WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Good Idea or Bad Idea To Thru Hike With All The Kids?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Flicking the two year old and drawing blood in response to the kid crying is alone enough to call the father irresponsible/abusive. These people have put their lives out there as an open book. Check out the video on how they manage their financial affairs. Their entire net worth is in six houses located in the same place and almost all of their income is from rents (no jobs) and, get this, none of the homes are even insured. Aside from the flicking thing being abusive, these people have no common sense and no ability to judge and control RISK. Hope the GSMNP rangers talked some sense into them and they get off trail.

It will be interesting to see if this soap opera continues or not. Hopefully they will go home for a bit and wait for better weather.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I know that this will sound strange, but I didn't have nearly as much of an issue with the couple that took the 1 year old out on the trail last year.

It is definitely not my idea of a good time and would never dream of taking a kid that young on a thru hike but last years couple seemed to be much more prepared when they hit the trial. The biggest thing was that they didn't start their hike until April. It really goes without stating that the weather would have been much less dangerous for a 2 year old starting 5 weeks later.

The other issue is at 2 years old, children are highly mobile. I know all kids are different, but my kids were basically on their feet 12 hours a day, running, dancing, playing and generally driving me up the wall from dawn to dusk. This kid is likely in the carrier for 7-8 hours a day and after the days walking is done its straight to the tent under blankets because its too cold for anything else. He likely only gets to get up and really move around when they take a zero every 5 days or so. That's pretty rough living at 2 years old.

These parents seem to wear their general unpreparedness on their sleeve and it begins within the first moments of hitting the trail and then they make it all about the drama. They wear their unpreparedness like its a badge of honor. In the videos their narcissism, selfishness and lack of responsibility is just never ending. Regardless, I wished them the best from the beginning, even though I was hardly amused. Then daddy pops the kid in the mouth as he is crying over the cold, because of his own poor choices as a parent. If the parents can't handle it mentally, and it gets to the point where they physically punish, by flicking their 2 year old in the mouth and draw blood, that is where I draw the line.

I watched their most recent video. Glad they decided to wait out some weather when they were in Hiawassee 2 weeks ago. I'm sorta rooting for them, even though I find them insufferable.

One thing that struck me is they kept talking about survival. Unless they royally screw up, I don't believe there is any survival involved in hiking the AT. They have food, clothing, shelter, communication, other hikers around, and money. They're on vacation. Other vloggers do it too, and it was a bit of peeve of mine hearing other hikers say it when I hiked last year, so it stuck out to me.

Also, it's been pointed out to me in PM that they have hiked the Wonderland Trail twice. I know he mentioned in another video climbing Mt Ranier twice and hiking in Switzerland. They aren't totally inexperienced so why do they look like complete noobs? Drama?

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I watched their most recent video. Glad they decided to wait out some weather when they were in Hiawassee 2 weeks ago. I'm sorta rooting for them, even though I find them insufferable.

One thing that struck me is they kept talking about survival. Unless they royally screw up, I don't believe there is any survival involved in hiking the AT. They have food, clothing, shelter, communication, other hikers around, and money. They're on vacation. Other vloggers do it too, and it was a bit of peeve of mine hearing other hikers say it when I hiked last year, so it stuck out to me.

Also, it's been pointed out to me in PM that they have hiked the Wonderland Trail twice. I know he mentioned in another video climbing Mt Ranier twice and hiking in Switzerland. They aren't totally inexperienced so why do they look like complete noobs? Drama?
    The drama they create and choice of words, like being in survival mode, is for the clicks.

I will not watch any of their videos but read their titles, its ridiculous. They show themselves holding bags of money, have titles implying that he got physical with her during a fight, tons of videos about them fighting, videos about their sex life, more videos talking about their wealth. Nothing is private to these people They love every second of the attention they can get.

I wouldn't necessarily say that they look like complete noobs though. All things considered, if you remove the unnecessary drama, the parents and the kids seem to each be doing fine on an individual level. Except for their 2 year old son, who is obviously struggling with the cold. Good on them for getting off trail during the bad weather. They finally show some common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugthumper View Post
    The drama they create and choice of words, like being in survival mode, is for the clicks.

I will not watch any of their videos but read their titles, its ridiculous.
    That should say, that I will not watch any of their other, non hiking, videos.

But I'm not sure how long I'll even watch these. Like someone stated earlier in the thread, its like a slow motion train wreck, and I just can't turn my head from it.

