WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking a Vehicle For Two Nights at Three Forks?

HI! New here, and hope this is the appropriate place for a question!

I just started what I think will be a multi-year section hike of the BMT, by knocking out the Approach Trail and Section 1. Considering doing Sections 2 - 4. I'll have someone to pick my up on the back-end of the hike and shuttle me back to my vehicle at Three Forks.

Just checking to see if it is OK to leave a vehicle at Three Forks...obvious rules of not leaving any valuables in the car, etc. - or is vandalism an issue there? When I walked there the other week it seemed remote but heavily trafficked.

TIA!

-James

Images

i would walk back to your vehicle and keep it out the woods or you can ask a shuttle driver to park at their house . i let people doing section hikes park at my house for free .

Images

i guess i should be more clear . i usually do not suggest walking to your car but in this case i would suggest it . 'there is a lot of traffic there and anything can happen . if you need some info call me i'm actually a shuttle driver here in ga and nc . 7723210905 7064009105 .. donald is my name thanks and have a safe hike my friend . peace

Ok! Thank you :-) Exactly why I asked. I'm still planning date et al for this one, but I'll give you a call once I do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeherv View Post
    Ok! Thank you :-) Exactly why I asked. I'm still planning date et al for this one, but I'll give you a call once I do.
    no problem my friend . if you need any info feel free to call and ask . the team is made of seasoned hikers and we can try and answer any questions you may have . we are very familiar with the area also so if you need some help with the area call us . if we cannot help we can try and direct you to someone that can . peace my friend ... donald " grateful " ballard ... thank you

I have parked at three forks many times over the years, maybe a total of 20 nights combined. Never had a problem. Many folks camp in that area during the bubble time, and other higher occupancy times, so it’s not as remote or maybe I should say deserted as it seems. My car is older and a bit beat up. Saw some range rovers and Mercedes unmolested. All this being said, I suppose there is a first time for everything. My safe little neighborhood has seen a few unlocked car break ins over last few years.

Im glad there are options for transportation and car boarding for those who choose that route. Curious, what is current charge for transportation to and then from 3 forks? Thanks

Just a shout out to Mary and Donald and company at the Further Shuttle. Great service, super accommodating. When I changed my plans to do another section of the BMT because I was making better time than planned they were super cool about adjusting. Made my hike more enjoyable knowing my car was safe with them/

++ New Posts ++