WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Maybe I’m too old and don’t get worked up enough.
    1. All skin surface covered.
    2. Xtherm.
    3. WM Alpinlite Long.
    4. No shelter.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    😄👍😎
    Wayne

Now thats interesting. So are you saying that by doing this that it basically shocks you body into reacting to the cold and thus making it more resilient so it adapts to the cold?
    Not sure the exact number of days but it seems I recall someone telling me it takes the human body say 10 days of dealing with both hot or cold conditions before it adapts and prepares you for dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    Now thats interesting. So are you saying that by doing this that it basically shocks you body into reacting to the cold and thus making it more resilient so it adapts to the cold?
    Not sure the exact number of days but it seems I recall someone telling me it takes the human body say 10 days of dealing with both hot or cold conditions before it adapts and prepares you for dealing with it.
    Having spent several years commuting between New Orleans, West Africa and Kazakhstan with layovers in Northern Europe I can assure you that we all have an internal thermostat. My conversion period seemed to be a week or less. Needless to say that 24-36 hours in Belgium or Switzerland in the winter going to/from Africa was uncomfortable. To/from Kazakhstan in the summers was worse. 100+ to 50-60 in Europe to Awful in New Orleans and back in 3 weeks was never any fun.
    Folks who only backpack on the weekend never know if their sleep system is adequate or not.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Current WhiteBlaze thinking says that a CCF foam pad between the bag and Trekker adds noticeably to your warmth.
    We’ll have to wait for an opion on the flimsy mylar space blankets.
    After 2 continuous months and 4-5 months total, the Xtherm Large (mummy tapered) is very comfortable. I personally would not need the rectangular Max.
    All the best to you!
    Wayne
    The rectangular Max was the *only* max at the time I bought it, or at least that's what I believe. I never knew about the mummy style Xtherm until this discussion.

This has prompted me to reconsider the Trekker purchase and perhaps return it to REI and get the mummy Xtherm instead. I was very, very happy with the weight & volume savings, but since 95% of my hiking is during the shoulder seasons -- and that on the AT at least, probably at some higher elevations -- I should just surrender to the reality that those are ounces that I need/want.

The quest to keep lightening the load continues....
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Having spent several years commuting between New Orleans, West Africa and Kazakhstan with layovers in Northern Europe I can assure you that we all have an internal thermostat. My conversion period seemed to be a week or less. Needless to say that 24-36 hours in Belgium or Switzerland in the winter going to/from Africa was uncomfortable. To/from Kazakhstan in the summers was worse. 100+ to 50-60 in Europe to Awful in New Orleans and back in 3 weeks was never any fun.
    Folks who only backpack on the weekend never know if their sleep system is adequate or not.
    Wayne
    Some people have broken, internal thermostats.

If weekenders “never know if their sleep system is adequate”, what’s the point in trying out gear in the backyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post

If weekenders “never know if their sleep system is adequate”, what’s the point in trying out gear in the backyard?
    If you only spend 1 or 2 nights at a time outdoors you never give your body time to adjust to the lower temperatures.
    I managed several consecutive nights during a few cold spells this winter. The jackpot was the coldest temperatures we’ve ever experienced at our house in East Texas. 16-6-11. Almost like being in the mountains.
    If you live on the Gulf Coast and contemplate an early start the best thing you could do is spend the week before your start somewhere in the mountains above 5,000’.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    If this question was directed at me, he sort of explained as by doing this, it becomes a mental thing in that you remember just how cold you were then and nothing will compare to that feeling. Iy's kind of like getting shot or stabbed, you definitely remember that feeling and that pain.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I use to be unable to get warm enough in the cold weather no matter what I did. Then I met an old guy everyone called Red. He was an avid outdoors man who was a hiker, hunter, fishing expert etc. I told him my problem and the solution he gave me sounded like a crazy man talking. He said to go into the woods where no one else can see you on a cold winter day. Strip down to your birthday suit and sit down on the ground or a stump until you are shivering and your teeth are rattling. Then get dressed and walk out of the woods as your body warms up. Like I said sounded crazy, but so did his advice to use peanut butter balls to fish with, which I know works. Well let's just say I tried it and it works. Now I stay warm all winter long with very little insulated clothing or having to buy two different sets of quilts to carry. I use silk long underwear and clean socks to keep my quilts clean. Every now and then I throw on a knit beanie.
    ever research to find out what the theory is behind this? Sounds like some sort of reboot of the internal thermometer

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    ever research to find out what the theory is behind this? Sounds like some sort of reboot of the internal thermometer
    guess i should have read further before my reply....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    No I haven't, because to me if something works for me, I am quite content to just go with the flow. Again your mileage may vary.
    Blackheart

Don't know if this applies, but I know it is true from personal experience. If you have to pee during the night and try to hold it, you will pay for it with a colder sleep. I always bite the bullet and empty my bladder; then I'm able to go right back to sleeping comfortably warm.

Its summoning the will power to emerge from the twilight sleep and expose oneself to the chilly air to empty the bladder that can be a real challenge. Of course if you don't you will never really get back to sleep.

