike from Tye River Road to Reed's Gap 2/8. Enjoyed the checkerboard carved into the shelter floor. The privy path is now marked, and the privy is modern with a vent pipe, similar to the one at Harper's Creek Shelter. This is the only shelter I've visited where the privy path comes directly off the AT & is marked with a privy symbol sign. On our way out, we met 4 hikers headed for the shelter and what promised to be a cold evening.
    Oops, had a typo, and meant 12/8.

Images

Default Hornets!

visited the shelter today on a short hike from reeds gap. water source was very slow but not that bad. there were some small pools where one could easily dip and fill a bottle. of note, there is a gigantinormous hornets nest abut 20 yards up the trail that connects the AT to the shelter. the nest is very active and is right next to the trail at about 3 feet off the ground. i'll post a pic soon.

Images

Dumb question: Is it pronounced like the French, "mow-PAN"? Always wondered.

Images

Can anyone confirm how far the shelter is from Reeds Gap? I was thinking of doing some sorta of trip up that way sometime soon, but I've never been in the area. I thought I'd start from Reeds Gap off the parkway.

Images

Also, is overnight parking at Reeds Gap "safe"?

I have 1.7 miles from Reed's Gap to Maupin Field Shelter. Safe parking is a crap shoot any where on the trail, but I've never heard of problems there.

Added: there's a real nice dry campsite on top of the hill to the left from the gap. Only about .5 mile.

Images

I think this is the shelter you skip so you can stay at Rusty's. Just walk toward the Blue Ridge Drive instead of turning on the AT. Then head south down the Blue Ridge to Rusty's. (that is if he's open this year - lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I think this is the shelter you skip so you can stay at Rusty's. Just walk toward the Blue Ridge Drive instead of turning on the AT. Then head south down the Blue Ridge to Rusty's. (that is if he's open this year - lol)
    i'd rather stay in that shelter than go to rusty's

Images

I'm surprised LW! Lots of others from Hobocentral have been seen there...

Quote Originally Posted by DAKS View Post
    visited the shelter today on a short hike from reeds gap. water source was very slow but not that bad. there were some small pools where one could easily dip and fill a bottle. of note, there is a gigantinormous hornets nest abut 20 yards up the trail that connects the AT to the shelter. the nest is very active and is right next to the trail at about 3 feet off the ground. i'll post a pic soon.
    the hornets nest was there in early Oct, when I hiked thru the area. This was posted on the blue blaze trail leading to the shelter.

There's a nice tent site going NOBO just before the blue blaze trail, so you don't have to stay in the shelter or at Rusty's.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I'm surprised LW! Lots of others from Hobocentral have been seen there...
    just Pirate. he's a grown man. he makes his own choices

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We've parked on the BRP over a weekend, no problems for us.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Anyone know how the water situation is at this shelter now? And other places south of Rockfish Gap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++