WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    No real reason to start early, other than I read about he dread of hiker bubble. I don’t see it so much a problem for me as I hope to avoid shelters and tent it.
    I do know I cannot push my start too far into April as I can only stay in the US for 182 days.
    When you subtract travel days to get from where we live to Georgia (3 day drive at 8 hrs a day), taking a zero every two weeks, it leaves me with about 165 days to hike. That means I must average 13 miles a day.
    It might be easier to average a bit more mileage early on if not contending with weather. For the scope of the entire trail, it is not hard to maintain a moving average of 13 miles a day.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

It took me 5 and a half months and I took plenty of short days, and took a whole week off in Philadelphia.

I hiked with a pair of Aussies who in the mid Atlantic took quite a few lazy days and still had time to spare after hitting Katahdin.

I started March 12th and, aside from a few crowded camp sites early on, had no issues with “the bubble.”

The worst of the bubble as when I got off trail to check out Gatlinburg a few days into the Smokies and that was just a **** show. I blame Gatlinburg over hikers; it’s like Hillbilly Vegas.

Damascus was kinda crazy, also.

Of course months later in New York some guy caught up to me and told me all sorts of horror stories about the bubble behind us. I guess I just did a good job of keeping away from that sort of crowd.

It’s always easy to just aim for smaller spots between shelters, if that’s what you’re concerned about.

Feb will be colder, of course, but really the weather is a roll of the dice.

Last year feb the as mild and people were hiking in T Shirts and then we got a blizzard mid March that was single digit cold.

This year all the March starters are getting hammered by winds and rain.

It’s luck of the draw, I suppose.

Regarding mileage, its not a big deal.

By the time summer hit I found myself pushing 25s just because there was so much daylight left I knew I’d get bored if I stopped after 20.

The trail legs will kick in and you’ll be a mountain slaying pizza crushing badass

"...you’ll be a mountain slaying pizza crushing badass"

Is that a technical description? Sounds like something I'd read in a BRO article.

Who says adventure outdoor writing is dead?

I’m hoping that means Blue Ridge Outdoors or some such and not college dude bro, buttttt I’m not optimistic.

Pizza cravings are gender neutral, bruh

Opinions are like ear holes, everybody’s got two

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I’m hoping that means Blue Ridge Outdoors or some such and not college dude bro, buttttt I’m not optimistic.

Pizza cravings are gender neutral, bruh

Of course... bruddah.

March 21. Boone, NC. Elevation 3,300’. North of Roan Mountain and half the elevation.
    Snow day #19 for the grandkids.
    My Birthday Blizzard record is unbroken.
    Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.
    All the best to you!
    Wayne

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++