WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I beg to differ. The conventional wisdom is to change out your pack last, after you have finalized what you will carry. The reason is because your pack needs to efficiently handle the load you carry. The Circuit is aimed at a total load of under 30 lbs. If the hiker's base weight is 25 lbs, and that amt is firm, well, they may need heavier pack with a stronger frame (or different frame), because once you add food, water, and fuel - you are likely to exceed 30 lbs.

With respect, I'd reverse the priorities listed by Scarbmler35. Lighter kit, then minimize the weight of items you carry, and only THEN choose size of pack - and finally, weight/type of pack (taking into account frame needs).

JMO.
    Jeez!...30lbs is almost 14kg!...My base weight is no more than 7kg, and with food and water my backpack is still under 10kg...That is the difference going truely ultralight makes!
    You don't need a huge backpack with a frame, or a huge padded, or even articulated, waistbelt to be comfortable on the trail...You just need to reduce the weight and bulk of everything you carry!
    My latest purge in weight focused on my clothing and first aid kit.
    I was using North Face zip-off Cargo trousers (Pants) weighing 550g, but recently I managed to find a very similar pair of zip-off Cargo's in a Decathlon store that are 200g lighter!
    A typical Cotton T-Shirt can weigh around 150g, so I swapped to Rab Interval Tees', which only weigh 78g (2g lighter than a Patagonia Capilene 1).
    My George long sleeved "fleece" top, made of 47% Polyester, 45% Cotton and 4% Elastane, which I previously thought was lightweight, weighs 437g...It has now been replaced with a Rab Interval L/S 1/2 Zip top (basically an ultralight Polyester fleece), which only weighs 118g.
    So if I carry 5 Rab Interval Tee's, that's a total weight of 390g, vs 5 Cotton T-Shirts which weigh a total of 750g...A saving of 360g.
    Swapping the "lightweight" fleece top for the Rab Interval L/S Top has saved 319g.
    The new trousers (Pants) knocks off another 200g....Total saving 879g (1.94lbs).
    My first aid kit used to weigh 244g, which seemed too heavy to me so I replaced the small red 1st Aid zip pouch with a Z-packs zip top DCM soft case for Sunglasses which weighs 11g. Inside that I keep a pack of Washproof Assorted Plasters (waterproof band aids), a 3/4 size Polycarbonate mirror, a pack of Sterile Wound Dressing Wipes, a pack of Hydrocolloid Blister Plasters, a Sterile First Aid Dressing (Bandage), additional packs of waterproof plasters, two sets of ear plugs, a pack of 50 Sea to Summit Trek & Travel Pocket body-wash leaves, a Lifesystems Insect bite zapper, a pack of four compressed Towels, a pair of Micromare #285136 LED illuminated tweezers, and now I have replaced the British Army folding scissors and Poundland Penknife with a much lighter TrueUtility Nailclip multitool (nail clipper, nail file, knife, and a pair of scissors all in one)...altogether my 1st aid kit now weighs just 144g, 100g lighter than before!...Add that saving to the saving from switching to ultralight clothing and I have saved 979g, almost 1kg (2.2lbs)! The lighter clothing also packs down much smaller, so saving a lot of space in my backpack, which further reduces the need for a larger backpack.

Oh, and I saved 151g switching my 240g Gelert waterproof smock for a Berghaus Hyper Jacket weighing just 89g...