Yes -- and I happily utilize a rather un-ladylike technique that keeps me from having to get out of the tent!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

QUOTE=TwoSpirits;2198298]...I've been home bound since the end of October...[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Tired, yes. Horribly out of shape and recovering from a long recovery from the flu...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    ... already "west"...at least in Indiana. I'm originally from Minnesota,...

"Any wise words? Do I just need to get over myself and get out more? Or learn how to stay warmer?"

Feeling/being cold is not all in your head - having to "get over yourself!" There are classical medical textbook physiological root causes for why you are feeling/being cold. State of depletion, circulation issues, compromised immunology, possible glandular issues, maybe(likely) eating disorders/issues, maybe anemia, maybe Raynaud's Syndrome, etc. And that's not even touching upon mental comfort zones in regard to feeling/being cold.

No one here needs to tell you again what you already know to do physiologically. The feeling of being cold shouldnt all be blamed on age or being a female. It shoudn't all be blamed on gear or usage of gear as well.

While you're on that path of addressing greater possible causal physiological contributions to your issue you can ease the transition by/with: "a nice hot meal, and a couple of cups of green tea"(a temporary fix!), adjusting your sleep system temporarily to sleep warmer, examine the role meds use can play into feeling cold(which you're likely taking), limiting or eliminating alcohol and nicotine use(they affect circulation - blood vessel dialation), raising the quality of immunology, giving greater heed to extremity warmth, giving greater heed to staying hydrated AND not allowing to become electrolyte depleted.

Long list but they are options to start examining that address root causes not just possibly a symptom or condition. We can ignore the consequences of personal behavior but that doesnt make the causes of a medical condition typically go away. I strongly suggest you don't take advice from anyone that only offers ways of management of your issue without including advice on how to alleviate, possibly for good - healing, of the causes and condition.

In short, behavioral - lifestyle changes - looking internally rather than externally for causes and long term resolution rather than seeking magic pills or gear as "the" solution should be prioritized. Want to be warmer address your health. Want a healthier Two Spirits make better decisions, change your behavior, and how you think.

I've had feeling cold issues but this hasn't stopped me from balancing this out with warming approaches that allow enjoyable cold weather hiking. If I can do it you can find a path for you too.

My cold issues stem from decreased circulation with root causes in: 1) very low blood pressure because a quite unbalanced enlarged heart and a mechanical valve 2) frost nip in extremities when younger.

I can't elimitate the root causes but I can increase circulation by staying athletically fit(I like jumping on a trampoline for a lower impact and walking more rather than driving when first starting a fitness plan), staying hydrated which is easier for me on trail since drink of choice is clean naturally occurring delish H2O rather than coffee which competes for my drink of choice off trail, not allowing electrolyte depletion, staying away from alcohol and nicotine, limiting cholesterol intake/not having cholestetol issues, limiting saturated fats, focusing on omega 3 fatty acids, getting massages, supplementing with a full spectrum ginseng, ginko biloba, nattokinease, and resveratrol, and regularly incorporating green tea, ginger, peppers especially cayenne, garlic, fresh parsley and cilantro, lots of fresh greens, and turmeric into the diet.

These measures are not temporary. They were incorporated gradually as lifestyle habits. They require changing behaviors, making more empowering decisions, research and applying what was learned. I'm still not where I always want to be, need to be, reducing coffee consumption and increasing clean H2O off trail. Also would prefer receiving weekly or bi weekly deep tissue massage rather than 1x per month. Alternatively, I use an exfoliating massaging durable hand towel bought at Target when showering.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post

The trick for me is to try to get outside daily, or at least 3-4 times a week for about 1-2 hours in the cold, either hiking briskly or trail running. This helps to "re-set my thermostat" for winter and, when combined with the occasional 1- to 3-night trip, I find that 20°F doesn't feel all that cold and 32°F feels practically balmy.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The trick for me is to try to get outside daily, or at least 3-4 times a week for about 1-2 hours in the cold, either hiking briskly or trail running. This helps to "re-set my thermostat" for winter and, when combined with the occasional 1- to 3-night trip, I find that 20°F doesn't feel all that cold and 32°F feels practically balmy.
    There it is.
    Wayne

I reset my thermostat for winter in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I reset my thermostat for winter in Hawaii.
    OK now that's cheating.
    What happens, in fact, is that if I maintain the 3-4 times per week @1-2 hours on a year-'round basis, I naturally adapt as the seasons change so there is never a big shock. Just sort of "roll into" each season. The only weather I really dislike is hot-humid but I deal with that better than most, having been born/raised in FL.

I'm doing it at elev on the Big I near 14k ft and Maui near 10k ft at sub freezing temps or near it. It snows in both places. It is also entails exposure with wind chills making it colder. It's all part of reconditioning to a colder environment as well as vast temp swings.

I start taking cold showers too. If I'm on the mainland I turn off or turn the heat way down in the house. AC goes off if I'm in HI. Sleep outside more. It's all part of mental conditioning too.

Use whats available. You don't need to go on hikes necessarily to train for hiking either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++