WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

Default Bottle / bladder hybrid

I really like sipping water as I go so I’ve traditionally been a hydration bladder guy. But they fall short in convenience when filling, pouring, getting in/out of pack. That’s where bottle excel. But I don’t like reaching around behind my pack to drink. And I can never get the bottles back into the pockets! So I decided to make a hybrid. You can watch the video here: https://youtu.be/nEsl0PdjdIY

Thanks!
    Chris

Default Bottle / bladder hybrid

amazon has a tube you can use with grocery-store water bottles. so I have it going from a 1 or 1.5l bottle in my pocket, and use it as my primary. if I run out, I switch to the tube from the bladder. Never have to reach for bottles or worry about switching tubes during my "hiking day"....

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    amazon has a tube you can use with grocery-store water bottles. so I have it going from a 1 or 1.5l bottle in my pocket, and use it as my primary. if I run out, I switch to the tube from the bladder. Never have to reach for bottles or worry about switching tubes during my "hiking day"....
    Yup, I saw some of the commercial products available but as I already had the tube, I made one for free.

A while back I too was moving a way from the hydration bladder in my pack and came up with this (pic below). I have now moved to a small Smartwater bottle on my shoulder strap and a large Smartwater bottle with my water filter attached in a side pocket. Depending on water along the trail usually just leave the big bottle empty and camel up when i pass water.
    IMG_6110.jpg

I use the collapsible soft 1l platypus bottles in each of my side pockets with a hydration tube that I switch from side to side when needed; easy to reach, easy to fill and lets me keep an eye on my liquid consumption.

++ New Posts ++