Do you carry 5 t-shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarmbler35 View Post
    It seems obvious that you are simply carrying to much weight (This is an ultralight hiking forum after all, so if you are carrying enough weight to hurt your back then you shouldn't really be on here!)...So how to lighten your load? First you should start with the backpack: Most backpacks are only "water resistant", not "waterproof"...A lightweight waterproof backpack of a given empty weight will actually work out lighter than a lightweight water resistant backpack of the same empty weight, because with the latter you have to cover it with a rain cover when it rains, which adds extra weight, and many don't trust the rain cover alone and also use dry bags inside as well, which adds even more weight. So to save weight, look for backpack that is guaranteed to be waterproof. Personally, I went for the Mountain Hardware Scrambler RT35 Outdry...Under 800g empty, 100% waterproof...You can even go swimming whilst wearing it and everything inside will stay perfectly dry!
    Backpack size: It is not essential to carry all your items inside your backpack...Most backpacks have "daisy chain" webbing provided on their back to allow the user to tie bulky items on the outside, saving space on the inside for smaller, easier to pack items. This can also enable you to downsize your backpack, which in turn can reduce the empty weight...You do not need carry a huge 50 plus litre backpack when a 35 litre backpack, with some items stored externally, would suffice.
    Items you carry: Needless to say, the less items you carry, the lighter your backpack will be, so sit down and think really hard at what items are actually essential for your hike and what can be left at home.
    Swap for lighter kit: Simply replacing heavier items you normally carry with lighter equivalents that do the same job, can save a lot of weight and can often save a lot of space in your backpack too. For instance, replace your sleeping bag with an ultralight Down filled version, and you can save hundreds of grams and they can be packed down really small in an ultralight compression sack. Of course replacing all or most of your kit can be expensive to do, but what is more important?...Much more comfort and having no back pain, or a lighter wallet? You will have to decide that one.
    First off, this is NOT an ultra-light hiking forum and EVERYONE is welcome here. Ask Tipi Walter...he carries a heck of a lot more than anyone would ever consider UL or LW

Second, most backpackers who carry a water-resistant pack (which is everyone NOT carrying a DCF pack) lines their packs with a trash compactor bag vs carrying a pack cover. And unless you are hiking in a rainforest a waterproof backpack is overkill.

Thirdly, why carry crap outside the pack where it off-sets the center of gravity. A few more ozs to carry a properly-sized backpack for all your gear will carry better than something where half of the gear is hanging outside of the pack. And 50l is actually a fairly moderately-sized pack.

Fourth, the OP said he needed better load transfer to his hips...which I understand. That doesn't automatically equate to back pain just because it is a "back problem". I am a very slender 5'5" and 110#...I need the weight of my pack on my hips and not my shoulders. I struggled with the ULA line of packs because of where they put pressure above my Iliac Crest...they just didn't transfer the weight well-enough for me, or in the right way.

Fifth, a lighter wallet doesn't necessarily = more comfort.

No offense but you don't seem to have a whole lot of empathetic experience here

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    First off, this is NOT an ultra-light hiking forum
    Oh yes it is! This is the "Ultra Light Hikers Forum"! So unless you are a genuine Ultralight hiker you would better off addressing your concerns on one of the other forums, for those that prefer to carry heavy gear.

Second, most backpackers who carry a water-resistant pack (which is everyone NOT carrying a DCF pack)
    This is wrong too...All of Mountain Hardware's "Outdry" range are 100% waterproof and they are not made of DCM!

And unless you are hiking in a rainforest a waterproof backpack is overkill.
    Not at all...It saves you having to carry the extra weight and bulk of a waterproof backpack cover and/or the untidy mess of using bin/trash bags. It can also double as a flotation device, which can help you cross water that is too deep to wade through.

Thirdly, why carry crap outside the pack where it off-sets the center of gravity. A few more ozs to carry a properly-sized backpack for all your gear will carry better than something where half of the gear is hanging outside of the pack.
    The centre of gravity of my pack is spot on...I made my own custom webbing straps which securely strap my Marmot tent pole bag vertically on one rear corner of my backpack and my Helinox Chair Zero, in a home made ultralight carry pouch, is strapped securely vertically on the other corner...Perfect balance! This also keeps the large expandable rear centre pocket, and the two expandable side pockets accessible at all times. The two home-made horizontal webbing straps fix onto my backpack via the concealed vertical daisy chain webbing on each rear corner of my backpack, and only add a few grams.

