WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Osprey Exos/Eja opinion? or ULA circuit

Planning on a 2019 thru with my husband and I'm considering changing from an Osprey AG aura to the new eja OR the circuit. Has anyone bought the new women's eja or know anyone who has? I know the big gripe is that they eliminated the hip belt pockets. I don't mind buying a pocket attachment from somewhere else because the Osprey pockets are never that roomy anyway. I'm more wondering about the overall fit and feel compared to the old unisex exos that everyone loves. It's the bag my husband used for our long trail hike and he absolutely loves it. I haven't had a chance to go to REI to try on the new women's version yet but I figured I'd post something on here because there are only a couple of reviews online and I'm not finding anything on Youtube.

My other option I've looked at that's in my price range is the circuit. I hear great things but my only concern is that when you pack it, do you ever have issues with it feeling lumpy against your back. I'm used to the mesh panel that the aura has so anything that's in the bag never directly leans against your back. How do you find the comfort of it is what I'm asking I guess.

The aura is great but my gear is light enough where I could definitely be using a lighter bag.

Thoughts?

My wife and I have found pack fit to be very personal, about as personal as shoe fit.

With the Aura at

S: 4 lbs. 2 oz.M: 4 lbs. 3 oz

I can see why you might want to switch.

I do remember reading one review by someone who had gone to the Aura from an Exos, even though they were light, because of fit issues. Myself, the Exos fits me very well. Not so well for my wife who uses a different pack.

Nothing beats carrying one around with 20 lb of sandbags in it for ten to fifteen minutes. I now do that while trying on shoes too.

Wish you luck.

Images

new products from osprey, that you might want to check into...........

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...INA45_578.html

Images

You can order it at REI, have it shipped to the store and then you could walk around in it with their sand bags. Return it if it doesn't fit. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    You can order it at REI, have it shipped to the store and then you could walk around in it with their sand bags. Return it if it doesn't fit. good luck
    Heck, you can order it from REI, have it shipped to your HOME load it up with your gear, walk around with it, and return it if it doesn't fit.

I'd say the odds are good that you would like the new Eja as well as your husband likes his Exos. But, you won't know until you've spent some time with it. Most of the changes between last years Exos and the new Exos/Eja packs are less mesh and more solid material on the outside pockets to improve durability. Much bigger side pockets which adds flexibility in packing. And finally the "updated", potentially more comfortable and supportive, hip belt with the pockets eliminated. I love the idea of hip belt pockets, BUT I find they get in the way of my arm movement if they have much of anything in them, so I pretty much never use mine on any of my packs that have them. Interestingly, when I do use them, I generally forget they are there and so loose my pocket knife, headphones or whatever I put in them until some trip in the future when I happen to look in the pocket and find what I lost.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

ULA all the way.

If the Eja fits you, it’s a solid pack.
    But I don’t think it does anything the circuit doesn’t (except haul more weight, which is something to consider).

The circuit is super light while having a cavernous pocket and a huge outer mesh pocket (which is awesome, to me). Paired with good hip belt pockets and generously sized side pockets I think it’s the Cadillac of long distance hiking packs.

Also worth taking a look at is the gossamer Gear Mariposa. There are a few other brands in this game also worth checking.

If you don’t like the circuit you can return it.

I love mine, still going strong after a thru

I agree with Elaikases. Pack fit is very personal. I love my circuit. It fits like a glove and I have no problems with "lumpiness". It has everything I need regarding size, hip belt pockets, and expanding back pocket. However, my buddy that hikes with me is equally sold on his Osprey. His pack is def heavier than mine, but is comfortable for him. I tried it and while I didn't hate it, I didn't find the fit to be nearly as good. Again, very personal when it comes to packs. I think when it comes to Osprey vs. ULA you can't really go wrong with quality.
    Good luck in your search!
    JC

I've never had problems with any lumpiness against my back in the circuit which has a decent amount of back padding, but I'm aware of how I pack and careful. The circuit has been a great pack for me for thousands of miles over several years and still going strong.

++ New Posts ++