WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I did the Nantahala in a packraft I was testing for Trailspace, followed by a short AT section . It was a really fun trip:

That was great Patman. Post a link to the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxUHere is the full review on Trailspace: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klymi...d/#review31490

I chopped the videos up in the review but before doing that I made a raw compilation of all my test trips with no narration, music or much captioning. People have told me that the raw video is better. Guess that means I should be quiet more.

Raw video of packraft tests (it is very long for a You Tube video at 10 minutes but you can fast forward of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxU

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxUHere is the full review on Trailspace: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klymi...d/#review31490

I chopped the videos up in the review but before doing that I made a raw compilation of all my test trips with no narration, music or much captioning. People have told me that the raw video is better. Guess that means I should be quiet more.

Raw video of packraft tests (it is very long for a You Tube video at 10 minutes but you can fast forward of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZZX2mAdxU
    Awesome! I’m going to try using my xtherm as a sup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I finished the state of Virginia we had an extra night and day of the trip so we drove on down to Hot Springs, NC (Gambit's favorite trail town) to enjoy a day on the French Broad River. The rafting company is extremely experienced and kind there. Ask for Mikey as a guide he was really great.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Default Nantahala, Hot Springs and Erwin for a 12-13 year-old

I've had the pleasure of rafting the Nantahala from the lake outlet to the NOC HQ once, the French Broad from Barnard to Hot Springs once, and have rafted the Nolichucky from the normal put-in at Poplar, NC down to the Chestoa take-out immediately above Uncle Johnny's near Erwin, TN several times, including once with my sons, then aged 8 and 12. The AT runs directly by all 3 locations.

The Nantahala is a half-day paddle and can be done in rafts or inflatable kayaks (duckies or funyaks is the paddling term for them). The Nantahala is mostly fast-moving water but is without a lot of big drops, so it's generally a II or a light III if I recall correctly. Fun for kids but not too scary. Since the water comes from the bottom of Nantahala Lake, it's extremely cold and wetsuits are needed year-round. The cold water makes the take-out right at the NOC HQ a very welcome sight since there are hot showers/changing rooms right there. Most everybody inintentionally "swims" the final drop right at the take-out which is Class III Nantahala Falls.

The French Broad is bigger water with some flatwater mixed in with runs, riffles, and some bona fide Class III and light IV drops, mostly towards the downstream end. If you were camped at the Hot Springs Resort CG for the night, your hot showers would be right at the take-out. Accessing the put-in at Barnard, as well as the put-in for the Nolichucky described below, involves a "Class VI bus ride" over narrow and very steeply inclined roads. Sometimes the bus ride is far scarier than the paddling.

My sons and I had a ball on the Nolichucky, as have I when running it at other times with groups of adults. It's in a very scenic deep gorge, with great views of the mountains on both sides, and is big, wide water with nice Class III rapids here and there. it's an all-day trip with lunch served. One of the outfitters (USA Raft?) has their office beside the Nolichucky River Campground (a good spot to overnight in your own tent or a rented cabin) a quarter mile above the public take-out, so your hot showers are right there if you book with them. Otherwise you may be in for a long, cold bus or car ride after taking out.

See a pattern behind the planning for access to hot water at the take-out?

Though the Nolichucky is the furthest north of the 3, it may be somewhat quicker and easier to access from FL in that I-26 runs directly by the take-out. Hot Springs, by contrast, is around an hour through the mountains on 2-lane roads from I-26/US-23 north of Asheville, meaning it's no closer in time. The NOC on the Nantahala is a something of a grind from any Interstate. I've never approached it from the south so don't really know time and distance from a superslab.

Enjoy the planning and the trip with your son.

AO

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    I've had the pleasure of rafting the Nantahala from the lake outlet to the NOC HQ once, the French Broad from Barnard to Hot Springs once, and have rafted the Nolichucky from the normal put-in at Poplar, NC down to the Chestoa take-out immediately above Uncle Johnny's near Erwin, TN several times, including once with my sons, then aged 8 and 12. The AT runs directly by all 3 locations.

The Nantahala is a half-day paddle and can be done in rafts or inflatable kayaks (duckies or funyaks is the paddling term for them). The Nantahala is mostly fast-moving water but is without a lot of big drops, so it's generally a II or a light III if I recall correctly. Fun for kids but not too scary. Since the water comes from the bottom of Nantahala Lake, it's extremely cold and wetsuits are needed year-round. The cold water makes the take-out right at the NOC HQ a very welcome sight since there are hot showers/changing rooms right there. Most everybody inintentionally "swims" the final drop right at the take-out which is Class III Nantahala Falls.

The French Broad is bigger water with some flatwater mixed in with runs, riffles, and some bona fide Class III and light IV drops, mostly towards the downstream end. If you were camped at the Hot Springs Resort CG for the night, your hot showers would be right at the take-out. Accessing the put-in at Barnard, as well as the put-in for the Nolichucky described below, involves a "Class VI bus ride" over narrow and very steeply inclined roads. Sometimes the bus ride is far scarier than the paddling.

My sons and I had a ball on the Nolichucky, as have I when running it at other times with groups of adults. It's in a very scenic deep gorge, with great views of the mountains on both sides, and is big, wide water with nice Class III rapids here and there. it's an all-day trip with lunch served. One of the outfitters (USA Raft?) has their office beside the Nolichucky River Campground (a good spot to overnight in your own tent or a rented cabin) a quarter mile above the public take-out, so your hot showers are right there if you book with them. Otherwise you may be in for a long, cold bus or car ride after taking out.

Though the Nolichucky is the furthest north of the 3, it may be somewhat quicker and easier to access from FL in that I-26 runs directly by the take-out. Hot Springs, by contrast, is around an hour through the mountains on 2-lane roads from I-26/US-23 north of Asheville, meaning it's no closer in time. The NOC on the Nantahala is a something of a grind from any Interstate. I've never approached it from the south so don't really know time and distance from a superslab.

AO
    Wow lots of great info here thanks!

yes, lots of great info here....thanks to all.

Unfortunately I might not be making the trip now, as my wife has sites set on other plans..... but I'm still taking notes. Maybe I can pull off something... a shorter trip perhaps.... or just up for some rafting....
    That packraft video was fun Patman.

+3 TU Alleghanian Orogeny. Timely. Great terse comparisons. Pinned.

There is the AT/ Bartram loop with the last leg of the trip being the 8 mile paddle into the NOC. Park at the NOC, go south on the AT until you meet with the Bartram trail at Wayah Bald. Take the Bartram trail to the put-in at the Nantahala and then paddle back to the NOC. The trail mileage ends up around 45 miles if I remember correctly and then the 8 mile paddle. You would obviously need to call ahead and speak with someone at the NOC to set this up unless you have packrafts or something similar of your own. Would probably have to take their safety class and all of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post

AO
    Good times on the Nantahala..that final and only real drop just before NOC....I guess I should have bought the pic....

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Good times on the Nantahala..that final and only real drop just before NOC....I guess I should have bought the pic....[emoji3
    Been there, swam that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++