WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Does hemp fabric dry fast ?

Would a hemp shirt work as well as synthetic ?

Thom

Images

NO. Hemp is a cellulose fiber - like cotton, linen, rayon etc, it will hold onto water.

And hemp fiber is quicker to rot if left moldering. I have a few tops in hemp, like the idea, but not optimum for damp hiking. Maybe in desert areas it would be ok.

My wife bought a large piece of hemp cloth (which was very expensive) and sewd me a nice shirt for desert hiking.
    It did dry noticeabely faster than cotton, was quite not as smooth and comfortable on the skin (but still great) as cotton, and, which really was the biggest issue, didn't last long, but wore holes in the hip area where the backpack was in constant friction.
    Not really recommended.

May not make the best shirt but, in a pinch, you can smoke it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Images

May not make the best shirt but, in a pinch, you can smoke it!

gross..........

one does not smoke hemp............

its like smoking corn husks.............

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    gross..........

one does not smoke hemp............

its like smoking corn husks.............
    you know bud is scarce when you are smoking your shirt... short sleeves anyone?

Such misconceptions.

Industrial hemp used in food quality seed(hemp hearts) and fiber for apparel and rope most often has a THC content measured in tenths of 1 %(0.1-0.5 %). That's not 10 or 50 % but tenths of 1 %! You might as well hold your breathe than smoke a hemp shirt or rope to get "high." Compare that to strains grown for rec use at 20%+ THC.

Hemp fiber shirts compared to cotton are more durable but hemp shirts are stiffer/rougher/less soft than cotton when new. With washings hemp shirts I've had get softer and don't bleed or wash out die like cotton can. Hemp is anti microbrial, and has mold and mildew resistance having a much friendly eco footprint than cotton which is why I assume Outdoor Herbivore uses hemp in their seed(non hemp) sprouting bags. It's aptly nicknamed weed cause that's how easily and rapidly it grows. I've had two hemp/Tencel(made from wood fiber) loose fitting short sleeve button downs I likened to Linen shirts. My straight hemp tee shirts were quite durable which is why I sometimes work in them. I dont know about backpacking use though.

Images

Compare that to strains grown for rec use at 20%+ THC.

i prefer something over 85%..................seriously......

Let's not go that deep on the board.

Really dogwood? I was joking.

Wasn't responding to you Kestral. I knew you were joking. Was trying to keep it from going off the rails as this subject typically does.

Sigh.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hemp fiber shirts compared to cotton are more durable but hemp shirts are stiffer/rougher/less soft than cotton when new. With washings hemp shirts I've had get softer and don't bleed or wash out die like cotton can. Hemp is anti microbrial, and has mold and mildew resistance having a much friendly eco footprint than cotton which is why I assume Outdoor Herbivore uses hemp in their seed(non hemp) sprouting bags. It's aptly nicknamed weed cause that's how easily and rapidly it grows. I've had two hemp/Tencel(made from wood fiber) loose fitting short sleeve button downs I likened to Linen shirts. My straight hemp tee shirts were quite durable which is why I sometimes work in them. I dont know about backpacking use though.
    Hemp is more eco friendly because cotton is among the least eco friendly crop gown (unless it's organic). Cotton takes more water than any other crop and uses more chemicals than most. Hemp like flax is almost a weed (no pun intended) in it's growth habits - they suck up a lot of toxins from the ground, need much less water, and are easy to grow.

Hemp based manufactured products is the future. It's already being used in industrial apps in Europe like the auto industry for making side panels, seats, etc.

Hemp makes an economical and qualitative substitute for fiberglass.

In the natural fiber market so many uses for hemp we will see restrictions in the US eventually ease and tech advances explored not yet imagined.

So much interest on investment in med and rec cannabis use, rightly so, but I like the industrial apps of hemp.

Because of so much dissemination of misleading info the stigma of cannabis is incorrectly applied to hemp which is the reason for the above post.

Images

Dogwood: I always thought it was the cotton growers lobby that petitioned to get rid of hemp as it cut into their $$, but this article is even more intriguing http://www.wakingtimes.com/2012/06/2...ng-was-banned/

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Dogwood: I always thought it was the cotton growers lobby that petitioned to get rid of hemp as it cut into their $$, but this article is even more intriguing http://www.wakingtimes.com/2012/06/2...ng-was-banned/

Much of that article is taken from Jack Herer's book The Emperor Wears No Clothes. Mr Herer's pro cannabis position is no secret. A powerful high THC strain is named in honor of him.

I'm sure the cotton fiber industry and others with economic and other interests joined other powerful players in demonizing cannabis and hemp. And, absolutely it was a conspiracy with these players uniting under a common goal often surreptitiously, just as currently occurs, to influence education, legislation, economies,...

++ New Posts ++