WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I am but a lowly section hiker, a peasant really. I bow at the feet of the mighty thrus and am thankful everyday when they acknowledge my existence. So knowing that I'll throw out whatever tiny crumbs of wisdom I can.

In all seriousness though (I'm in a weird mood today...sorry), see my input below.

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    1. I’m set on using a canister stove. They’ve never let me down.
    Actually can't help out here too much as I use alcohol, but I can say that on most of the trail canisters are fairly easy to come by.

2. When I backpack for short trips, I dig a cat hole 30-40 feet from my sleeping area, brush my teeth and spit there. What do you do on the AT where there are people everywhere? Where ya spit your toothpaste? Dumb question, I know.
    I don't use toothpaste.

3. Trail magic/angels - is it assumed all trail angels do what they do for free? Do any of them get offended if one was to tip? Or if someone offers a shuttle, do you try to tip?
    I've gotten rides before, and do not offer tips. I have paid it back though by giving thrus rides into town.

4. My hope is that I can stick with my tent most of the time. Not keen on shelters because I don’t like mice...but get grumpy if I get no sleep from snorers. My hubby wears a Cpap mask at home...and if it weren’t for that...well, I’m sure I’d of put a pillow over his head.
    Having said all that, it slate afternoon...I saunter into my expected stop for the night...and all tent pads are filled. If pads are all filled, do I have to move on, or can I pitch a tent somewhere...observing LNT of course.
    This one depends on the lay of the land and the local regulations. In a good portion of the South (not including GSMNP and SNP) there are usually camp spots in close proximity to shelters where if you get to the shelter and it's full you can typically hike a little further up or back and find something. Often times you could just hike into the woods off trail and make camp too. There are many areas of the trail where camping is prohibited except for in designated spots (GSMNP, SNP, the White Mountains, MA, CT, and some other areas), and you would likely have to stay in the shelter there. As others have mentioned bring ear plugs. I also like to use a sleeping mask if I'm in a shelter because then people turning on their headlamps doesn't wake me up.

5. I’m buying the Ursack plus the OPsak no odour bags. Curious, do I need to buy the Ursack Minor bag as well? Or can I get away with the no odour bags inside the Ursack?
    I’ve been using the PCT method for a few years now...does the Ursack need to be hung PCT style, or can it be tied to a thick branch using the knots recommended by Ursack tutorial videos?
    Can't offer a lot of input on this one other than to say that very few people use a Ursack on the AT. Most areas that have bear problems have storage provided (cables, boxes and/or poles). For areas that don't you can usually hang a normal sil-nylon drybag using the PCT method.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Keep in mind, when I gave my “2L boiled water per day”, that is when I’m backpacking for 4-5 days. As I’m not worrying about resupply, I tend to bring Mac and cheese which takes more water and fuel to boil...and I boil water at night to wash my face. I try to use the whole canister cuz I hate having half a dozen canisters with bits of fuel in each.

I realize going forward on a thru hike attempt, I need not bring water to a boil, won’t be needing water at night to wash (embrace the stink), and I’ll be using a homemade cozy for putting packets of food in to continue cooking.
    The other thing is that there is a greater selection of meal ideas available in the US than where I live in Canada. We don’t have tuna and chicken in packets....no single serve Spam. Up here in Canada, most Knorr meals require milk....so either you have to bring powdered milk, or get stuck eating expensive dehydrated meals that so-so.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

*that are so-so in taste.

Thank goodness for YouTube videos...have so many food idea options going forward.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

I'm not giving up the gum health benefits of baking soda + peroxide toothpaste for 5 straight months. Boy Scout practice is to "broadcast" toothpaste in a wide arc so there's very low concentration on any particular bit of ground. I go further from camp than most for my hygiene needs, though.

1) whichever canister is available. The larger one if my next resupply town or two might be small and not have a outfitter. I did not mind carrying a small and large canister when one was about to run out.
    2) toothpaste near my tentsite covered with water so it’s not near the ground surface or noticeable.
    3) if I’m hitching I offer something. Sometimes hostels will have someone drop you back at the trail that’s not related to the hostel and then it’s usually expected.
    4) squeeze in if you can or move on. It’s kind of like a shelter in the rain.

Keep in mind, when I gave my “2L boiled water per day”, that is when I’m backpacking for 4-5 days. As I’m not worrying about resupply, I tend to bring Mac and cheese which takes more water and fuel to boil...and I boil water at night to wash my face. I try to use the whole canister cuz I hate having half a dozen canisters with bits of fuel in each.

I realize going forward on a thru hike attempt, I need not bring water to a boil, won’t be needing water at night to wash (embrace the stink), and I’ll be using a homemade cozy for putting packets of food in to continue cooking.
    The other thing is that there is a greater selection of meal ideas available in the US than where I live in Canada. We don’t have tuna and chicken in packets....no single serve Spam. Up here in Canada, most Knorr meals require milk....so either you have to bring powdered milk, or get stuck eating expensive dehydrated meals that so-so.
    I made easy mac almost every night for dinner at the end, I used the same amount of water as I would for a rice side or something.