And 50l is actually a fairly moderately-sized pack.
    Not for an Ultralight hiker...35l is perfect.

Fourth, the OP said he needed better load transfer to his hips...which I understand. That doesn't automatically equate to back pain just because it is a "back problem". I am a very slender 5'5" and 110#...I need the weight of my pack on my hips and not my shoulders. I struggled with the ULA line of packs because of where they put pressure above my Iliac Crest...they just didn't transfer the weight well-enough for me, or in the right way.
    Only because he is carry far too much weight!

Fifth, a lighter wallet doesn't necessarily = more comfort.
    It does if you want to go truely ultralight!...I spent £320 ($410) on a Marmot Phase 30 to save me 200g (6.8oz) over my previous sleeping bag, which was £120 ($153). I spent £70 ($89) on a Berghaus Hyper jacket (in a sale...It was originally £120 ($153)) because it was 151g (5.1oz) lighter than my previous waterproof jacket which was only £25 ($32). I have spent £120 ($153) on three Rab Interval Tee shirts because they save me 216g (7.3oz) over carrying three Cotton Tee shirts, which all cost less than £10 ($13) each, etc, etc...Saving weight costs money, and the lighter you go, the more it costs!!

No offense but you don't seem to have a whole lot of empathetic experience here
    No offense, but you don't seem to be a genuine Ultralight hiker...

Oh yes it is! This is the "Ultra Light Hikers Forum"! So unless you are a genuine Ultralight hiker you would better off addressing your concerns on one of the other forums, for those that prefer to carry heavy gear.

This is wrong too...All of Mountain Hardware's "Outdry" range are 100% waterproof and they are not made of DCM!

Not at all...It saves you having to carry the extra weight and bulk of a waterproof backpack cover and/or the untidy mess of using bin/trash bags. It can also double as a flotation device, which can help you cross water that is too deep to wade through.

The centre of gravity of my pack is spot on...I made my own custom webbing straps which securely strap my Marmot tent pole bag vertically on one rear corner of my backpack and my Helinox Chair Zero, in a home made ultralight carry pouch, is strapped securely vertically on the other corner...Perfect balance! This also keeps the large expandable rear centre pocket, and the two expandable side pockets accessible at all times. The two home-made horizontal webbing straps fix onto my backpack via the concealed vertical daisy chain webbing on each rear corner of my backpack, and only add a few grams.

Not for an Ultralight hiker...35l is perfect.

Only because he is carry far too much weight!

It does if you want to go truely ultralight!...I spent £320 ($410) on a Marmot Phase 30 to save me 200g (6.8oz) over my previous sleeping bag, which was £120 ($153). I spent £70 ($89) on a Berghaus Hyper jacket (in a sale...It was originally £120 ($153)) because it was 151g (5.1oz) lighter than my previous waterproof jacket which was only £25 ($32). I have spent £120 ($153) on three Rab Interval Tee shirts because they save me 216g (7.3oz) over carrying three Cotton Tee shirts, which all cost less than £10 ($13) each, etc, etc...Saving weight costs money, and the lighter you go, the more it costs!!

No offense, but you don't seem to be a genuine Ultralight hiker...
    Well we will have to agree to disagree.

Journal Entries

Jeez!...30lbs is almost 14kg!...My base weight is no more than 7kg, and with food and water my backpack is still under 10kg...That is the difference going truely ultralight makes!
    Thats not UL, not even close

