WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

As to OP, I will assume you are upgrading your pack, and therefore have your older pack to use. So if your new gear comes before your next trip then great! But if your pack is delayed, hey you’re still out hiking, and you will appreciate your new gear even more when it does come. You have an enviable problem!

that said, hope your new gear comes in tomorrow. Where are you hiking? If you are starting a thru hike, perhaps you can get the pack shipped in to one of the hostels, hold for thruhiker.

and, a good reminder to us all to build in adequate lead time.

Enjoy your journey :*)

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    Ordered an Arc Haul Zip on 2/23--two weeks ago--and hiking next on 3/17 (a week from tomorrow). Still "pending fulfillment." Have emailed Zpacks but cannot say when the pack will be shipping. Concerned I won't have it in time with 5 days' shipping. Anyone have a similar experience? What did you do? I really thought 22 days lead time would be enough.
    Hope you get pack soon. You will love it. Have fun hiking.

It doesn't matter what time of year or how busy a company is....unless there are extraordinary circumstances out of their control, they should deliver as advertised or represented at the time of the transaction. It's a contract and about reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    It doesn't matter what time of year or how busy a company is....unless there are extraordinary circumstances out of their control, they should deliver as advertised or represented at the time of the transaction. It's a contract and about reputation.
    Some of you people keep insinuating that Zpacks is somehow at fault here, and, even so, there are still a few days on the calendar for fulfillment.

The term "Piss Poor Planning" is totally appropriate in this instance. Take this as a lesson to plan ahead better next time by leaving a generous buffer for the unexpected. Very few things in life happen without a single hitch somewhere along the line.

Attachment 42171

They said “about two weeks” which is not a contractual commitment but an estimate of time it would ship. Knowing cottage companies I would take it to mean 2 weeks best case, less than 3 weeks likely, 4 weeks possible. Heading out on AT I definetely would have built in time to be able test, adjust, and even return if something didnt work out. At one point they were 6 weeks lead time but now have it to 2-3 days when its less busy.

Images

My ZPacks experince has been fantastic! I have purchased an arc haul as well as numerous other dry bags, etc.. Matt at ZPacks is extremely helpful and I even went to their shop to try on some backpacks before my purchase. I hope you get your gear in time but my gut tells me that ZPacks is fulfilling their orders as fast as possible. I also recall being told a 2 week delivery time was the best case scenario. I recieved my pack in about 6 days but I ordered it back in the Fall because I knew there would be a rush come spring time.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    My bank account was debited right away, though, so no waiting time on that.
    Processing a payment that far ahead really unusual and actually pretty sleazy. It's not uncommon to put small (usually $1) pending charge on a credit card or a reserve on a debit card, but charging the full amount weeks before shipping is sketchy. I know they are a small business (to my mind they are now too big to be considered "cottage") but I can't imagine they need prepayment to cover material costs. If so, they are severely undercapitalized.

In addition to the lesson of adding extra lead times for small manufacturers, I'd add that using a credit card rather than a debit card has its advantages in pretty much every type of transaction. If you run into a problem with a vendor you can dispute it with the credit card issuer and they will issue a chargeback and will fight the battle for you. You won't be billed for a disputed charge - which is a lot easier than recovering your cash. American Express is particularly good with customer service and has a number of no-fee cards.

How, exactly, was payment made?

If it was PayPal and your PP account is linked to a debit card or credit card, then yes, of course, it was debited right away.

Maybe find out more details before unloading with nasty pejoratives?

I was a bit sympathetic with the OP's plight earlier in this thread. But the more we find out the more it becomes clear that this is a completely self-inflicted 'charlie foxtrot'.

And I fully expect this to be followed by endless bellyaching and carping about how the pack doesn't fit right and how the pockets are not right, yada-yada-yada ad infinitum.

Seriously thinking about adding somebody to the 'ignore' list.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Some of you people keep insinuating that Zpacks is somehow at fault here, and, even so, there are still a few days on the calendar for fulfillment.

The term "Piss Poor Planning" is totally appropriate in this instance. Take this as a lesson to plan ahead better next time by leaving a generous buffer for the unexpected. Very few things in life happen without a single hitch somewhere along the line.

