WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Enlighted enigma vs revelation for summer use

For a lightweight summer quilt, I'm thinking of getting a 50' to use when my 30' Katabatic quilt will be too hot/heavy.
    My question is, would the closed footbox on the Enigma really be so hot (i.e. is it workable) or would the openable footbox of the Revelation be better (for a one ounce penalty)? Other thoughts are that I might wanna push it into the fall or spring and is 50' an accurate rating or is it more like 60'? Most of my outings are in conditions like AT in NY. Thanks!

I have a 50 revelation that I have trouble getting the down to evenly distribute due to there being so little and the baffle design. It is a real pain and I wouldn't suggest either of these quilts for that reason at that temp range. Ill sell you mine for cheap if you want it.
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

I like the open foot box of my 30F revelation. You can open it up totally flat like a quilt or zip the foot box but not cinch it down, which keeps you feet "anchored" in the bag and avoids tossing it off at night but still provides lots of air flow. Or it can be totally cinched up like an enclosed foot box. Very versatile and the weight penalty of the zipper and snap there is pretty minimal for that added versatility. I've probably gotten more use out of this quilt at home over this past winter than on trail. I use it as a flat quilt on the couch and have slept in it numerous times. Turned out my apt was totally uninsulated and I turned the heat down to 50-55 after my first shocking bill. The revelation probably paid for itself at home this winter in reduced electric bills. One of my favorite pieces of gear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    I have a 50 revelation that I have trouble getting the down to evenly distribute due to there being so little and the baffle design. It is a real pain and I wouldn't suggest either of these quilts for that reason at that temp range. Ill sell you mine for cheap if you want it.
    I can concur with the first part. The down will tend to "clump" and you will need to smooth it out on a 50F revelation. It is not that hard to do. Just keep a mental image of the Karate Kid. Wax on, wax off. Or something like that.

I like the open footbox because I have sweaty feet.

Leonidas

I have a 50* APEX Enigma and I like the closed footbox due to feet that easily get cold. The APEX version also avoids then aforementioned clumping.

50* Long/Wide weighs 11.47 oz in APEX with the 10D inner/outer.

I haven't used it in the summer yet as I got it in Nov/Dec for use this summer. I did use it over my 40* Enigma and was warm into the 20s.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I use to have a 40F,30F, and 15F sleeping bags and then moved to quilts 10 years ago. I've settled on a 20F quilt with a sewn together footbox and a 40F quilt with a footbox that can be opened. I find that this combo works well in all 3 season conditions I'll typically encounter which is typically upper teens to low 60's. I have other solutions for the rare times it's hotter than that. Going with the 40F with a footbox that can open allows for use over a very wide range of temperatures. I only like a sewn closed footbox for really cold weather where even a minor draft can be an issue. If you really want a 50F, I would only use it for summer and not where the mountains get tall.

I had a 30 degree Enigma that I sold to help fund a Palisade. The Enigma footbox pinched my toes, (my feet are size 12), causing foot cramps after a long day hiking. Not sure about about the Revelation, but I have a 40 degree Hammock Gear Burrow with a snap footbox that I use in the summer, (your right, the Palisade is too warm). The Burrow works great, the 55 inch width is perfect for ground camping.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

How is it for packing? Does it take up much space?

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I have a 50* APEX Enigma and I like the closed footbox due to feet that easily get cold. The APEX version also avoids then aforementioned clumping.

50* Long/Wide weighs 11.47 oz in APEX with the 10D inner/outer.

I haven't used it in the summer yet as I got it in Nov/Dec for use this summer. I did use it over my 40* Enigma and was warm into the 20s.
    How is it packed? Does it take much space?

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post

I appreciate your input, I might look into the below Mr Miagi advice. How cheap would you be willing to sell it?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    How is it packed? Does it take much space?
    I was able to pack the 40* and the 50* plus my sleep clothes in a Zpacks large rectangular dry bag which is 14L. The 50* by itself would possibly compress down to 4L if I had to guess.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

A female friend of mine ordered a 0 degree quilt from EE, and her feet froze at 20 degrees. I forget what it's called, but it's the kind that un-zips all the way.
    Possibilities:
    - she's a cold sleeper
    - cinching the foot box closed
    - compresses the down, reducing r value
    - when cinched closed, there was still a finger sized hole allowing air to come in and go out when she moved.

So keep that in mind.

If I were to order a quilt, I'd order the kind with the sealed foot box. I imagine it would be easy enough to pull feet/legs out of it if it were a warm night.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    A female friend of mine ordered a 0 degree quilt from EE, and her feet froze at 20 degrees. I forget what it's called, but it's the kind that un-zips all the way.
    Possibilities:
    - she's a cold sleeper
    - cinching the foot box closed
    - compresses the down, reducing r value
    - when cinched closed, there was still a finger sized hole allowing air to come in and go out when she moved.

So keep that in mind.

If I were to order a quilt, I'd order the kind with the sealed foot box. I imagine it would be easy enough to pull feet/legs out of it if it were a warm night.
    I bought a 20F quilt a few weeks ago. Regarding the finger sized hole, most YouTube videos suggest putting a sock in the hole, then cinching up.
    Also important is wearing a toque or goose hood.

Also, the videos...one I recall from a young woman at the Himalayan basecamp, she shows how you roll side to side to get the quilt under your shoulders.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    Also, the videos...one I recall from a young woman at the Himalayan basecamp, she shows how you roll side to side to get the quilt under your shoulders.
    Link please?

Leonidas

If you have an EE quilt, specifically the Enigma(sewn footbox) it has two snaps near the top that would keep you from having a draft unless you rolled pretty hard while grabbing the quilt. Pretty sure the Revelation has that as well. Only had mine out for probably 20 nights but no drafts so far. I do rotisserie sleep as well so that is with rolling from side to back to side during the night.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Hey all- I ended up ordering a MLD spirit 48’ synthetic quilt. It opens flat and has a closable footbox. It also comes with a closable head slit which was a big seller for me because it will double as my insulation layer in warmer weather allowing me to leave my down jacket at home. It will also go nicely with my poncho tarp. Should be around 12-13 oz which is slightly heavier than down options but good for hot sweaty summer time and also useful to wear around camp. Thanks for all the feed back.

++ New Posts ++