WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default More snow in the Whites

The sky finally cleared today. Seems like it's been snowing for weeks. Of course, the Valley Way trail was already well packed by the time I got there mid afternoon. I like when someone else does that work. The first ones up there reported snow up to their chests to wade through near tree line.

Here's the view from across the valley looking at Madison and Adams. There's a lot of snow up there!
    SAM_3793.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

How hard was it blowing above the tree line?

We heard the winds howling at night and today when we skied on the side of Isolation the winds were blustery...although the trees protected us most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

I didn't get near tree line myself, but judging by the winds in the valley, it would be down right blustery up high. Like hands and knees blustery. In the trees it wasn't bad.

Images

Has this winter been much above normal snowfall???
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Has this winter been much above normal snowfall???
    Right about average for the season, but not when it normally snows in Janurary and Februrary.

The Tahoe Basin is also getting snow. Finally.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I didn't get near tree line myself, but judging by the winds in the valley, it would be down right blustery up high. Like hands and knees blustery. In the trees it wasn't bad.
    My niece opted to not hike this weekend because of the wind and temp. Smart lady as she usually has to hike alone. Plus she's working on her Masters and has homework due on Tuesday. LOL
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I live one town over from the OP. Three weeks ago I had ground showing on south facing slopes and at most 10" of snow left in the yard. I have had close to 3' of snow since then. I was out snowshoeing yesterday and even with my big shoes I was sinking in a foot. Last nights temps in the local valleys were -20 F. Definitely not spring conditions yet. If we can get string of days over freezing and cold nights its going to set up the snow pack pretty well for some nice early spring hiking but right now breaking trails is major chore. It doesnt help that the softwoods are loaded with snow and hanging down over the trails so it real easy to get a snow dump down the collar.

It only got to -6 at my house this morning. Hope it warms up some as we should be making Maple syrup and it's too cold now.

I imagine all the 4K trails are broken out now but get off on side trails and your sinking 1-2 feet into the snow and occasionally fighting some big snow drifts. On the packed trails, if you step off the monorail, you could find yourself falling into a spruce trap over your head and those are a lot of work to climb out of.

Looks like the next storm is going to miss us up here this time, we need a break. But the Mid Atlantic will get hit.

++ New Posts ++