Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wonderland Trail

Hello, looking for others to hike the Wonderland Trail with this year in Sept. Anyone else interested ?
    Just ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Hello, looking for others to hike the Wonderland Trail with this year in Sept. Anyone else interested ?
    Registering for permits opened Thursday and I believe close at the end of the month, so get them in as soon as you can. It's a non-refundable $20.00 but its better to have selected dates by permit than try to get them in a walk-up. I believe 30% of the permits are held back for walk-ups though.

We have a permit in for this summer now, hoping we can get the dates!

I'd suggest that you put in for a permit allowing for plenty of days. It's too pretty to rush. Also, unless you are super fit, it's a tough trail. There is almost no flat trail and lots of vertical gain and loss. Take ten days or more, unless of course you are in it for the physical challenge. Also bring good rain gear.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'd suggest that you put in for a permit allowing for plenty of days.
    Friends tried it and ran out of time. Apparently they spent to much time eating huckleberries.

Just do it. You will not be alone.
    Transportation to/from the park may be almost as much of a problem as the permit.
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Just do it. You will not be alone.
    Transportation to/from the park may be almost as much of a problem as the permit.
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    Yes. It's pretty social. My son and I met people who we hiked and camped with along the way a couple of years ago. And you probably will need to rent a car and pay for it to sit. Picture yourself here P1010110.JPG . It's worth it.

You’re killing me!
    Thanks for sharing your experience on the trail.
    Quick question:
    You suggested a 10 day hike. Is there a resupply point along the trail? Or pack 10 days of food?
    Thanks.
    Wayne

You’re killing me!
    Thanks for sharing your experience on the trail.
    Quick question:
    You suggested a 10 day hike. Is there a resupply point along the trail? Or pack 10 days of food?
    Thanks.
    Wayne
    Yes! The park holds food caches at Sunrise, Longmire, and maybe Mowich Lake. You can send them ahead in plastic buckets. They'll hold fuel, too. but I think you need to deliver it in person. At worst, maybe 6 days to carry. They are very helpful, if rather tightly regulated. We went as walk ins, so we drove around to drop off our caches and get to our start/finish.

That’s a plan.
    Thank you so much!
    Wayne

That’s a plan.
    Thank you so much!
    Wayne
    Sounds like you're planning to go. I met a a couple there, Chris and Rich, who were 65 and 75 at the time. They made a 14 day itinerary. We crossed paths 3 times (going opposite directions and different start points) and they were all smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Sounds like you're planning to go. I met a a couple there, Chris and Rich, who were 65 and 75 at the time. They made a 14 day itinerary. We crossed paths 3 times (going opposite directions and different start points) and they were all smiles.
    It's been on my mind since forever. Before Al Gore dreamed up the interweb even. It's getting closer to the top of the list. Can't go this year. Next year is looking awfully good. They let you submit a 14 day plan? Cool.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I found the Wonderland Trail Guide pages. Roughed out a 14 day itinerary for September, 2019.
    A Geezer's alternative to thru hiking.
    Wayne

I found the Wonderland Trail Guide pages. Roughed out a 14 day itinerary for September, 2019.
    Wayne
    Geezers rock. And not just in chairs.

Did it last year and it was amazing. Renting a car just to leave it at the trailhead the entire time sucks but is the only option we were able to come up with. We used too resupply points but depending on the length of your trip you can use more. Number of days is obviously dependent on how many miles you want to hike in any given day. We did 8 days last year, had some short days where I was bored and some long days that pushed my limits. Seems like 10ish days was about average for the people we talked to on the trail. I think there was one couple that was taking 18 days.

Wayne
    I highly recommend Tami Asars book about the Wonderland Trail. Great info on the campsites, sections of the trail, etc.

Thanks John.
    Wayne

Journal Entries
    Images

It's been on my mind since forever. Before Al Gore dreamed up the interweb even.
    And before he and his son climbed Rainer.

My wife and i were only able to do a short section 25 years ago, but just pulled out pictures of our campsites at Indian Bar and Sumerlamd and plenty of goats in between last night.

I am green with envy!

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    And before he and his son climbed Rainer.

My wife and i were only able to do a short section 25 years ago, but just pulled out pictures of our campsites at Indian Bar and Sumerlamd and plenty of goats in between last night.

I am green with envy!
    Don’t get green too fast.
    A year before I can even ask for a permit. 5 months and a bit before I would start. If all goes well.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

It's a pretty social trail, you will meet many people so don't be afraid to start solo. We hiked it in 9 days which was ideal for our pace (our shortest day was 8 miles, longest 17). There are several places you can stash food, we started at Movich Lake and had a resupplies at Whitewater Ranger Station and Longmire, and that worked really nicely. We only carried 3 days worth at a time. Hope you get your permit. It's a fantastic experience.
    My book I Had a Dream, I Lived It is now available on Amazon. 1% of all 2018 sales will go to Pacific Crest Trail Association. http://goo.gl/pLfXMO Happy Trails!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Bummer. 2018 was the year I was to tag the Wonderland Trail, but my knees are shot after I aborted a JMT 2016 thru-hike. Someday. Have a great hike!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++