WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    No sponsorships or internet fame. In fact, I hate having my pic taken. I thought of my AT attempt as a big event in my life...one worthy of documenting for friends and family. Also...if and when a day comes and my memory lapses...be nice to look back.
    I do like the 30 sec - 2 Min approach. I don’t desire to shoot video of every moss formation or rock jutting out of a tree.In the end, couldn’t care less if anyone else sees my video other than family and friends
    I think you answered your own question. Make a record of your hike be it a journal, pictures, or video for yourself. Send your family and friends postcards (snail mail type) with a short note as you progress along the trail and they can have a record of your hike and a novelty (nobody send postcards anymore) as well.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Leonidas

What I have found from vlogging section hikes on the AT and other random hikes, workouts, etc is: Do what makes you happy. If it becomes a chore, stop for a while. I like to be able to look back though at the footage and remember what is was like on the day(s) that I recorded. Our kids like watching them as well as grandparents, parents, friends, etc.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I can't speak to a vlog, but during my thru hike I maintained an online blog at trailjournals.com. It was a lot of work keeping the journal updated, but I am very thankful I wrote the journal because (1) it kept friends and family updated of my trials and tribulations, and (2) I had a permanent record of the hike (which I still go back and read from time to time, and relive the hike). I definitely would keep some sort of journal (written or video). It is worth the extra effort.

Quote Originally Posted by sadlowskiadam View Post
    I can't speak to a vlog, but during my thru hike I maintained an online blog at trailjournals.com. It was a lot of work keeping the journal updated, but I am very thankful I wrote the journal because (1) it kept friends and family updated of my trials and tribulations, and (2) I had a permanent record of the hike (which I still go back and read from time to time, and relive the hike). I definitely would keep some sort of journal (written or video). It is worth the extra effort.
    If TJ goes offline, your journal isn't permanent. I stick to pencil and paper; my 1997 AT journals are as readable now as they were then.

I’m not a thru hiker but I do make videos of my backpacking trips. I don’t do it for the YT audience. It’s so I can watch later and recall a trip I took with my family or when I saw the horses at Grayson Highlands or whatever. Stuff I might want omg remember in a few years time when the memory fades.

Check out Craig M aka Spielberg videos. 4-5 minutes in length each day, sometimes longer when covering multiple days. The shorter the video usually means less time editing footage.
    He does a good job of mixing footage with telling how his day went.
    I could also tell toward the end of his trip it was a grind to keep doing the videos.

If nothing else, phones these days typically have the ability to throw pics/vids into an album for the day and then compile a short video for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    If TJ goes offline, your journal isn't permanent. I stick to pencil and paper; my 1997 AT journals are as readable now as they were then.
    You can download your entire journal at trailjournals.com. I have mine saved as a PDF, which my wife turned into a hard cover journal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sadlowskiadam View Post
    You can download your entire journal at trailjournals.com. I have mine saved as a PDF, which my wife turned into a hard cover journal for me.
    Thanks for this info. Will check it out after my attempt. I do love Trailjournals.com hosting our journals.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++