WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Good Idea or Bad Idea To Thru Hike With All The Kids?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Journal Entries

I stand with on the side of Bill as well. Better to act and not have any criminal act or abuse than not act and have something more serious happen.
    Blackheart

Their videos suffer (my opinion) from all AT YouTube videos out there. After the novelty fades, they become repetitive. After all, what is it that we do? Walk. Eat. Sleep. Repeat (and take a dump in between). The journey is inward. The trail is the means.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Their videos suffer (my opinion) from all AT YouTube videos out there. After the novelty fades, they become repetitive. After all, what is it that we do? Walk. Eat. Sleep. Repeat (and take a dump in between). The journey is inward. The trail is the means.
    this ^^^^^^

Images

I hesitate to bring this discussion back to life but since the family of eights most recent video is somewhat directed to posters on here, I thought it should be shared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyKp1Gjia_M

My thoughts on all this...
    I think these kids are great, and I credit the parents for raising such wonderful kids. Hats off for taking them on this hike and providing an experience that will stimulate them, challenge them and hopefully help them grow to be responsible adults. You are justly proud of them.

That said, I have no criticism of anyone who asked CPS to check in on your family based on concerns raised about the 2 year old in the previous videos. The parents need to get on this side of their camera and see what their audience sees and understand that there was something of concern presented in them that warranted checking out. Too often society looks away from abuse of the venerable and there have been tragedies because of that. Your analysis of the situation I think lacks some self awareness and a lack of understanding about the motivations of those that were concerned.

Anyway, glad to hear you are all doing well and wish your family the best on your hike. My suggestion would be to put this episode behind you and just let your children be your family's ambassadors. Happy Trails.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I hesitate to bring this discussion back to life but since the family of eights most recent video is somewhat directed to posters on here, I thought it should be shared.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyKp1Gjia_
    First of their videos I have watched and I had to stop when the Dad started whining about how this CPS episode had shaken his faith in humanity. Get a grip and start being a grownup and quit exploiting your children for your own selfish benefit. That is not what parents are supposed to do.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

CPS shouldn’t have been called at all. #freedomfirst. Calling them was a selfish act, regardless of how “concerned” they convinced themselves they were.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    CPS shouldn’t have been called at all. #freedomfirst. Calling them was a selfish act, regardless of how “concerned” they convinced themselves they were.
    Bunch of busy bodies.

But then again if you're stupid enough to film yourself popping your kid in the mouth and making them bleed and then put it on YouTube you deserve what you get.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-30-2018 at 00:06.

So I see one of their teen age daughters walking down the street and being followed by a creepy guy in a van. Nothing has happened and nobody is hurt yet but I am calling the cops. Is that selfish? You think her Dad is going to lose his faith in humanity because I was concerned about his daughter's welfare?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    So I see one of their teen age daughters walking down the street and being followed by a creepy guy in a van. Nothing has happened and nobody is hurt yet but I am calling the cops. Is that selfish? You think her Dad is going to lose his faith in humanity because I was concerned about his daughter's welfare?
    I don’t believe the two are remotely equivalent.

I don’t believe the two are remotely equivalent.
    In real life people were worried about the Dad being a danger and in the other scenario a stranger could be a danger. It is OK to call about a stranger but not the Dad? That was my point.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 05-02-2018 at 10:19.

You do-gooders still at it?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I think the person who gave social services the heads up did it with good intentions out of real concern for the two youngest kids. Social services saw a possible issue and met with the family, after which the family seemed to meet their criteria. I am glad all is well and I wish them luck on their hike. I guess I’m a “do gooder” too, better than a “do nothing”, “don’t bother to become involved”.

i watched some of the videos, Dad seems like a narcissist and I find his voice annoying. Titles of numerous videos are click bait. I enjoy hiking videos, these folks are drama rama oriented. I unsubscribed, too much suck you in drama and then indignation when viewers are sucked into the drama and respond honestly.

Again, the kids and mom seem great, and I wish them all the best on their hike and future endeavors. No I don’t hate men, just find this guy annoying and I choose to avoid this type of video.

I didn't get involved because there was no particular reason to do so. History has born my prudence out. Could I have been wrong, sure. But my acumen comes from my ability to observe things objectively. My gut tells me that those most up in arms about the whole situation had probably formulated an opinion prior to even watching the vlogs. Then when they did watch them (and remember that they represented only about 1% of the families day) they subjectively picked out select items that were offensive to them. Listening to them you would have thought that the kids fingers would be gone by now, he would be physically retarded, need I go on? Even the "flick in the mouth" was overly sensationalized. Watch the vids or don't. It's not noble to do so nor is it noble not to. I am watching them simply because I have enough knowledge about LDH to appreciate what a feat this family is pulling off regardless of how far they go.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I didn't get involved because there was no particular reason to do so. History has born my prudence out. Could I have been wrong, sure. But my acumen comes from my ability to observe things objectively. My gut tells me that those most up in arms about the whole situation had probably formulated an opinion prior to even watching the vlogs. Then when they did watch them (and remember that they represented only about 1% of the families day) they subjectively picked out select items that were offensive to them. Listening to them you would have thought that the kids fingers would be gone by now, he would be physically retarded, need I go on? Even the "flick in the mouth" was overly sensationalized. Watch the vids or don't. It's not noble to do so nor is it noble not to. I am watching them simply because I have enough knowledge about LDH to appreciate what a feat this family is pulling off regardless of how far they go.
    Rather be a do gooder than an idiot
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    I think the person who gave social services the heads up did it with good intentions out of real concern for the two youngest kids. Social services saw a possible issue and met with the family, after which the family seemed to meet their criteria. I am glad all is well and I wish them luck on their hike. I guess I’m a “do gooder” too, better than a “do nothing”, “don’t bother to become involved”.

i watched some of the videos, Dad seems like a narcissist and I find his voice annoying. Titles of numerous videos are click bait. I enjoy hiking videos, these folks are drama rama oriented. I unsubscribed, too much suck you in drama and then indignation when viewers are sucked into the drama and respond honestly.

Again, the kids and mom seem great, and I wish them all the best on their hike and future endeavors. No I don’t hate men, just find this guy annoying and I choose to avoid this type of video.

Smartest post so far....

Journal Entries

I have always been the kind that less government is the best, however there are times when intervention needs to be done. In this case the father admitted to the "lip flick" which caused the baby to start bleeding. I don't know how hard he did it or if the baby had chapped lips which can start bleeding even with minor irritation. It often said that making assumptions can make an a** out of you and me. I think in this case the right call was made to have someone check to make sure the children were safe and properly dressed for current weather conditions. They evidently found everything in order, as the family was allowed to continue on their trek. I have been involved in many "welfare checks" while in law enforcement. Sometimes are good and others are bad or deadly. While hiking I have also come across adults who are on the verge of hypothermia and without intervention would probably have died. I wouldn't walk pass them nor would I walk pass the family if I thought there were problems. Granted I am not a doctor but I was a trained paramedic and have taken both wilderness first-aid classes and wilderness first responder course. In this situation, better to be safe than sorry especially when a baby is involved.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    In real life people were worried about the Dad being a danger and in the other scenario a stranger could be a danger. It is OK to call about a stranger but not the Dad? That was my point.
    Actually, yes. There's no real indication this Dad is a danger other than he's taking his family on this hike. Which I would speculate is what the caller had an issue with. I stand by my assertion. Someone who should have minded their own business just couldn't help themselves.

If you see something say something...if I say something do something.

I have to say, of the 20 or so thru hikes I’m watching on YouTube, at least this family has dialogue and a story to tell. For all the faults or criticisms that people have of the Crawfords, I’m impressed they’ve made it this far.
    So the dad flicked the child? Was it right? Nope. Should we be intervening in how they run their family? Nope.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

I have to say, of the 20 or so thru hikes I’m watching on YouTube, at least this family has dialogue and a story to tell. For all the faults or criticisms that people have of the Crawfords, I’m impressed they’ve made it this far.
    So the dad flicked the child? Was it right? Nope. Should we be intervening in how they run their family? Nope.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++