Attachment 42171
    You assume too much and put spin on my comment. My comment was about businesses providing an accurate delivery time upfront, dependent upon their business situation at the time of the order. Too many businesses accept orders representing a delivery lead time they already know isn't possible. I'm not placing fault on anyone but rather making a general comment in context to the underlying subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    They said “about two weeks” which is not a contractual commitment but an estimate of time it would ship. Knowing cottage companies I would take it to mean 2 weeks best case, less than 3 weeks likely, 4 weeks possible. Heading out on AT I definetely would have built in time to be able test, adjust, and even return if something didnt work out. At one point they were 6 weeks lead time but now have it to 2-3 days when its less busy.
    About 2 weeks is a contractual representation and if I were their customer, anytime within 3 weeks would be acceptable to me under those terms. More than 3 weeks (such as double their about time frame) is outside of what most people would (should) accept as "about". Nothing wrong with a 6 week lead time if the customer placing the order is told that at order placement time. This is the whole point of my original post.

You assume too much and put spin on my comment. My comment was about businesses providing an accurate delivery time upfront, dependent upon their business situation at the time of the order. Too many businesses accept orders representing a delivery lead time they already know isn't possible. I'm not placing fault on anyone but rather making a general comment in context to the underlying subject.
    Well of course a business should do its best to provide a reasonably accurate delivery window, but when you made the comment you made in the context of a discussion about a specific transaction with Zpacks, how are we to infer it wasn't about Zpacks?

Yes, there are some operations (Luke, Ook, Backcountry Boiler and the like) to which your comment would apply. But I have now done many business transactions with all manner of cottage (and not so cottage) backpacking and hammock vendors and have had exactly ONE bad experience (Backcountry Boiler, years ago), and I think the vast majority of purchasers would likely report similar results with all these reputable vendors.

This is truly a pointless whinefest.

Usually online retailers charge the card upon shipment but I've always seen made to order vendors charge upon the initial order, not shipment. Although zPacks doesn't do custom work anymore, they build to order so they charge when you order the product, at least that's how I read it. I suspect the same is true of you order a few suits from one of the Asian vendors who specialize in build to order suits. In any case, I'm never out of pocket until the gear arrives since lead times are generally less than the payment window on my credit card. It's really a non issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Usually online retailers charge the card upon shipment but I've always seen made to order vendors charge upon the initial order, not shipment. Although zPacks doesn't do custom work anymore, they build to order so they charge when you order the product, at least that's how I read it. I suspect the same is true of you order a few suits from one of the Asian vendors who specialize in build to order suits. In any case, I'm never out of pocket until the gear arrives since lead times are generally less than the payment window on my credit card. It's really a non issue to me.
    That saved me from writing it. Nothing "really unusual", sleazy, or sketchy about it. It's common practice.

Pending credit charges or reserve holds can affect available lines of credit.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    OK, but in my experience that's cutting it very close. Especially this time of the year when weather delays for shipping are common.
    ^^^THIS^^^

I've ordered from MLD, Yama, Zpacks and EE.........always MONTHS before the item was needed. There is no way that I'd order so close to the date I need something......especially during the busy season.

After deciding on a destination, ordering needed gear is the second item on the planning list.

OP is asking on another thread how to adjust the pack, so one would assume he got his stuff (in time). In a perfect world he/she would have updated this thread with the good news.

Let’s see, he ordered on 2/23 with shipping in about 2 weeks with 5 days shipping. 2 weeks would be 3/9 and he’s trying it now on 3/13 so it appears that he may have even got it earlier than the estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Let’s see, he ordered on 2/23 with shipping in about 2 weeks with 5 days shipping. 2 weeks would be 3/9 and he’s trying it now on 3/13 so it appears that he may have even got it earlier than the estimate.
    I think the OP is a she

Pack arrived last night. Zpacks came through and I'll hopefully have enough time to adjust and practice packing it.

Yes, sorry. I'm not on here every day. Busy with work.

After all that it arrived. It was expected. I can understand your impatience. You showed a lot though coming back to the thread with those last two posts. Have a great hike and enjoy your new gear Quiet Storm.

I really was trying to loosen you up by posting the Wonka vid. Consider watching it again and laugh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++