WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The Nantahala Hiking Club just posted about replacing the Rock Gap shelter. Estimated cost of materials is $18,000. Much more reasonable than other guesses.

https://www.gofundme.com/nhc-appalachian-trail-shelter

I wish they would relocate this one instead of rebuilding it. Way too close to the road. That does make it easy to get the materials in though...

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    The Nantahala Hiking Club just posted about replacing the Rock Gap shelter. Estimated cost of materials is $18,000. Much more reasonable than other guesses.

https://www.gofundme.com/nhc-appalachian-trail-shelter

I wish they would relocate this one instead of rebuilding it. Way too close to the road. That does make it easy to get the materials in though...
    Sure does. That makes a lot of sense though.

Images

Here's a picture of an old CCC retaining wall along the AT in Virginia near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Built in the 1940's, definitely good craftsmanship and held up very well for over 70 years.

CCC.jpg
    It's all good in the woods.

Most of the cost of those WM shelters are from the helicopter trips needed to get materials to relatively high elevations and far from road crossings.

In Mass, we harvested the timber frame from a local trail supporters woods, and carried in the materials. We have a small powered wheelbarrow for the bigger framing members, but everything else is human carried. Our cost 15 years ago was under 10k--and about 400 volunteer hours. Shelters are re-roofed about every 20 years and a fresh coat of stain about every 10. It unlikely we will build any more shelters, we feel that we have the right number in place, and are increasingly reluctant to increase the amount of maintained infrastructure we are responsible for.

That said, shelters are a real draw for getting volunteers involved. The ”beaver gene” is strong.

Cosmo

I think the outhouse she's taking a picture of cost $100k, in NJ, I think?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I seem to recall one of the shelters near the South end was constructed using military helicopters as a training exercise. I recall seeing a plaque. That actually sounds like a good use of resources - the exercise, not the metal plaque.

Images

I remember seeing that one. Plumorchard Gap Shelter, first one north of Dicks Creek Gap. Nice shelter, too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++