WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Shipping backpack USPS

Last year, I shipped my backpack UPS from my home in Florida to Angel's Rest Hiker Haven in Pearisburg; no problems. This year, because of lack of options, I have to mail it USPS to Pawling, NY. I'm a little leary of checking it thru on Delta Airlines, even though last year I had no problems checking it thru on Alligient Airlines from Newburgh, NY back home to Florida. I just can't take the chance of the airlines pulling anything out of the backpack.
    I've heard horror stories about shipping backpacks via USPS. Anyone with advice on this would be appreciated.
    I do have 2 other options of sending it other than USPS.... (UPS or Fed Ex): The Native Garden Center on NY-22, and the Dutchess Motel in Wingdale.
    Any advice or past experiences shipping backpacks would be appreciated!

How big is your pack? My pack is small enough that I can fit it on carry on no problem. I mail the no no items via usps to my shuttle driver that picks me up from the airport and load those things once at the trail head. There is no way I would mail my stuff and trust the postal service with it. Not with the shape I receive packages in to my home. If you can not fit it in carry on, Then put it in a big duffel bag you are comfortable throwing away at the end of the trip, or if you can, mail it to your end of trip shuttle driver so that you will have it for the flight home.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Gambit,
    I won't have a shuttle driver. I'm flying to JFK, shuttle to Grand Central Station, then train to Pawling or Wingdale. I checked thru my backpack last year with Allegiant Airlines...no problems.
    Also, what do you consider to be "no-no" items?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    Gambit,
    I won't have a shuttle driver. I'm flying to JFK, shuttle to Grand Central Station, then train to Pawling or Wingdale. I checked thru my backpack last year with Allegiant Airlines...no problems.
    Also, what do you consider to be "no-no" items?
    With keeping in mind that checked vs carry on have different restrictions, I consider nono items to include:
    My fuel, and my 16oz bottle of whiskey. So I mail these things ahead and pack them once at my destination. If I had to choose in your circumstance. I would mail FedEx/ UPS to the Dutchess, calling ahead of time, and watching the packages progress day by day. Now you will have about a 2 mile road walk to the Dutchess, and hitching is illegal in NY so keep that in mind. The owner of the motel is a real nice guy and after doing CT in 2 days last October, the Dutchess, however not the cleanest, was a site for sore eyes. The owner will come pick you up at the RR crossing but I would give him an hour notice. He said he would be there in 15 minutes when I needed a ride and it was an hour. Ended up not being a big deal.

Take your trekking poles and fold them up, along with your tent stakes roll them up in your tent. This eliminates them from being an issue

If you do not mail, and choose to travel with your backpack, there is a general store right next to the dutchess that may have heet (fuel) but no canisters. It is a 2 mile walk from the trail head. as well an uber ride / taxi is a $20 minimum thru this area of the trail

Images

I've flown with my backpack as checked baggage lots of time. Have never had an issue.

I've also shipped resupply boxes USPS lots of times. Have never had an issue.

That said, I carry onboard a super lightweight day pack with enough clothes, headlamp, etc. to get me through at least a couple of days. On almost all trips I could day hike at least a couple of days while buying new gear and/or waiting on my backpack to show up and get to me. But again, that has never happened.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

[QUOTE=Gambit McCrae;2198269)
    hitching is illegal in NY so keep that in mind.

] Not true. I also can't find any county ordinance.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I've flown with my backpack as checked baggage lots of time. Have never had an issue.

I've also shipped resupply boxes USPS lots of times. Have never had an issue.

That said, I carry onboard a super lightweight day pack with enough clothes, headlamp, etc. to get me through at least a couple of days. On almost all trips I could day hike at least a couple of days while buying new gear and/or waiting on my backpack to show up and get to me. But again, that has never happened.
    I agree that it would not stop my trip from happening. I would try and make it work the best I could, like you said, being flexible and slack packing until I got my pack. I do however, when going on a trip that requires such investment as taking a plane, pack a second pack and have it at home with a friend or family with a $100 bill in the pocket. If something from an airpad all the way to a whole backpack kit needs replaced while 1500 miles from home, they can take the needed item and overnight it to me. I know not every one has the luxury of a second or 3rd kit but many do I'm sure.

[QUOTE=Feral Bill;2198286]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae;2198269)
    hitching is illegal in NY so keep that in mind.

Not true. I also can't find any county ordinance.
    New York
    New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law:

TextSection 1157. Pedestrians soliciting rides, or business.
    (a) No person shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride, or to solicit from or sell to an occupant of any vehicle.
    NYSP - Traffic Services Unit

Journal Entries

Yeah, my logistics would be easier if I check my backpack thru to JFK. That way, I'll catch the train to Pawling from Grand Central, pick up a couple smart water bottles at the mini mart once I get to Pawling, and catch a taxi to the trailhead on NY-55, 4 miles away if I have enough time, or walk to the park in town that lets hikers camp, and begin my hike the following morning.
    Rain Man, when you checked your backpack thru, did you box it up, or just send it thru as is? Last year from Newburgh, I just sent mine thru as is, and it arrived just fine.

[QUOTE=Gambit McCrae;2198289]
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    § 140. Roadway.
    New York
    New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law:

TextSection 1157. Pedestrians soliciting rides, or business.
    (a) No person shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride, or to solicit from or sell to an occupant of any vehicle.
    NYSP - Traffic Services Unit
    Roadway defined: That portion of a highway improved, designed, marked, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the shoulder and slope. In the event a highway includes two or more separate roadways the term "roadway" as used herein shall refer to any such roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively. (Bolding mine) Stay on the shoulder and you are legal and much safer.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 03-09-2018 at 13:37.

[QUOTE=Feral Bill;2198307]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Roadway defined: That portion of a highway improved, designed, marked, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the shoulder and slope. In the event a highway includes two or more separate roadways the term "roadway" as used herein shall refer to any such roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively. (Bolding mine) Stay on the shoulder and you are legal and much safer.
    True statement, a person is no less safe standing in the middle of the road with or without their thumb out. You are reading between the lines trying to make a grey area. Plain and simple, people get fined and arrested in New York for sticking a thumb out. I was told by a cop while I was in Wingdale this, the owner of the dutchess told me this and I was informed by both after I walked down the highway for 2 miles.

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=Feral Bill;2198307]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    You overlooked this part:or to solicit from or sell to an occupant of any vehicle.
    A ride may be considered soliciting from a occupant of a vehicle.

Also from this http://travel.wikia.com/wiki/New_Yor...or_hitchhikers indicates that it is 'defacto illegal' which seems inline with the interpertation I suggested :
    Hitchhiking in New York state is illegal. Or de facto illegal. If you can, avoid hitchhing in the South of this state. Around Albany you probably only get rides from cops.

There is no defacto illegal, only abuse of police power. On the other hand, I once got a ride from a park cop in Harriman, who cheerily delivered me to the bear Mountain bus stop. Twice, (this was years ago with the same statutes) I pointed out the legalities to police officers who then drove away, leaving me to my lawful business. I expect a person could net a nice settlement from a false arrest suit.

++ New Posts ++