WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nobo Clothing List, Advice

Late March, Early April Start. I've had alot of these pieces for a few seasons now. Some we're really pricey or presents which was nice. I almost want to purchase something cheaper to use and abuse on the trail but I figured id just use was I have and decide what I wanna do after the trail.

Packed Clothes

Possum Down Socks from Zpacks
    Smart Wool 250 Long Bottoms
    Patagonia Thermal Capilene Hoodie - New
    Merino Beanie from Minus 33 - New
    LL Bean Synthetic Lightweight Puffy Jacket
    Surplus Wool Glove Liners
    Frogg Toggs UL Jacket
    Synthetic Buff
    Cotton Bandana
    Separate Synthetic Hiking Socks

Worn Clothes

Trail Runners
    Synthetic Hiking Socks
    Exofficio Give N Go's
    Columbia Silver Ridge Pants
    Need a new hiking shirt.
    Baseball Cap & Sun Glasses

Starting with my 10* quilt. May keep it the whole trail but have a 40* quilt I could swap it out too.

I'm sure a could shed some clothes come warm weather. Prob get rid of my long johns for a pair of sleeping boxers. Drop the pants for some running shorts.

Any comments or suggestions?

The only thing I don't have is an active layer to hike in. The goal would be to keep the Capilene dry and reserved for camp. I'll prob scoop up a wind shirt if I feel the need for something.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Default My early thoughts

I'm planning on being on the trail in early April, so just shortly after you. I'm planning on a long-sleeve synthetic layer, a layer of micro-fleece, and a rain jacket, but will also have a short-sleeve shirt as an extra layer for above the belt. I have not decided yet, but will probably have to take a regular fleece for over the micro-fleece for colder days. I've tried under-armor on chilly mornings in warmer months, but it's always been WAY too warm after just a hundred yards or so. However, I've never been on the trail this early in the higher elevations in the south, so I may be under-estimating my needs. For below the belt, I'll probably have lycra as an under-layer and convertible pants over that. I definitely will bring a light toboggan and gloves also.

I also will have a zero degree bag.

Zero degree bag should certainly help at night. The only thing about my 10* quilt is the volume it takes up in my GG kumo.

May have to go for a larger pack. It's a tight squeeze with all my stuff in that pack.

I'd like to get a gorilla if can before my hike. Trying to sell another pack to fund one at the moment.

Starting 1/2 a month before you, Mid March. I just posted my clothing /layering system video. Here is the link if interested:
    https://youtu.be/pgw0GILjvDw

Hope it helps, but please don’t judge the beginning. I am using these videos to teach myself editing and green screen techniques for iMovie. Sort of Old Dog new tricks.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Starting 1/2 a month before you, Mid March. I just posted my clothing /layering system video. Here is the link if interested:
    https://youtu.be/pgw0GILjvDw

Hope it helps, but please don’t judge the beginning. I am using these videos to teach myself editing and green screen techniques for iMovie. Sort of Old Dog new tricks.
    Seen your video and love the rain jacket. I pretty much am set on one already but you just might have swayed me to switch as the features and price are right.

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    Seen your video and love the rain jacket. I pretty much am set on one already but you just might have swayed me to switch as the features and price are right.
    I probably would purchase the same Jacket as well; however, give the OR Helium- HD a look. Make sure it is the Helium that has the Pit Zips. The weight is what would cause me to look at it. However, the price may be the deal breaker that would force me back to the PreCip. I do love it as my Outer Shell.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I like it overall but you are missing out when the weather turns warmer in April. April southeast AT weather is notoriously fickle even early in the month for day time highs and sunshine and from wk to wk and even every 3-4 days. It will come around here and there - in spurts - faster than I think you assume.

You got the cold weather generally covered from what I see although I'd add in some gloves or mittens. You are obviously a hat/head person. I don't know why you have a bandanna, Buff, baseball cap, and Minus 33 Beanie while not forgetting you also have a hood on the Pat Thermal wt Hoody and Frogg Toggs to supplement for head covering. That's six head coverings. Can't a heavier material Buff and that nice Minus 33 merino beanie with those hoods either one by itself or with both the hoods do the job? Take your shades for those sunny days in April and if by any chance have to deal with snow and ice which isn't too far fetched. IMO a visor is at some pt better when it warms because at that pt you want to dump heat not capture it. Maybe carry a bandanna with the visor at that time. A hoody or the Frogg Toggs hood work with the bandana and visor duo too.

Agreed. A lighter active torso layering piece is needed from the get go. Thing is you make it harder because the Thermal hoody and LL Bean jacket are heavier insulation pieces so even if you threw a tee into the mix what do you pair it with?...the Frogg Toggs or Pat Thermal Hoody? Might be overkill on some mid April days and lead to heat build up especially with the limited mechanical venting options of these pieces. This heat build up is compounded by having only pants. No shorts no convertibles?

FWIW, I have two excellent lighter active pieces currently for sale that can work for a later March/early April NOBO start a IceBreaker 2oo wt 1/2 zip LS w/ wool mesh side and underarm panels and a Pat Cap 1 w/Polygiene odor control light wt 1/2 zip. Either of these you could do much hiking in for Mar and April. Check out those threads. At some pt in mid -late April and going into May it's nice to drop the LL bean jacket and/or Pat Hoody throwing in a tee that works much better should you roll with the 10* quilt the entire hike. If you switch to the lighter less bulkier 40* quilt maybe keep the Pat thermal hoody on the off chance of cool weather or nights.

What are you going to do in cold rain maybe sleet on your bottom half in Mar and April? I only see a FT jacket.

