WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ignore lists

Default Ignore lists

I'm in the habit of reading and considering all the posts on a thread before posting. This includes opinions not currently personally embraced, combative, and rambling. Others deserve that...to varying degrees. That's how we grow and learn ...considering. Or, is that not a primary goal...education...giving consideration? Are we primarily just talking at each other, opining to hear ourselves. If so, that's a waste of effort.

Since adding to my ignore list, which never had been a long list, I increasingly notice threads harder to follow disjointed with greater redundancy to the thread. Do others notice this?

I'm considering reducing that list to a minimum to avoid this and instead cede greater wt of applicability on an individual post basis rather than indibividual WB posters.

I don't usually use the ignore feature. I tend to just go past the posters I don't want to read with a quick glance to see if I want to give their current post a more thorough read. also, allows me to avoid getting lost in a thread like you have experienced.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

unfortunately i see a lot of bashing on the threads and people wanting to force their opinions onto others . i was under the understanding that whiteblaze was a place to trade styles of hiking and helping others that are beginning their journey into the magical world of hiking . some of the posts i see are just not necessary and really mean . people come here to get help and questions answered and instead they get a welcoming of people jumping down their throat if someone does not like what they are saying . i help hikers on a daily basis and a lot of them tell me they will not get on here because of the abusive comments . the trail saved my life and i will do all i can to help people out here succeed and i want them to see the magic that the trail has to offer . i'm not just speaking of a cooler of food or a gap with people serving food . i'm talking about the whole experience .... the friendships that are formed , the courage and self esteem that is built for people that have none by the accomplishing their goal everyday , the people that are searching for their soul and find it , the people that are trying to escape the grips of everyday society so they can catch a breath and regain their sanity , the towns and people of the trail , etc ... it is all magical . i have been everywhere and on a long strange trip and have never encountered anything as beautiful as the trail and what surrounds it . so , if you are asking if i see stuff that does not pertain to thread .. yes i see it all the time and that is why i do not say too much on here because someone will most likely attack my thoughts ... peace my friend and hike safely

It could be worse! I came here because I got tired of seeing people criticized because they liked tents or a brand that wasn't a cottage vender. I'm here to learn going on 70 and I still find some good tips.on here.

Using an ignore list is difficult for the reasons mentioned - disjointed conversations. I have just learned to scan over posts from people who I don't care to read. At least I see that it is there and find it easier to follow conversations without posts mysteriously missing.

The same problem exists on other social media, especially twitter. I've recently stopped using twitter because I had to mute so many accounts that regularly responded to my posts that it became impossible to understand responses to responses that I wasn't seeing - plus twitter is horrendous in general (my account was not backpacking related but associated with my profession).

I prefer lightly moderated threaded discussion groups like White Blaze far more than Facebook, Twitter and other social media even if I have very occasionally come across moderation of my own posts, I respect the way this site is managed and almost everyone who posts here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I’d like to a see a thread where everyone publishes their names of people on their ignore list.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I’d like to a see a thread where everyone publishes their names of people on their ignore list.
    is there a prize for whoever is on the most?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Not gonna happen. The ignore feature is for defensive not offensive purposes.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

The only person I can recall that I actually disliked reading posts from was the constant dogs on the AT troll, never and useful info, just bashing dog owners.

Personal roast: I am harsh on the "Gofundme" crowd, inconsiderate and no brainers out there. Sometimes a little too critical, but I would like to think from an age vs experience/knowledge standpoint in relation to the average on WB that the majority of folks enjoy reading my posts. I personally would like to know if my posts as a whole were not appreciated lol
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

At this point, almost all Go Fund Me type posts, here and on the various "Class of ..." FB pages have got to be trolls. I've never seen anything positive come out of such requests.

Images

It was more fun here 15 years ago.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Ha ha you can’t read this everyone blocked me ha ha . I’m invisible ha ha .

Thom

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Ha ha you can’t read this everyone blocked me ha ha . I’m invisible ha ha .

Thom
    Fixed it for you!

Hint: highlight the quoted post

I never really understood the purpose of an "ignore list." I am fully capable of screening out any given poster or post. I did double check though and I have a total of zero in my ignore list. Maybe I should add someone to the list so I can be like the rest of you... Just kidding.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I didn't even realize you could do that. I think I'm going to block Dutch. Every time he posts something, either I end up realizing he is a much better person than I am, or I spend money.

++ New Posts ++