I didn’t even measure, just pour until it the noodles are jusssssst submerged, still once or twice while boiling, get a rolling boil and turn the stove off and put pot in my cozy.

Give it 10 minutes and it’s cooked and absorbed all the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    My last section, last November, some of the SOBO thrus were still working their way down... One of them was using the extra large canister. The one that's like 6-8" tall!
    I was at the Doyle over the weekend and there was one of those giant canisters collecting dust on a shelf. I wonder if it was the same one.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Funny thing about fuel. Everyone laughs at the guy who carries too much, until they need to borrow some.

Source: happened to me in the Smokies with my 1L fuel bottle of whitegas.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Funny thing about fuel. Everyone laughs at the guy who carries too much, until they need to borrow some.

Same with TP.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Seems the water amount (1L in AM 1L in PM) could be a possibility, if:

- Someone likes a lot of drink in the morning (after all, if you were buying out many places that sell coffee/tea have sizes up to 20-24 oz. for their largest, which is 1/2-3/4 of a L right there). Add a little for something like oatmeal and you are pretty close (plus maybe a little to clean if one is not cooking in a bag).
    - Doing the sides for dinner and either actually cooking them or following the directions which may call for 2 cups (again, about 1/2L) of water and then again wants hot water for something else like a drink or maybe for self cleaning (which some may still do a bit, or at least plan to do when they start).

Probably too much for many, but not impossible.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Same with TP.
    And maps, or tweezers, or toenail clippers, or matches, or ... I'd rather carry a few extra ounces - we aren't talking pounds here - and actually be prepared for an extra night out or occurrence. I sometimes wonder if it's just forgetfulness or miscalculation or trying to shave off more grams than is practical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Checking out food and fuel supply in my local Big Box Sporting Goods Store (Academy) yesterday.
    110 gram GSI canisters: $4.
    230 gram JetBoil canisters: $5.
    They can be mailed if done correctly.
    Think about it.
    Wayne

My gf and I use a medium size canister, for two people, lasts a week, 7 days. Just about an oz of fuel a day.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    And maps, or tweezers, or toenail clippers, or matches, or ... I'd rather carry a few extra ounces - we aren't talking pounds here - and actually be prepared for an extra night out or occurrence. I sometimes wonder if it's just forgetfulness or miscalculation or trying to shave off more grams than is practical.
    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Except, "take care of the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves". But I definitely hear you.

Fuel: You're going to use less than you think. I used both small and large at times, but I could get by about week with the small ones. You may find, as I did, that you sometimes choose to not fire up the stove at all.

Odor-proof bear sack: Completely unnecessary. Just go with hanging your food bag.

Tent space: I spent four nights within a quarter mile of a shelter during my thru hike - They're a little too urban for my tastes. Sometimes finding a tent spot was easy, and sometimes it was difficult. Some of the spots I found were pristine and beautiful, and some less so. I did quite a bit of stealth camping, but it can be a challenge in places. Don't wait until just before sundown to start looking, as I did a little too often.

Rides: I did a lot of hitchhiking, walking while I hitched. That required caution on roads with no shoulders though. At times I had to walk against traffic for self-preservation. If I got a ride, that was great. I usually didn't offer money, but sometimes did if people seemed a little down on their luck, or if it was a longer ride. You get a feel for what is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Fuel: You're going to use less than you think. I used both small and large at times, but I could get by about week with the small ones. You may find, as I did, that you sometimes choose to not fire up the stove at all.

Odor-proof bear sack: Completely unnecessary. Just go with hanging your food bag.

Tent space: I spent four nights within a quarter mile of a shelter during my thru hike - They're a little too urban for my tastes. Sometimes finding a tent spot was easy, and sometimes it was difficult. Some of the spots I found were pristine and beautiful, and some less so. I did quite a bit of stealth camping, but it can be a challenge in places. Don't wait until just before sundown to start looking, as I did a little too often.

Rides: I did a lot of hitchhiking, walking while I hitched. That required caution on roads with no shoulders though. At times I had to walk against traffic for self-preservation. If I got a ride, that was great. I usually didn't offer money, but sometimes did if people seemed a little down on their luck, or if it was a longer ride. You get a feel for what is appropriate.
    Wait a minute, I thought your always supposed to walk against traffic? ... Bikes go with it but I always walk against except in certain sketchy situations with more shoulder room walking with it or something like that. Don't you want to see the traffic coming to help with a quicker reaction rather then hearing it behind you and turning around to see? ..... I always thought the right way was to walk against it when you can

Suppose to walk against traffic for safety, but that does work hitchhiking.

I just make my knorr with water even if it calls for milk. Sometimes I'll add a splash of milk but rarely the full amount called for.

I tend to go the other way and add more milk and less water than called for. You can get Nestle Nido Fortificada (powdered whole milk) in Walmart stores.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I just make my knorr with water even if it calls for milk. Sometimes I'll add a splash of milk but rarely the full amount called for.
    I make everything on the trail with water even if it calls for milk. It's just calories, and it has to be palatable; you're not making gourmet food.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++