Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-29-2015
    Location
    Carmel, Indiana
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5

    Default IMG to 19e (Roan) On 4/21? Bad Idea?

    Wondering is this section is going to be absurdly busy from 4/21-4/24? Not really concerned with seeing people but finding available camp sites.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    Stay away from the shelters, the barn(overmountain shelter) and pond flats and you will be okay. I would suggest tenting at Bradley gap vs overmountain shelter

  3. #3

    Default

    It'll be busy if the weather is nice. Up to grassy ridge will be mostly day hikers. Overmountain shelter and the grassy area can easily support 20-30 tents in a pinch so even if its busy you'll have a spot.

    There are spots at Yellow Gap and lots of spots on little hump/hump mountains if you don't mind wind and no water.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-29-2015
    Location
    Carmel, Indiana
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Stay away from the shelters, the barn(overmountain shelter) and pond flats and you will be okay. I would suggest tenting at Bradley gap vs overmountain shelter
    Thanks, we will actually be using hammocks so we do have options but would still like to use existing sites near firepits if/when possible. Hoping to find a site ~10 miles from IMG for the first night so we can wake up and make the 2k feet climb first thing on day two. Night two is still unplanned but maybe somewhere around 19 miles in at an unofficial site listed on Guthook. It's about 2.7 miles short of Overmountain. The last night we intend to land at Doll Flats. The first night is the tough one as there isn't really anything listed for sites and we would really like to camp just before we climb Cloudland and Roan.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    It'll be busy if the weather is nice. Up to grassy ridge will be mostly day hikers. Overmountain shelter and the grassy area can easily support 20-30 tents in a pinch so even if its busy you'll have a spot.

    There are spots at Yellow Gap and lots of spots on little hump/hump mountains if you don't mind wind and no water.
    There is water 100 yards south of Bradley gap and overmountain shelter, as well as stan murray down the hill


    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
    Thanks, we will actually be using hammocks so we do have options but would still like to use existing sites near firepits if/when possible. Hoping to find a site ~10 miles from IMG for the first night so we can wake up and make the 2k feet climb first thing on day two. Night two is still unplanned but maybe somewhere around 19 miles in at an unofficial site listed on Guthook. It's about 2.7 miles short of Overmountain. The last night we intend to land at Doll Flats. The first night is the tough one as there isn't really anything listed for sites and we would really like to camp just before we climb Cloudland and Roan.
    There is a site with good trees after the climb up out of overmountain, and prior to little hump. Water at this site is unkown

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-04-2016
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
    we will actually be using hammocks so we do have options but would still like to use existing sites near firepits if/when possible. . . Night two is still unplanned but maybe somewhere around 19 miles in at an unofficial site listed on Guthook. It's about 2.7 miles short of Overmountain.
    There is a very nice site (for either tent or hammock) on the side trail to Grassy Ridge (east side of the trail at approximately 36.103, -82.082). It would have a beautiful view at sunrise.

    I recall seeing at least two or three sites between the junction for Grassy Ridge and Yellow Mountain Gap.

    The spring downhill from the Stan Murray shelter is probably the weakest source you'll pass. The spring at the Overmountain shelter is very strong.

  7. #7

    Default

    There are actually a few tent sites about halfway up Roan. I stayed there my final night. There was a spring there, but never found it and heard it was iffy. Beginning of Roan had a spring, as did the top of Roan. Can fill up there. I hung my hammock at those sites halfway up Roan. I was the only one there on a Saturday night. IMG to the bottom of Roan is super easy. Roan is a beast. Only downside I found halfway up Roan was some wind.

  8. #8

    Default

    Always busy.
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change". Charles Darwin

  9. #9

    Default

    I would imagine the thrus combined with weekenders would be kind of crazy after Carvers. Not sure how far weekenders go, but I saw no one from Overmountain to 19E during the day.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •