WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2018 Vlogs

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    No offense but you sound like a grumpy old man. If it's not for you fine but why rain on everyone else's parade? While I agree with some of what you said, i.e. the majority of the vlogs aren't the best, you do occasionally come across one or two that are great and really fun to watch. As others have said, I love the memories it brings to mind seeing the things and places I have been. Also, because I'm a section hiker and still have about 1/3 of the trail left to do I love to see some of the places I haven't been yet and it gets me excited about my next trip.

I typically whittle my list down to 2 or 3 that I enjoy watching and as for the time it takes to watch, most do not post every single day and even if they do most videos are only 10 to 20 minutes long. I would much rather watch this than the crap on my television. Oh and I do read as well. It's not like you cannot do both for entertainment. To each their own.
    Not grumpy.
    Probably haven't actually turn the television on to watch it in years.

Don't listen to the radio cuz cannot stand to hear the jackasses in the morning on the commute. Streaming music from your phone is the third best invention of mankind, next to the wheel and bread. I have no idea how radio stations stay in business today. They're mostly just commercials and jackasses talking nonsense. A few weeks ago I tried flipping through radio stations with the scan..... Went through the whole dial...... Not a single song played.... Every Station was commercials. Turned it off.

Able to spend time on the interweb simply because stuck overseas for work, with absolutelya nothing to do on my days off for couple days at a time.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-08-2018 at 09:24.

It's all good. None of us makes it out of here alive and we all have our circumstances. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not grumpy.

Don't listen to the radio cuz cannot stand to hear the jackasses in the morning on the commute. Streaming music from your phone is the third best invention of mankind, next to the wheel and bread. I have no idea how radio stations stay in business today. They're mostly just commercials and jackasses talking nonsense. A few weeks ago I tried flipping through radio stations with the scan..... Went through the whole dial...... Not a single song played.... Every Station was commercials. Turned it off.

Able to spend time on the interweb simply because stuck overseas for work, with absolutelya nothing to do on my days off for couple days at a time.
    Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not grumpy.

Hey I can definitely agree with you on the radio. How they get anyone to listen is beyond me. Other than music my other favorite thing to do in the car is listen to Audible. I have really grown to love listening to audio books. Check it out if you have the time.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Jeep, gregp is also good. He was off the trail due to injury but last I knew was on trail. - HE IS OFF THE TRAIL FOR GOOD. ENJOYED HIS VIDEOS. WISH HIM WELL TO FINISH WHEN HE GETS BACK AT IT, PROBABLY NOT THIS YEAR
    Amanda Bess is excellent. - NICE GIRL, BUT IT SEEMS HER VIDS ARE MORE ZEROS AND HOSTELS THAN THE TRAIL. THAT MAY BE OKAY FOR SOME, I PREFER A TRAIL FOCUS. SHE IS USUALLY ONE VIDEO A DAY, WHICH I LIKE BETTER THAN EVERY FEW DAYS A VIDEO COMPILATION OF A FEW DAYS.
    Captain Blackbeard is short and sweet, but the last upload had me wondering about his current Tramily. - PRETTY REGULAR POSTING, MOVING RIGHT ALONG. NOT FANCY, BUT GOOD IF YOU LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE GET UP THE TRAIL
    Ringo is good but I feel he may be missing out on some of the experience of the trail. - MOVING RIGHT ALONG BUT I STILL FEEL HE IS JUST WALKING THE TRAIL BUT MISSING SOME OF THE TRAIL EXPERIENCE LIKE HOSTELS AND THE LIKE
    I started Bohdi Drifter due to recommendation above. He seems like he is going to be fun to follow. - I GET A KICK OUT OF THIS GUY, BUT NOT A FAVORITE
    I have Wheezie and Duck bookmarked to start binging after I catch up with Bohdi Drifter. - AN ENTERTAINING PAIR BUT SEEM TO PUT A VIDEO OUT ONCE A WEEK OR EVERY FEW DAYS
    i HAVE STARTED EVANS BACKPACKING VIDEOS FOR HIS THRU FROM RECOMMENDATION ON HERE. OUTSTANDING VIDEO AND PERSON. WISH HE POSTED DAILY SHORT VIDS BUT HE IS ON THE EVERY FEW DAYS COMPILATION PLAN
    Shoestring
    http://www.trailjournals.com/joefryfry
    Finishing the AT sometime in 2037.

I prefer the 2-3 day compilation videos over the daily, which is probably from when I vlogged in 2016, it was easier and I didn’t want to feel pressured. My intent was to vlog my way and not conform to the viewers wants. Also- I got messages from viewers who were almost demanding-like, asking when the next video would be up. That really turned me off and I vlogged less and less.

Some vloggers are doing this for intentions of notoriety in which hiking is the vehicle for vlogging. I appreciate the ones like Gary On The AT who just ramble about trail life while hiking and avoid the hipster editing with music and always seem to have drama.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I prefer the 2-3 day compilation videos over the daily, which is probably from when I vlogged in 2016, it was easier and I didn’t want to feel pressured. My intent was to vlog my way and not conform to the viewers wants. Also- I got messages from viewers who were almost demanding-like, asking when the next video would be up. That really turned me off and I vlogged less and less.

Some vloggers are doing this for intentions of notoriety in which hiking is the vehicle for vlogging. I appreciate the ones like Gary On The AT who just ramble about trail life while hiking and avoid the hipster editing with music and always seem to have drama.
    10-4. Seems some put some real effort into their editing, which is nice but that must be a good bit of work. I would imagine the every couple days update would be much easier to do. I bet there are people demanding videos to be released. Some of the vloggers, if they don't update, I sit here and think come on already, post an update. But I wouldn't ever actually say that to anyone, that would be silly.
    Shoestring

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Jake Hikes. Nice kid, his videos are short, fun and he has a nice taste in music.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I see Ringo has left the trail, the scout master is banging along.

any updates on good blogs, good i got off the trail stories, anyone finished?

thanks

Images

I think Scoutmaster is the furthest north of the vloggers now. He is heading into the Whites. I hope to soon see some good SOBO vloggers as their season is beginning.

Images

There are not many CDT vlogs out there. This year I have liked Dixie's and and Basket's VLOGS. wolvraid37np is another CDT vlogger, but has had some audio issues on some of his. However, he has some good CDT content if you can hear through the muffled audio issue. His last few have improved from audio standpoint. He has hiked some with Baskets on and off. Dixie's vlogs have brought trail vlogging to another level with the assistance Arron's technical skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl7 View Post
    There are not many CDT vlogs out there. This year I have liked Dixie's and and Basket's VLOGS. wolvraid37np is another CDT vlogger, but has had some audio issues on some of his. However, he has some good CDT content if you can hear through the muffled audio issue. His last few have improved from audio standpoint. He has hiked some with Baskets on and off. Dixie's vlogs have brought trail vlogging to another level with the assistance Arron's technical skills.
    Si So vlogged his CDT last year. It was very well done.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    Si So vlogged his CDT last year. It was very well done.
    I agree, Si So's CDT vlog last year was very well done.

Scoutmaster is by far the best vlogger out there. His commentary is on point, no BS, no self-pity. And i like that he focuses on the trail, and not on himself. He should be in Maine by now or finishing NH.

Any v loggers hitting Harper's Ferry? I'll be there tomorrow for a short while on my thru of GAP and C&O trail from Pittsburgh to Washington DC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by Carl7 View Post
    Dixie, Baskets, and Conatantine/wolvraid37np are all entertaining. They each bring something different to the narration and filming. Dixie probably has the highest production quality of any trail vlogger. Baskets is just a very observant, appreciative, knowledgeable, beast. And Constantine brings the enthusiasm of someone on their first week on the trail. His sound was awful the through most of NM but seems to have been fixed now. It looks like all 3 of them hit big snow in the south San Juans. None of them have that inexperienced "doing it for the likes and subs" vibe that you find from a lot of the AT and PCT vloggers.

I have followed a few this year whenever I get a chance.

Amanda Bess. Almost didn't go back after watching her first one, but glad I did. She is fun. I rate her vlog an 8 out of 10.

Sleeves. Just an all around good guy with low key videos. I rate his vlog a 7 out of 10.

Blessings of Adventure. Uncle Paul is a big guy that only made it a short way last year. Hopefully learned from his mistakes and starting over in the next couple months. I think he was 450 lbs when he decided to do the trail. I rate his vlog a 5 out of 10. I watch his because I just want to see him succeed from being fat to being full of life.

Fight For Together. A family of eight (the Crawfords) that are thru hiking. They have by far turned into my favorite. A good, caring family growing together and learning together. They have six beautiful children from 2 years old to 17 years old. I really appreciate watching a family that can actually be a family together. They are moving right up the trail. Best vlog by far for me. Maybe because I came from a family of 9 kids. I rate their vlog a 9 out of 10. I have to thank some "hyoh" people here on WB for guiding me to their YouTube channel a couple months ago.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    I don't believe anyone has mentioned Jake Hikes. Nice kid, his videos are short, fun and he has a nice taste in music.
    I met him in Shenandoah. He spent about 2 hours trying to start a fire with wet wood for one of his videos. By the time he finally got a good fire going, everyone else had gone to bed.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I met him in Shenandoah. He spent about 2 hours trying to start a fire with wet wood for one of his videos. By the time he finally got a good fire going, everyone else had gone to bed.
    That's the sort of determination that will get him to Katahdin....eventually.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Any v loggers hitting Harper's Ferry? I'll be there tomorrow for a short while on my thru of GAP and C&O trail from Pittsburgh to Washington DC

Rode through the AT section this morning and saw some bear scat but no hikers

Let me go

Everyone I had watched NOBO has finished what they're doing for this year. I watched some real good vlogs this summer. Are there any good SOBO vlogs going? I am needing something to watch. I pay for zero TV anymore.
    Shoestring

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++