I missed the wool liners. Any shells for them? It will rain, sleet/ice up, and maybe snow(I'd bet on it, a wet heavy snow) and it's likely it will occur during day time cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What are you going to do in cold rain maybe sleet on your bottom half in Mar and April? I only see a FT jacket.

I missed the wool liners. Any shells for them? It will rain, sleet/ice up, and maybe snow(I'd bet on it, a wet heavy snow) and it's likely it will occur during day time cold.
    Having experienced a driving rain and sleet in mid July last year in Maine, I learned quickly the value that rain pants have in shoulder season. With that, I don’t think I would start out in Georgia in March without them.

I had ZPacks rain pants at 3.6 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I've never owned or used rain pants. It seems the general consensus is to have them for a march/April nobo start.

Was thinking about picking these up

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/wh...-rec-prod1074C

Worth the weight of admission or should I go for a different approach?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    So I've never owned or used rain pants. It seems the general consensus is to have them for a march/April nobo start.

Worth the weight of admission or should I go for a different approach?
    I'd say you would be fine with those. You won't wear them a lot so you don't have to overspend for a higher end brand name. Frogg Toggs are also another inexpensive options. But I wouldn't be in the mountains in March or April without rain pants.

Garlic
    Images

I agree with the addition of a light pair of rain pants. You don't need much. I used a pair homemade from silnylon, 4 oz weight and packed the size of a fist. Frogg Toggs would work.

Don't underestimate spring weather in the Southern Appalachians. I've spent a lot of time in the high country in the Rockies in the winter, and a couple of storms on the AT got my attention.

Some good advice I got was to wait until the Trail Days weekend (mid-May) to switch to summer gear, no matter where you are.

I always add to these threads that what you carry matters little compared to how you use it. Experience really counts when things turn harsh. Keep your puffy layer (and sleeping insulation) dry at all costs. Don't wear it while climbing in rain or snow. I'm sure you know that, being from NH.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Zero degree bag should certainly help at night. The only thing about my 10* quilt is the volume it takes up in my GG kumo.

May have to go for a larger pack. It's a tight squeeze with all my stuff in that pack.

I'd like to get a gorilla if can before my hike. Trying to sell another pack to fund one at the moment.

I may have a 2017 Gorilla for sale in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth the weight of admission or should I go for a different approach?...

Yes, they keep you in the game for the colder and windier days. They offer a second outer pr of hiking apparel for the lower half. I don't know about you but I'd want a second pr of apparel wear for my lower half for a Mar/ early April start. What way you ultimately go for your lower half is up to you but for those cold periods in March through possibly early may they work for many. Again, think diversity of wearability under diverse changing conditions.

You don't have any shorts option though for those warmer April days. Could you consider a thin pr of running shorts w/a boxer brief liner or that can be worn alone or under the Silveridge or rain pants than just the Ex Off Give & Gos?
    Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    ...I always add to these threads that what you carry matters little compared to how you use it. Experience really counts when things turn harsh. Keep your puffy layer (and sleeping insulation) dry at all costs. Don't wear it while climbing in rain or snow. I'm sure you know that, being from NH.
    +1

In this regard don't think of rain pants just for the rain or for snow... OR they will spend more time in the pack. Wear your dry rain pants in the quilt with the 250 wt Smartwool bottoms or in whatever other ways you can fathom. Employ as many pieces in your kit as often as possible bringing everything to bear, including your trail savviness, as situations dictate.

I think your good for the start, you'll def drop some of that.
    No need for beanie and bandana when you got a hoodie and a buff.
    Can also drop gloves, with three pairs of socks if you really needed to you could use a pair on your hands in the rare case it's needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Garlic
    Images

If you end up going light on the footwear and gloves, keep a couple of bread bags handy for emergency cover (Bagtex). They actually do weigh next to nothing, and make a big difference in the wet snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yes, they keep you in the game for the colder and windier days. They offer a second outer pr of hiking apparel for the lower half. I don't know about you but I'd want a second pr of apparel wear for my lower half for a Mar/ early April start. What way you ultimately go for your lower half is up to you but for those cold periods in March through possibly early may they work for many. Again, think diversity of wearability under diverse changing conditions.

You don't have any shorts option though for those warmer April days. Could you consider a thin pr of running shorts w/a boxer brief liner or that can be worn alone or under the Silveridge or rain pants than just the Ex Off Give & Gos?

+1

In this regard don't think of rain pants just for the rain or for snow... OR they will spend more time in the pack. Wear your dry rain pants in the quilt with the 250 wt Smartwool bottoms or in whatever other ways you can fathom. Employ as many pieces in your kit as often as possible bringing everything to bear, including your trail savviness, as situations dictate.
    My Columbia's pants are convertibles. Sorry I failed to mention that.

I have some Nike running shorts floating around somewhere I wouldn't be against bringing.

So...

Smartwool 250s
    Exofficio give n gos
    Nike running shorts
    Columbia convertibles
    Rain pants

I've never carried that many bottom pieces. Never needed to. The running shorts seem a little redundant but at a really low weight. They also make good sleeping shorts/extra shorts for town/laundry

I'd mainly wear my exofficios and Columbia's for hiking. Layer with rain pants for a first line of defense. Put on smartwools of greater insulation is needed. Use running shorts as camp short, more comfortable hiking short, or polar plunge swimming short lol

Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely be grabbing some rain pants. I've been wanting some MLD rain mitts for a while too. Was gonna go DIY with some cheap silnylon but haven't had much free time lately

PS just got my possum down socks. Slept in them last night. Where have these been all my life. Easily the most comfortable sleep sock I've ever owned. Very soft, nice and loose fitting, and the breathability/warmth feels excellent.

Pretty happy after only wearing them once. We'll see how they hold up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++