I had the misfortune of watching one of the non-hiking videos on their financial situation. Suffice it to say that not watching saves you part of your life that you'll wish you could get back if you watch. And that they are about as skilled in off trail life as they are on trail. Let's apply Occam's razor: the adults are just stupid.

My thoughts?
    Good for them.
    Some of my most memorable times growing up was my times in the cub and boy scouts and camping, hiking, cooking on fires building shelters, etc.
    We can still do that kind of stuff here in Thailand and I've been teaching my 12 year old.
    Too many parents don't take their kids outside anymore.
    Glad to hear some still do.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I don’t think the majority of members opposing this family is against a robust wilderness experience. I think most of us are against the manner and intent in which they are doing this. Big difference.

Maybe the poll should have another choice: How many wish they would have been brought up doing this? (or thankful that they were not)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

first ones to tell someone to hike your own hike are the first ones to talk about someone else's hike . interesting concept you guys have going on in here .

Quote Originally Posted by flowerboy View Post
    first ones to tell someone to hike your own hike are the first ones to talk about someone else's hike . interesting concept you guys have going on in here .
    When one puts their life onto you tube in a series format, they get what comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    When one puts their life onto you tube in a series format, they get what comes with it.
    i see so hyoh is null and voided if someone youtubes their hike . i see ... thanks for clearing that up . what about armchair hikers and computer key bangers . should i say that most of you that have a comment on everything and anything that comes up should try getting out on the trail and actually do a little hiking ??? should i say maybe stop criticizing people and take a look in the mirror and work on yourselves ??? it is ok to say this cause you are the first one that will tell and speak your mind . you do seem to know everything . a jack of all trades ....

It is never ok to hit/flick a child for any reason. And who the hell does that to a 2 year old BECAUSE THEY ARE CRYING?! Seriously. That is some messed up crap.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Maybe the poll should have another choice: How many wish they would have been brought up doing this? (or thankful that they were not)
    Maybe these people's kids should get to vote on whether to go home or stay on the trail. They have to do what the parents do and really don't get a say in what happens next. Be interesting to know what they really think about the whole thing.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I know I've shared the trail with some fairly horrible people. The difference is that most don't advertise how horrible they are. Some have left their horrible'ness in the past, and hiking the trail is part of their therapy. I have some strong opinions about these specific parents, based on a whole lot of non hiking things, but I'll keep them to myself, because this is a hiking forum, not a parenting forum, not a religious forum, not an ethics in media forum, not a political forum.

From a strictly hiking point of view, they've made a few stupid decisions, much like a lot of other people. I wouldn't trust much of anything that happens on reality TV or Youtube as being an accurate representation of reality. Don't be suckered into watching their videos because of intentionally created drama, unless you really like being fooled by that kind of thing.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    It is never ok to hit/flick a child for any reason. And who the hell does that to a 2 year old BECAUSE THEY ARE CRYING?! Seriously. That is some messed up crap.
    Lots of people do such things, the difference is they don't post it on the Internet for anyone to see.

Now I'm not saying I agree with the behavior, but I find it bizarre that someone would intentionally post said interaction and not realize the drama that would ensue. Seems more like an attempt to get views, but since they aren't monetized, that goes against that logic. Perhaps they just really believe in being that transparent.

Additionally, last I heard, they were not taken off trail at Clingmans. Family picked them up at Newfound Gap and they were in Gatlinburg. They did have to sleep in the bathrooms at NfG until the road was opened.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

If the family doesn't want my opinion, then don't ask for it.
    Blackheart

I wonder if thats an UL baby. Gives new meaning to layering to stay warm.

That's a tough group hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I know I've shared the trail with some fairly horrible people. The difference is that most don't advertise how horrible they are. Some have left their horrible'ness in the past, and hiking the trail is part of their therapy. I have some strong opinions about these specific parents, based on a whole lot of non hiking things, but I'll keep them to myself, because this is a hiking forum, not a parenting forum, not a religious forum, not an ethics in media forum, not a political forum.

From a strictly hiking point of view, they've made a few stupid decisions, much like a lot of other people. I wouldn't trust much of anything that happens on reality TV or Youtube as being an accurate representation of reality. Don't be suckered into watching their videos because of intentionally created drama, unless you really like being fooled by that kind of thing.
    I'm impressed. Best post read on the thread.

Despite saying anything to the contrary many reality TV watchers have difficulty determining what is and isn't reality. I can't sit with them as they are so eager to accept fantasy as reality. They become defensive and irritated should one point it out.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++