WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One bag or two?

Default One bag or two?

Here's an interesting dilemma.

I'm getting nervous about what the weather in northern VA in late April, early May might be this season. Back in February it seemed like it was going to be an early spring, now it looks like it will be late. (I'll be SOBO from HF).

I'm thinking using my old 40 degree bag as I had been planning is going to be a mistake. I have two choices. I can take a 20 degree bag or add a second 40 degree bag.

If I take the 20 degree bag, I'm stuck with it. If I take 2 bags, I can send one home when it warms up. I can fit the two bags into the same stuff sack as the 20 degree bag so volume isn't an issue, but the package weighs 1 pound more then just the 20 degree bag.

The dilemma is, is it worth the extra pound initially to half the weight of the 20 degree bag later? My base weight is only 17.75 pounds with the double bag so I'm not at crazy base weight either way.

I guess I'll just have to make an executive decision when the time comes and we have a better idea what the weather might look like.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 03-20-2018 at 12:37.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It is more than a month until late April...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

20 degree bag converts to a warm weather quilt when unzipped. Problem solved.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    It is more than a month until late April...
    this - the weather can/most likely will change significantly between now and then....

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    this - the weather can/most likely will change significantly between now and then....
    Indeed, but in what way? I remember one hike I did through VA in May were it rained some 20 days out of 30. I'm hoping the weather will significantly improve in the next 4 weeks, but need to have contingency plans if it doesn't.

Looking at comparisons from an entire sleep system perspective rather than just bag(s) might make decisions clearer. Ponder what else you can tweak into the sleep system. You might find a 40* bag combined with greater under insulation, sleep clothes, heat packs, aluminixed mylar or polyester(emergency super cheap SUL space blanket, sleeping enclosed in a tent, higher fat % food choices, etc making one one accurately rated 40* bag at the core enough to get by in late April going forward.

This also a temp situation where a quilt can shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post

This is simple and yet addresses the goal by putting it more on the shoulders of the user rather than seeing gear as the only way to get to the goal. This utilizes what gear one already has. Sometimes, we overthink these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    This is simple and yet addresses the goal by putting it more on the shoulders of the user rather than seeing gear as the only way to get to the goal. This utilizes what gear one already has. Sometimes, we overthink these things.
    I think you need to read what you wrote in post #6.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

To paraphrase a friend who was making fun of me “Dave, why is it that you spent all that time and money getting good cold weather gear, yet you constantly get yourself in trouble by ignoring your good gear and instead bringing the most marginal gear you can get away with on trips?”
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

@Lonehiker Providing options. Not overly complex suggesting changing out out pads one might already have or sleeping in clothes one might normally have or grabbing some chem heat packets or buttoning up the tent or taking along some fattier food for a few variable colder nights...is it? Easier maybe doing that than reading about doing that. In considering the reply to the asked question I was guessing volume and wt played into consideration as both were mentioned by the OP too. These alternatives take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    What he said. You'll want the 20 degree bag (I've had snow fall on me in Norther VA the second week of May). Open it up when warmer.

If you have someone at home, who can retrieve your spare 40 degree bag from the mail, couldn't you just start with the 20 degree bag, and have them mail you the 40 degree bag? At which point you can mail back the 20 degree bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    If you have someone at home, who can retrieve your spare 40 degree bag from the mail, couldn't you just start with the 20 degree bag, and have them mail you the 40 degree bag? At which point you can mail back the 20 degree bag?
    No one at home, but close by. It's easier for me to send something back then to receive it on the trail. I'm only out for 4-6 weeks too, however long it takes to get from one end of VA to the other.

I normally do all the things Dogwood mentions. Tent, base layers, liner, etc. Which is fine unless it has to be done every day for a couple of weeks.Plus I really don't want to buy anything new or put too much wear on the 20 degree bag which I want to save for fall hikes.

Using the second bag which I already have adds nearly 2 pounds, but I could scale back on the weight of cloths some.

Which way I go will depend on what the weather is looking like towards the middle of April. I need to make my decision by April 10th, as I need to make a side trip to Florida first. Chances are I'll do what I always do and skimp a little on warmth and just suffer on the bad days.

You've been around the block.

"I normally do all the things that (other someone) mentions. Tent, base layers, liner, etc.
    Which is fine unless it has to be done every day for a couple of weeks.Plus I really don't want to buy anything new..."

Same here.

"Which way I go will depend on what the weather is looking like towards the middle of April. I need to make my decision by April 10th, as I need to make a side trip to Florida first."

Good approach. It's like Lonehiker said...

"Chances are I'll do what I always do and skimp a little on warmth and just suffer on the bad days."

Maybe you don't need to suffer(as much) if you choose May instead of April and....:

Warning: Geek stuff ahead.

Overlay the VA AT elevation profile correlating it with possible CS's at lower elevation.
    May even want to opt for going SOBO.
    Here look at it: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/imag...rsn=b5b5b6a0_4 If you overlay an averaged slope of AT VA elevation between the southern and northern VA state borders the elevation tends from lower elev to higher elev going SOBO. Might not be enough difference to offset the weather affects from a higher longitude though going SOBO.

I'm locked into the 19th this year due to where my dad's b-day lands in the week. Starting a week later would make me less nervous.

I'll be going SOBO from Harpers Ferry. That way I can take the train to HF from Florida, then take the bus home from Marion.

I just bought a travel pillow and blanket for the bus/train rides. I was going to abandon these when I got to HF, but I think I might keep them and use the blanket as the bag supplement. I think that will be a worth while experiment.

So what if you took the 40 degree bag and then got a sleeping bag liner and made it a 20 when u needed it and then when it got to hot ditch the bag and just rock the liner

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggySours View Post
    So what if you took the 40 degree bag and then got a sleeping bag liner and made it a 20 when u needed it and then when it got to hot ditch the bag and just rock the liner
    A liner that would turn a 40 degree bag into a 20 degree bag is called a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite.
    No liner adds 20 degrees to the rating of a sleeping bag. Nor will they be comfortable to sleep under alone. Another lesson I learned the hard way.
    Wayne

I'm a neubie- only a single week on the southern PA AT but when I asked the same question here - two 45* SnugPak Desert bags or one something else. The replies were nearly unanimous for a single bag. I was a bit skeptical but I think after a week of use it was good advice- my choice was a Nemo Disco 30 btw. In my case since I already had the two SnugPaks it was hard to part with the coin given I'm not likely to spend much time using the Nemo at its lower rating(which seems accurate btw)

Here's a thought. Start with the 20* bag. Before you leave mail the 40* bag ahead of you a couple of weeks. When you pick up the 40* bag you'll have a box ready to ship the 20* bag home.

I have to comment that its really encouraging(I'm being serious) to see a 9K post, 10 year member ask such a basic(to experienced hikers) question. Says a lot about the quality of information here. So many forums today are populated by opinionated but not experienced(by that I mean for example saying something is the "best" when it is the only one you have experience with)people who will gladly spend 'your' money to reinforce THEIR choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++