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-12-2018 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Well, that depends on your definition of ultralight of course. Sure, I could cave man and leave everything at home, except maybe for a 2m x 1m tarp and lighter, and just make basic woodland shelter every night, substituting the usual insulation of dead leaves with bundles of long grass if needed and filtering my drinking water from a stream through tight bundleof Sphagnum Moss, held in a rudimentary basket woven from willow twigs...But you know, sometimes it's nice to have the luxuries of 21st camping equipment with you, even if they add a little weight!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler35 View Post
    Well, that depends on your definition of ultralight of course. Sure, I could cave man and leave everything at home, except maybe for a 2m x 1m tarp and lighter, and just make basic woodland shelter every night, substituting the usual insulation of dead leaves with bundles of long grass if needed and filtering my drinking water from a stream through tight bundleof Sphagnum Moss, held in a rudimentary basket woven from willow twigs...But you know, sometimes it's nice to have the luxuries of 21st camping equipment with you, even if they add a little weight!
    Well, perhaps MW was referring to the generally held convention, at least on this side of the pond, of "UL" meaning a base weight of less than 10 lbs (or about 4.5 KG, maybe this loose definition is evan less now). Furthermore, one can be less than 10lb base and be completely well equipped, all the comforts, warm bag, nice pad, full bug-screen tent, full suspension and mostly waterproof pack, water filter and a stove. With today's gear, that's not difficult at all. Just kind of expensive!

Is this forum for only ultralight hiking? oops! I think I joined the wrong site.

The site, WhiteBlaze, has a forum for everyone. Lots of them.
    You posted in an ultralight forum.
    You’re cool.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by indigo1 View Post
    Is this forum for only ultralight hiking? oops! I think I joined the wrong site.
    And, if you don't believe Venchka check out this thread!

Then follow other posts by Tipi for a consistently appreciated and different perspective.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by indigo1 View Post
    I think it's not uncommon that people reply to posts found under "Today's Posts" without noticing which SUBforum the posts were from. I did that once and the "whoosh" sound was me missing the fact that I made a serious reply to a post that had come from the "humor" subforum.

Anyway, it's easy to miss if you catch up on current threads using "today's posts" instead of going to all the subforums in a seriatim manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I think it's not uncommon that people reply to posts found under "Today's Posts" without noticing which SUBforum the posts were from. I did that once and the "whoosh" sound was me missing the fact that I made a serious reply to a post that had come from the "humor" subforum.

Anyway, it's easy to miss if you catch up on current threads using "today's posts" instead of going to all the subforums in a seriatim manner.
    That's exactly how I do it except always do through "New Posts"...it is easy to miss which sub-forum something is in

Yes, this is what they won't tell you about most ultralight packs. You can't carry much weight. There may be exceptions, but the three or four I've used were murder at over about 25 lbs. The hipbelts and suspension systems just weren't made for it. It's supposed to be ultralight, right!

What size ULA Circuit are you using?

OP posted in March and has not checked back. I guess he figured it out lol

Or, living in Myrtle Beach, maybe he has other concerns right about now?

While 30# seems like a lot for the UL hiker (particularly on the AT), I have done several trips in Alaska where I had an UL base weight and then added a Bearikade Expedition and 14 days worth of food and fuel so I had load approaching 40lbs. I used a Seek Outside pack, and can't recommend them enough if you carry over 30# or want the best in load transfer. IMO after you get down to 25#, which is more like a weeks' trip for me (I just did 6 days on the Wind River High Route with an UrSack and had 24lb total weight), the SO packs are overkill and there may be better choices out there, but for heavy loads, they are amazing packs.

- I've worn a number of different packs over the past 38 years, from external frame to internal; if you truly want to transfer weight to your hips, external (hence, my Zpacks Arc Haul Zip) is generally the best design, otherwise, a pack spreads the weight out fairly even over your body........now, you can pack an internal so that it rides on your hips more by putting the heaviest items in the bottom which I have done - I've packed my packs with different weight distributions over the years to test comfort but have found I love my Zpack best because of its external CF frame........

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    PR MAN asks a question on March 3. Provides insufficient information for meaningful answers. Then disappears.
    A Zombie thread in the making.
    Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    OP posted in March and has not checked back. I guess he figured it out lol

Or, living in Myrtle Beach, maybe he has other concerns right about now?
    Ditto & Ditto.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++