WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Food cache in the Bigelows?

As the title says, is there anywhere to cache food between Route 27 and East Flagstaff Road? I'd be very surprised if there was but it doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Thanks for the info!

I have to ask, whats the point? The Bigelows are a two day hike if you take it easy. There is a trail thats goes directly to Avery campsite, but its almost as much effort as just hiking the trail over the peaks and cattying food.

Images

yeah, a food cache, were it even necessary, would only be a reasonable alternative if there was an easy way to get to somewhere to leave the cache.

there isn't in the bigelows.

when i hiked the bigelows i started from east flagstaff at around noon, spent the night at horn's pond and was down to rt 27 before noon the next day. were i doing it over i'd try do it all in one shot.

it might be a 2 night hike if you reaaalllly stretch it.

No. You could stash some food at the road crossing, but again what's the point? You would have to stash the food in a bear proof container and go back and get it later. I'm starting to think maybe you shouldn't be attempting this section.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    No. You could stash some food at the road crossing, but again what's the point? You would have to stash the food in a bear proof container and go back and get it later. I'm starting to think maybe you shouldn't be attempting this section.
    The question was just to help with planing how much food to carry. Why carry more if you don't have to? The Bigelows are part of a bigger section I'll be doing.

I won't have a problem doing this section.

Rt27 is usually a good resupply spot going into Stratton. The next one is Caratunk, or Kingfield if you have a way to get off East Flagstaff Rd. If you hit Long Falls Dam Rd, you may get a ride from someone leaving MHT Flagstaff back to Kingfield.

East Flagstaff road is a dirt road with little traffic as it services a few camps on the lake and is a long way around to any town. Once over Roundtop mountain, it's relatively easy the rest of the way to Caratunk. Limited supplies at Caratunk, so that is a good place to leave or send a package.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    East Flagstaff road is a dirt road with little traffic as it services a few camps on the lake and is a long way around to any town. Once over Roundtop mountain, it's relatively easy the rest of the way to Caratunk. Limited supplies at Caratunk, so that is a good place to leave or send a package.
    I went at the Flagstaff Road Parking last year after finishing my SOBO section at Long Falls Road to see if it might be a good place to leave a vehicle. I'm still debating whether or not I should leave my van there or if I should have a shuttle pick me up at the end of my section this year. If I leave my vehicle, I'll walk to Long Falls Road to reach least year's exit point and loop back to the parking lot and if I decide to get a shuttle I'll have them pick me up at Long Falls Road.

I’ve left my car at East Flagstaff rd parking area a couple of times. I never had any issues. Its not very far from there to Long Falls Dam rd. Whats your plan this time? LFD rd to Rangely?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I’ve left my car at East Flagstaff rd parking area a couple of times. I never had any issues. Its not very far from there to Long Falls Dam rd. Whats your plan this time? LFD rd to Rangely?
    I'm hoping to do the section between Rangely and Long falls road but I won't know for sure until management posts the summer vacation schedule. I'll be going for sure, I just don't know for how long.

Keep in mind Maine Huts and Trails Flagstaff Hut is right in the neighborhood. Note its similar concept to an AMC Hut, but far nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Keep in mind Maine Huts and Trails Flagstaff Hut is right in the neighborhood. Note its similar concept to an AMC Hut, but far nicer.
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    I'm hoping to do the section between Rangely and Long falls road but I won't know for sure until management posts the summer vacation schedule. I'll be going for sure, I just don't know for how long.
    there are some modestly extenuating circumstances behind this statement, and others who's opinion i dont discount would and have said otherwise, but east flagstaff road to rangely over 4 days is the hardest backpacking (ie not a dayhike, ive done some intense dayhikes) ive ever done. i dont think any part of it was especially hard on it's own, but by the time i was about 1/3rd of the way up poplar ridge i never wanted to try and walk up another mountain in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    there are some modestly extenuating circumstances behind this statement, and others who's opinion i dont discount would and have said otherwise, but east flagstaff road to rangely over 4 days is the hardest backpacking (ie not a dayhike, ive done some intense dayhikes) ive ever done. i dont think any part of it was especially hard on it's own, but by the time i was about 1/3rd of the way up poplar ridge i never wanted to try and walk up another mountain in my life.
    I had the pleasure of being a ridgerunner/caretaker on that stretch on summer a while back. It's pretty badass. I think the best part of the AT in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    Yeah, I hate going up mountains too. This will not be my first secion in Maine, I know what I'm getting into. I'll taylor my hike to the amount of time I get off work and take it from there. If I have a lot of time I'll do a longer distance, if I don't, I'll just do a shorter distance. I may even decide on another section, again depending on the time I have available.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    Yeah, I hate going up mountains too. This will not be my first secion in Maine, I know what I'm getting into. I'll taylor my hike to the amount of time I get off work and take it from there. If I have a lot of time I'll do a longer distance, if I don't, I'll just do a shorter distance. I may even decide on another section, again depending on the time I have available.
    i'm mostly just basing this off of hearsay and impressions gathered from others, as i have yet to hike north of monson, but i dont think anything north of east flagstaff road is comparable to the high peaks region.

and i'm in no way meaning to discourage you at all. its jut some small part of me will always break out into a metaphorical sweat when someone says "i'm going to hike from east flagstaff to rangeley" or thereabouts

and i actually dont hate going up mountains at all. but what i think "bugged" me about that section is that aside from the few miles on either side of spaulding mtn lean to you are more or less always going either up or down steep and difficult terrain at all times. the whites on balance might be harder but you at least get to walk along the tops of the ridges in between climbing up and down them. not so much through this section.

I think the section from Gentian Pond to RT 26, or maybe even to rt17, is some of the hardest hiking I've done. Rangely to East Flagstaff is a close second.

MHT is nicer than the AMC huts in the Whites. Hot water and showers instantly make them better. Of course, the views are far less spectacular. The MHT trails, for the most part, are made for cross country skiing or mountain biking so they aren't as steep or as high, they are more civilized. I can't wait for them to finish the system.

Oh yeah, I was going to add that Rangely to East Flagstaff would be a decent 5 or 6 day hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I think the section from Gentian Pond to RT 26, or maybe even to rt17, is some of the hardest hiking I've done. Rangely to East Flagstaff is a close second.
    one day i'm going to rehike grafton notch to rangely for the simple reason that ive read countless times since i hiked it about how brutally hard it is and i really cant remember it being the least bit difficult, relatively speaking.

The trails are steep. I think freshly coming out of the Notch, between Rt 26 and 17 may seem tame in comparison. The Bald Pates, Frye Notch, Old Blue and that climb up to the height of the Land all kinda sucked. Not real tall, but steep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++