Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Hello, looking for others to hike the Wonderland Trail with this year in Sept. Anyone else interested ?
    Speedbump, I have a request in for the last week of August. Assuming I get the permit, I may pass you on the trail. September is a great time to hike the Wonderland.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Speedbump, I have a request in for the last week of August. Assuming I get the permit, I may pass you on the trail. September is a great time to hike the Wonderland.
    Shutterbug is our resident expert on the Wonderland Trail, in case you didn't know.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Shutterbug is our resident expert on the Wonderland Trail, in case you didn't know.
    I was the "resident expert" but I recently moved to Kansas. I just have not had time to change my profile. At age 75 I don't know how many more times I will be able to hike it, but I applied for an 8 day permit.
    Shutterbug

I am planning on hiking this trail after the JMT in mid august.

I hope thats a good time of year for Washington!

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I am planning on hiking this trail after the JMT in mid august.

I hope thats a good time of year for Washington!
    August is a great time to hike the Wonderland. It is usually rain free and by August the worst of the bugs are gone.
    Shutterbug

August is a great time to hike the Wonderland. It is usually rain free and by August the worst of the bugs are gone.
    Hopefully your name is in the hat for a permit. Have fun.
    Wayne

Images

I threw my hat in the permit ring for an early-September hike. Fingers crossed.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I threw my hat in the permit ring for an early-September hike. Fingers crossed.
    And there are walk up permits, if you can be flexible.

Images

We did the Wonderland Trail between September 28th and October 1st 2014. We had some rain, a bit of snow but it was a great time to hike. While this trail would be a great trail to meander, I didn't find it difficult at all and would put it about average difficulty vs. other longer trails such as the PCT or AT. One advantage to the Late September start was that we had no issues with permits. However, we were done on October 1st and I don't think I would push much into October from a weather perspective.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

After doing it gonzo in 2010 we go back and just do our favorite part as a day hike in late August or early Sept; Box Canyon to White River, 17.6 miles. Gorgeous stuff, and no permit needed, just arrange a two car shuttle or have a friend drop off/pickup. There are many parts of the Wonderland trail that I don't care to see again... buggy and no views.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    After doing it gonzo in 2010 we go back and just do our favorite part as a day hike in late August or early Sept; Box Canyon to White River, 17.6 miles. Gorgeous stuff, and no permit needed, just arrange a two car shuttle or have a friend drop off/pickup. There are many parts of the Wonderland trail that I don't care to see again... buggy and no views.
    That is the best part of the Wonderland, but I suggest that you exit at the Frying Pan Creek Trailhead rather than White River. It cuts off almost three miles. After all the beauty you see between Box Canyon and Frying Pan Creek the almost three miles between Frying Pan Creek and White River are not very exciting.
    Shutterbug

That is the best part of the Wonderland, but I suggest that you exit at the Frying Pan Creek Trailhead rather than White River. It cuts off almost three miles. After all the beauty you see between Box Canyon and Frying Pan Creek the almost three miles between Frying Pan Creek and White River are not very exciting.
    I rather enjoy the change of pace, especially as its the only flat section of considerable length. I like walking among big trees, too.

Heading to the Wonderland Trail early June of 2018. Is there a loop that anyone suggests? We have about 3 days of hiking, maybe 20-25 miles or so total, so not far in terms of hiking. Thank you in advance!!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Heading to the Wonderland Trail early June of 2018. Is there a loop that anyone suggests? We have about 3 days of hiking, maybe 20-25 miles or so total, so not far in terms of hiking. Thank you in advance!!!!
    The Northern Loop is a great three day hike; however, early June is too early. Parts of it will still be under snow until mid-july.

In early June, your hiking on the Wonderland Trail will be limited to the southern sections around Longmire. The Sunrise and Mowich Lake entrances don't open until July. In most years, the log bridges that wash out during the winter are not replaced until early July.

If you your heart is set on hiking on the Wonderland Trail in early June, I suggest the Rampart Ridge Loop. It starts at Longmier, climbs the Rampart Ridge where it meets the Wonderland Trail which leads back to Longmire. It is a day hike and is usually the first trail available in the spring. You can also get on the Wonderland Trail and Longmire and hike toward Narda Falls. Most of that section will still be under snow, but it is well marked. If you have traction devices, like Yak Traks, it is usually open in early June unless the log bridge has washed out. I don't know if it has washed on this year.

You might also consider changing your destination to the coastal section of Olympic National Park. The Ozette Loop Trail is one of my favorite hikes for June.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 05-09-2018 at 13:13.
    Shutterbug

The Northern Loop is a great three day hike; however, early June is too early. Parts of it will still be under snow until mid-july.

In early June, your hiking on the Wonderland Trail will be limited to the southern sections around Longmire.
    Thank you Shutterbug!!!!!!!! I'm looking at all of your great advice, thanks again.
    Last edited by double d; 05-09-2018 at 13:20.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Thank you Shutterbug!!!!!!!! I'm looking at all of your great advice, thanks again.
    When the snow begins to melt, the Ranger's at Mt. Rainier post reports on which camp sites have melted out. I just checked and they have not yet started posting for 2018. Search for "Mt. Rainier backcountry camps." When they start posting the reports, they will show which camps are open.
    Shutterbug

In 2012 I recall setting up home depot type pickle buckets and duct taping them really good. I sent 3 or 4 of them off parceled to the ranger station and they relayed them to cache points before I got out there from FL.

I went in late September through early October. I saw less than a half dozen hikers and a ranger who rescheduled me one campsite up via radio. This is REALLY a very beautiful place. 8 or 9 days for me. It's less of a interval training kinda hike than the AT... more like, depending on your daily milage, up one day, down the next.... 'least that's how I liked hiked it. Once you get around Reflection Lake you feel you "got it licked."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++