WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zpacks waiting game

Ordered an Arc Haul Zip on 2/23--two weeks ago--and hiking next on 3/17 (a week from tomorrow). Still "pending fulfillment." Have emailed Zpacks but cannot say when the pack will be shipping. Concerned I won't have it in time with 5 days' shipping. Anyone have a similar experience? What did you do? I really thought 22 days lead time would be enough.

I don't recall the exact time frame last November but I am pretty sure it took them a week to make my pack and tent. And then a week for shipping. This is also probably a pretty busy time of the year and I know for sure that one of their employees is off tramping around on the BMT so who knows. One of the perks on their end of not having a phone number, which turns into a con to the consumer. How long ago did you email them? I got a reply same day when I had ordering questions
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I know for sure that one of their employees is off tramping around on the BMT so who knows.
    Redbeard?
    If he is the one you speak of, I doubt his absence makes any difference on turnaround.
    Does he even sew?
    I ordered a custom pack and tent from them separately in 2016 and turnaround was much less than 22 days.
    Did you let them know of your dates?

Yes, I emailed them earlier in the week and again today, with subject line 'urgent,' as they suggest to get a quicker answer. So far crickets...

That's strange. I've always received very prompt responses from zPacks...

Ordered a backpack along with several other items on 2/19 from Zpacks. Has been shipped and FedEx says I will get it tomorrow on 3/10.
    So just shy of 3 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    Ordered an Arc Haul Zip on 2/23--two weeks ago--and hiking next on 3/17 (a week from tomorrow). Still "pending fulfillment." Have emailed Zpacks but cannot say when the pack will be shipping. Concerned I won't have it in time with 5 days' shipping. Anyone have a similar experience? What did you do? I really thought 22 days lead time would be enough.
    It says directly on Zpacks website that the lead time on backpacks is about two weeks. Its been exactly two weeks since you sent in an order. So two weeks give or take a few days to process your order and make your pack. Then it will ship and you'll receive it in a few days relative to your location from Florida.

Zpacks has always done things right on their end for most of us.

Yes, every now and then they go hiking too. But they typically state that it it will affect lead time times.

They are always behind on emails. Be paitent, I'm sure it's an extremely busy time of year for them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Leonidas

Will doesn't work in the West Melbourne location at all. He works from home. That said, he has no effect on turn around times on items. I believe he focuses mainly on their online presence/media/etc.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I hope you get it in time, but this is another reminder that if you really, really need something from a cottage vendor by a certain date it is best to check the current delivery times and add a couple of weeks to it, and even more time if it's one of those loooong projected dates. You're lucky, because when I got my first Arc Blast the back-up was 6 weeks, and when I got my Duplex it was 10 weeks! Recently I had to wait 6 weeks for my Darien hammock from Dream Hammocks... no problem because I really don't need it until spring, and having it way ahead of time greatly reduces angst.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-09-2018 at 14:50.

I ordered a Arc Haul and a Duplex from Z packs in the Fall.....It took them around 3 weeks...I was planning on 5 or 6 so I was surprised to get it so fast considering it is a small operation...
    You left yourself just over 3 weeks to get the pack...That is cutting it close....

Now as far as the communication with them.... can't explain that but it is a small operation and anything could happen...

I factored in the two weeks, plus 5 days for shipping. My concern is that if it doesn't ship today and they're closed on weekends it's unlikely I'll get the pack in time. I usually buy from cottage vendors--Warbonnet and ULA as two examples, and have never had this issue before. I've also bought from Zpacks, but largely accessories. My bank account was debited right away, though, so no waiting time on that.

OK, but in my experience that's cutting it very close. Especially this time of the year when weather delays for shipping are common.

Also, I like to get product in hand in plenty of time to tweak and adjust and maybe even do a shake-down day hike or overnighter to get familiar with things. When I got my Arc Haul I discovered very quickly that the bottom crossbar and my lumbar region did not get along well at all... I encountered significant back pain even with a very light load. I put in the supplemental lumbar pad and all was well. However I had to order the lumbar pad and it took time to resolve that situation — I sure as heck would not have enjoyed dealing with it right at the start of a multi-day backpacking trip!

https://www.google.com/search?q=will...obile&ie=UTF-8

Maybe you will get it in 22 days.

Fastfoxengineering is right. Lead times of about 2 wk's is posted by ZPacks at top of Backpacks index page.

Cmoulder is right too. That's cutting it close especially at this time of the yr. CM is also right about pointing out the need to tweak, play with, and look over pieces of gear pre hike especially such a critical key piece of gear that isn't being mass produced.

You cut it close.

Can you or is it worth it to contact ZP changing shipping to a faster option?

Images

OK, but in my experience that's cutting it very close. Especially this time of the year when weather delays for shipping are common.

agreed.......

cutting it close...........

and this time of the year is probably the busiest time of year for the hiking community......

I needed to replace a broken tent stay (flex option for the duplex) and I leave for the trail in 3 weeks. When I contacted them by email their first response came same day, and asked me to send the broken part back and they'd have a repaired/replaced part to me within a couple of weeks at no charge. I then noticed that if you have a time issue, they ask that you that you say "urgent" in the subject line. I did so with my response to their email and explained I'd be leaving for my hike in 3 weeks. I got my replacement parts within 4 days.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Yep, saw the two week build time at the top of the web page. Yep, know it’s a busy time of year. Doesn’t seem to affect other cottage gear manufacturers as much. Not a newbie. Know I’m cutting it close. And a snarky Willie Wonka video not really called for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, saw the two week build time at the top of the web page. Yep, know it’s a busy time of year. Doesn’t seem to affect other cottage gear manufacturers as much. Not a newbie. Know I’m cutting it close. And a snarky Willie Wonka video not really called for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It says about two weeks. Not two weeks.

So if they take 2.5 weeks I would say that's reasonable.

And other cottage manufacturers are definitely affected. Yama has a month lead time and MLD is 8-12 weeks.

You keep saying your having issues with Zpacks. That is just not true, sorry. I know you want your gear. But....

You should have contacted them before ensuring you would get your gear in time. If you gave them a date and they couldn't make it, they wouldn't have accepted your money.

You know you rolled the dice with time, and it's not working out. So.. your taking it out on Zpacks for losing your own gamble rather than accepting things aren't going in your favor.

Your insinuating Zpacks is at fault. And none of us agree.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If this isn't your first rodeo with UL non mass produced cottage manufactured gear I assume you know ZPacks is probably the hottest if not very near the top right nowin popularity and you're catching them at one of if not the busiest times of the yr.

Vid wasn't meant as a put down but to inject some levitity which is what I thought you could use.

I know it's hard awaiting expected needed new gear for a quickly approaching adventure. I've been there myself.

ZP is very good at delivering on their promises. I'd expect your new pack to arrive for your Mar 17 hike. Again, youight consider a faster shipping option. I wouldn't be surprised very soon hearing from ZP telling you your pack has been shipped out with expected arrival time.

Two week lead time is nothing compared to when they were doing custom work and had 6+ week delivery times. The shorter build times are likely due to the fact that they no longer do custom work - so it is a mixed bag. They've always come through as promised, a couple of times even beat a delivery window when I had a hike coming up, and they once exchanged a sleeping bag well after the timeframe where I expected them to. zPacks and ULA are both first class operations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++