Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: fungus

Default fungus

So I started to do a pct hike last month, but aborted because of weather which I was unprepared for. The first night out, it rained hard, next morning it was cold and windy. Also, my ear was bothering me when I got up. So, I decided to come back when better prepared.
    Anyway, got home and doc tells me I've got a fungus infection in my ear. A week later I'm cured and start hiking my training trail. It's a little chilly and wet, and I figure this is great, cause these are the kinds of conditions I'm light on, and need more experience with. But, after 2 days, I've got this fungus infection in my ear again!
    Is this a cold or wet weather thing? I'm thinking it must be, because I've never had this before, but never really hiked much in cold or wet weather...

Stop putting your toe in your ear.

Default fungus

Hey I wish I COULD put my toe in my ear! But I haven't been that limber since I was maybe two! ?

One word - yoga.
    Next two words - better sex.
    No more words.

It's probably what we call swimmers' ear. Cary a small dropper bottle with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and rubbing alcohol (or whatever other similar internet recipe appeals to you). Put a drop in each ear once a day and the problem will go away and not return. The vinegar makes the ear canal acidic which inhibits growth of the infection and the alcohol dried out the ear canal in which constant wetness can lead to "swimmers' ear".

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Default fungus

ok, thanks, nsherry.

Default fungus

never put liquids in your ear or seek medical advice on WB
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Default fungus

not seeking medical advice. trying to confirm my thinking that this issue comes up due to hiking in the cold, wet weather. it's a fungus infection. is fungus more common out in the woods when it's cold and wet?
    Maybe it's one or the other -- maybe it's just wet weather when there's more fungus. So, it could be cold and wet, or warm and wet -- conditions could be more ripe for fungus, in either case. But I don't know -- just trying to find out. I did get treatment from the doc.

Conditions needed for the propagation of fungus:
    Temperature above 50 degrees and high humidity. Your ears qualify on both counts. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I would be more concerned about the first round of treatment not curing the problem.
    Get well soon.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Conditions needed for the propagation of fungus:
    Temperature above 50 degrees and high humidity. Your ears qualify on both counts. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I would be more concerned about the first round of treatment not curing the problem.
    Get well soon.
    Wayne
    Wait -- so are you saying that fungus just naturally can propogate inside the human ear, regardless of external conditions, since the inside of the ear is warm and wet? Then how come I went 71 years without ear fungus? How come all of us don't always have ear fungus?

Just lucky I suppose. Or unlucky.
    My guess is that you spent several days on public transportation, several days on the Border loosening up your knee before hitting the trail. 12–18 hours later you have an ear infection. The backpacking component of your illness was coincidental.
    If people got sick from backpacking, humans would not have survived long enough to emerge from caves.
    Wayne

Default fungus

well, crap! This really screws up my thinking! Cause I was thinking that hiking in the wet weather in Campo caused the 1st occurrence, and then doing the same thing back home caused the 2nd occurrence.
    You’re suggesting that the pills I took the first time didn't completely cure me.
    Now I'm taking the same stuff again. I hope this is NOT going to be one of these situations where, since I wasn't completely cured the first time, the bugs I got now are superbugs that won't respond to this stuff. Holy moly. Well W, if anything happens, you can have the new 3l platypus !

Think about what else is warm and moist. What do you think a yeast infection is? You have fungi living in you right now even though I would assume you don't have a vagina. Under your nails, in your digestive tract, on your skin,...Fungus jefalis. Conditions become opitimum, fungi spread get out control or fungi types gain a foothold.

I never leave or pay for a MD visit unless the Doc can tell me how to again avoid what I'm there for. He or she better provide the answer or I'm in the wrong place. If all they can do is address symptoms I'm in the wrong place. Its my momey my time im paying for goods and services. Im amazed the extent of persistence often required to get this answered. Many Docs seem shocked or act complacently asking about causes and how to avoid again what I'm there for. It tells me their education and practice is primarily based on addressing symptoms not root causes.

Ahh the pill mill. Take this wonder pill. And take this additional wonder pill for the side effects caused by the first pill. On a 1 to 10 range what level of pain are you experiencing? Uh ahh I see level 2. Hmm. You can take these additional pain pills too. Cha ching cha ching cha ching. We take cash, check, or charge. Who's your insurance carrier? When do you want to schedule your next visit? Cha ching cha ching.

Best healthcare system in the world...for whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Think about what else is warm and moist. What do you think a yeast infection is? You have fungi living in you right now even though I would assume you don't have a vagina. Under your nails, in your digestive tract, on your skin,...Fungus jefalis. Conditions become opitimum, fungi spread get out control or fungi types gain a foothold.

