WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section 2 - 4 Hike - Feedback?

Hey everyone - I am planning a Section Hike S -> N on the BMT later this month, and was just looking for any thoughts or feedback obn the plan below:

Day 1 - Friday - Leave Three Forks by Noon and hike to Bryson Gap, making camp at Bryson Gap
    Day 2 - Saturday - my loooooong day - Leave Bryson Gap and hike all the way to Payne Gap, making camp at Payne Gamp
    Day 3 - Sunday - Hike out to Wilscott Gap and home in Atlanta by dinner :-)

I have never seen any of this trail before - doable? I've looked at the elevation and distance and am in good enough shape to do it based on a map read.

Also, the water sources at Bryson and Payne read like their pretty solid except in a real drought, just curious if anyone's been through there lately and knows if they are good.

TIA!

-James

Edit. Night two would be at the campsite on the north side of Licklog Mtn

Leonidas

Last two people I know of that were on the BMT in that section were @Redbeard and @plugitinhikes. If you have instagram, I imagine they would be able to give you some intel.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks! I followed them both :-)

We did a very little bit of hiking on this trail, but I believe in different locations than you mention. We were on the trail 3 weeks ago. Our impressions of this trail was it is a very lightly used trail. Heading south from Lost Creek Campground around Reliance TN, there was tons of blow downs. We "hiked" for about 3 hours and only covered 2 miles before the wife pulled the plug.

Heading northbound from Lost Creek, the trail was in much better condition. I believe the fisherman help keep this portion cleared better since it follows the creek.

I ended up doing this hike this weekend. Seasonal water sources were good, regular water sources really flowing. Ended up making much better time that I planned, so I did Section 5 too. Saw no other backpackers....just a few trail runners.

++ New Posts ++