WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How much wears out?

It hit me that one thing I don’t often see discussed is how many paid of socks or how many shirts people went through.

Lots of discussion about how shoes wear out on the trail, but it hit me, after I got my insectsheild treatment of gear, I should probably get some replacement gear treated too — and then I wondered how much.

Any thoughts?

On a thru hike or in general?

It used to be you'd have to get new socks fairly frequently, like once every 3-400 miles. But these new darn tough socks seem to go forever. Get three pair and cycle through them and they should go the distance.

Long term, I've been using the same shirt for years and it's got untold miles on it. I doubt you'd wear out a shirt unless it's ripped in a fall or something. You might want different shirts for the different seasons.

Mostly what you will wear out is shoes. Every 4 to 500 miles. Some people have to get new pants and pack waist belt if they loose too much weight.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

Yeah, shoes and socks in general. I made my NB trail runners go a little longer than they should, and used three pairs for the AT. Maybe four pairs of Smartwool socks. I used permethrin spray and retreated my clothes sometime in June. The rest of my stuff was tried and true on other long hikes, so no problems.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

It's highly subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    On a thru hike or in general?

It used to be you'd have to get new socks fairly frequently, like once every 3-400 miles. But these new darn tough socks seem to go forever. Get three pair and cycle through them and they should go the distance.

Long term, I've been using the same shirt for years and it's got untold miles on it. I doubt you'd wear out a shirt unless it's ripped in a fall or something. You might want different shirts for the different seasons.

Mostly what you will wear out is shoes. Every 4 to 500 miles. Some people have to get new pants and pack waist belt if they loose too much weight.

Thanks. Wife and I want to start a through th hike next year.

Mostly I was looking at getting some more socks treated.

Darn tuff socks are darn tough.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Wore a hole in one pair of darn toughs and was on my fourth pair of running shoes by the end. Shoes were the only thing that I needed help with from home. Bought five pairs of the same shoe before my thru and just called home when I needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Wore a hole in one pair of darn toughs and was on my fourth pair of running shoes by the end. Shoes were the only thing that I needed help with from home. Bought five pairs of the same shoe before my thru and just called home when I needed them.
    Any hassle returning them? I've heard they're pretty good about it but haven't tried it myself.

It was no problem returning them. I sent them home and waited until I was done. There is a form you download, fill out and send them in. If I remember correctly, brand new replacements came back in about two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by towerclimber727 View Post
    Any hassle returning them? I've heard they're pretty good about it but haven't tried it myself.

If you go on their website, there’s a form you fill out on line. They will send a replacement pair.

I wore a hole in a new pair of the Boot Socks on my LT thru, and they sent me a new pair no questions asked.

Great customer service from a company that takes pride in their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are over thinking this. I always wish I had a set of spare feet.

I went through several pairs of darn toughs. I still love them though - they replaced them all.

The only things I can think of that I needed to replace along the way are shoes and socks.

Small stuff like water bottles and zip locks

My clothes were torn a bit by the end and some of them were retired, but they made it the whole way.

Rain jacket was used up but Outdoor Research replaced it for free (OR Helium)

Hammock, quilts, tarp still going strong.

Bent a few stakes - replaced along the way.

Food bag pretty worn out, I could toss it out but along the way I just stuck some duct tape on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t treat your socks, it’s useless.
    Don’t worry about bugs in general.

Anytime you plow trough some brush just give yourself a once over; I didn’t even stop walking, just glanced down and checked my legs and arms.

I treated my first pair of socks and wore trough them before I even saw bugs.

You’ll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Don’t treat your socks, it’s useless.
    Don’t worry about bugs in general.

Anytime you plow trough some brush just give yourself a once over; I didn’t even stop walking, just glanced down and checked my legs and arms.

I treated my first pair of socks and wore trough them before I even saw bugs.

You’ll be fine

I will go with three pairs of treated socks then.

I don’t wear shorts in tick or chigger country, even hiking in the Texas summers.

So my treated pants tuck into treated socks.

So far. No ticks.

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

Another vote for Darn Toughs - they’re fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidlifeHiker View Post
    Another vote for Darn Toughs - they’re fabulous.

Are Smartwool socks comparable?

Seems like if you have smartwool you need to pick up a couple pairs of darn tough socks and use those to complete your three pairs of hiking socks collection.

Perhaps.

Darn tough socks are generally less cushion but slightly more durable than Smartwool comparing like models.

I guarantee Darn Tough socks can wear out and wear through. I'm not into returning very well used worn out hiking socks no matter any guarantee. This is reminescent of REI's past very liberal shoe return policy that was abused by hikers wearing shoes for extended periods, more than a yr in some cases, then returned eventually leading REI to tighten shoe return policy. If you prioritize durability and don't mind returning socks after significant use Darn Tough socks will satisfy those priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Darn tough socks are generally less cushion but slightly more durable than Smartwool comparing like models.

I guarantee Darn Tough socks can wear out and wear through. I'm not into returning very well used worn out hiking socks no matter any guarantee. This is reminescent of REI's past very liberal shoe return policy that was abused by hikers wearing shoes for extended periods, more than a yr in some cases, then returned eventually leading REI to tighten shoe return policy. If you prioritize durability and don't mind returning socks after significant use Darn Tough socks will satisfy those priorities.
    I felt kinda weird returning any socknised on a thru buttttt also went through a good number and figured hey, tha garuntee is part of the reason we buy them. They advertise a lifetime and that’s one of the reasons they’re so popular.

So, take advantage. I ended up returning 4 pair and use the replacements every day and love them.

Smartwool has no such warrantee.

Farm to feet does, I believe, with some caveats

That's just what I feel good with Shrewd. I wasnt trying to cast aspersions on you or anyone else. You dont have to defend your actions to me. The company clearly offers such a guarantee.

I took 3 pairs on my thru. 2 were Darn tough (I still wear em and just can't seem to wear them out) and 1 pair of Smartwooks for something comfy and warm at night and in town.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++