I never leave or pay for a MD visit unless the Doc can tell me how to again avoid what I'm there for. He or she better provide the answer or I'm in the wrong place. If all they can do is address symptoms I'm in the wrong place. Its my momey my time im paying for goods and services. Im amazed the extent of persistence often required to get this answered. Many Docs seem shocked or act complacently asking about causes and how to avoid again what I'm there for. It tells me their education and practice is primarily based on addressing symptoms not root causes.
    Yeah. It's in my EAR! Not my vagina! Crazy stuff, man! ? Even tho this medicine says it's also for vaginal yeast infections.
    So, let me get this straight. You fall out of a tree, you break your arm. The doc sets it, but forgets to tell you not to climb a tree again. So you don't pay him? Sometimes the doc's might know how to cure something but not necessarily what causes it. I bet there's lots of things for which they don't know the cause. Like I'm really gonna say, "Doc, don't bother treating my ear, if you can't tell ne what caused the problem ". Regardless, I want the ear fixed!
    The p a. did say to me, "you ever think about putting cotton in your ears when you're out there hiking"?
    Later, when I thought about that, that was a clue. She must have known it was environmental. And further, she must have assumed that I knew it was environmental. Otherwise, I think she would have said something like , "Jeff, I think you're getting this from the air in the woods. Why don't you put cotton in your ears before you go out there"?

My cure for a year-long ear infection that was not cured by antibiotics, steroids, suctioning, or referral to an ENT;
    Put nothing in your ear to dry it or scratch it. (Using q tips removes good wax and impacts it). Don’t submerge your head in water in the bath tub. Wear ear plugs when swimming. Dry up any water in the ear with a mixture of alcohol and vinegar.

Another thought:
    There’s crud in the air everywhere.
    Your body got used to the local crud in your neighborhood. You stay well.
    Then you do the planes, trains and automobiles and busses thing from home to the border. Over several days.
    New crud. Different crud. Your body started trying to adapt to the new crud.
    Next you get on another bus and go to Campo. Or was it an Uber car? Anyway, Campo. More new crud. Your body’s working overtime to keep you safe from the new crud.
    7 liters of seltzer water???? You didn’t figure out the mistake when you opened the first bottle?????
    Meanwhile you still have the Battle of the Crud raging in your body. A front blows through. It rains a little. Wind blows a little. It’s 30 something in the morning. Welcome to the desert.
    The crud wins the battle.
    Crud 1 Body 0
    So far you have confirmed that other sources recommended the same things that I did before you started this thread.
    Just sayin’.
    By all means get well!
    Wayne

For the medical industrial complex. It's all a big racket. When I went to my last physical, I wasn't asked IF I take pills, but what pills I take. I'm 44 and take no pills, none. They were very surprised. I also have no interest in taking pills. My cholesterol is slightly elevated but my HDL (the good cholesterol) is off the charts good. I'm not about to take some statin for the next 44 years of my life with indeterminate long term consequences just to check a box on some docs form covering himself from liability. I had another doc tell me to avoid "extreme exercise", by which he meant marathons and long distance hiking. Again, cya. Much of modern medicine is simply profit seeking nonsense coupled with litigation fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    For the medical industrial complex. It's all a big racket. When I went to my last physical, I wasn't asked IF I take pills, but what pills I take. I'm 44 and take no pills, none. They were very surprised. I also have no interest in taking pills. My cholesterol is slightly elevated but my HDL (the good cholesterol) is off the charts good. I'm not about to take some statin for the next 44 years of my life with indeterminate long term consequences just to check a box on some docs form covering himself from liability. I had another doc tell me to avoid "extreme exercise", by which he meant marathons and long distance hiking. Again, cya. Much of modern medicine is simply profit seeking nonsense coupled with litigation fears.
    Uh, ok....I'm just trying to find out about this ear infection, tho...?

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Another thought:
    There’s crud in the air everywhere.
    Your body got used to the local crud in your neighborhood. You stay well.
    Then you do the planes, trains and automobiles and busses thing from home to the border. Over several days.
    New crud. Different crud. Your body started trying to adapt to the new crud.
    Next you get on another bus and go to Campo. Or was it an Uber car? Anyway, Campo. More new crud. Your body’s working overtime to keep you safe from the new crud.
    7 liters of seltzer water???? You didn’t figure out the mistake when you opened the first bottle?????
    Meanwhile you still have the Battle of the Crud raging in your body. A front blows through. It rains a little. Wind blows a little. It’s 30 something in the morning. Welcome to the desert.
    The crud wins the battle.
    Crud 1 Body 0
    So far you have confirmed that other sources recommended the same things that I did before you started this thread.
    Just sayin’.
    By all means get well!
    Wayne
    No, I was too excited about getting started to notice the first bottle was seltzer water. What's that got to do with my ears anyway!!!???!!
    Nobody else here has recommended ear plugs, which is what you recommended before I started the thread. Even if they did, I like to hear from folks besides just you all the time!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++