WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Likewise, I never added milk to anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I make everything on the trail with water even if it calls for milk. It's just calories, and it has to be palatable; you're not making gourmet food.
    I try. My GSI Extreme Mess Kit is advertised for "gourmet backpacking". I've made pasta and fresh Alfredo sauce in it, fresh curry, and also giant muffins (from a mix, so not gourmet but still a nice treat on the Trail).

By all means try.

It’s just that after a certain amount of time you’ll come accustomed to hiking all day. At which point when you get to camp your probably only care about setting up, eating, and sleeping.

Boiling water for Mac n cheese then letting it sit in your pot cozy is a lot faster and easier than preparing something nice that you’ll inhale in seconds.

It’s kind of a thru hiking vs
    camping thing. It eventually happens to everyone who makes it far enough

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I make everything on the trail with water even if it calls for milk. It's just calories, and it has to be palatable; you're not making gourmet food.
    Same thing can be done when mac N cheese calls for butter. You're often so damn hungry you'll eat it and enjoy it. Put some butter in it in the form of added cheese.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bria...obile&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Likewise, I never added milk to anything

Maybe, you do...the coagulated version of milk. It's called cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    By all means try.
    It’s just that after a certain amount of time you’ll come accustomed to hiking all day. At which point when you get to camp your probably only care about setting up, eating, and sleeping.
    Boiling water for Mac n cheese then letting it sit in your pot cozy is a lot faster and easier than preparing something nice that you’ll inhale in seconds.
    It’s kind of a thru hiking vs camping thing. It eventually happens to everyone who makes it far enough
    I find M&C is a good "base", to which you can and should add things like extra real cheese off your cheese block, canned tuna, chicken or sardines if you're a carnivore, and fresh or dried veggies.

On this subject, I have never added milk to any Knorr meal on the trail, but I often do add a packet of mayonnaise. Mayo is made from oil and egg yolks, so it's like adding the oil the directions call for. A few extra calories and a bit of extra protein.

Also, I figured out eventually, that if the Knorr meal calls for 2 cups of liquid, go with about 1.5 cups or I get Knorr soup.

Images

I often carry a small bag of powdered milk, which can be added to granola in the morning, or toss some into the Knorr dinners. Not necessary, but it's light weight and adds some flavor and protein and fat.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    On this subject, I have never added milk to any Knorr meal on the trail, but I often do add a packet of mayonnaise. Mayo is made from oil and egg yolks, so it's like adding the oil the directions call for. A few extra calories and a bit of extra protein.
    Also, I figured out eventually, that if the Knorr meal calls for 2 cups of liquid, go with about 1.5 cups or I get Knorr soup.
    I put in as much liquid as possible, since I'm probably dehydrated anyway, and the broth goes down well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Same thing can be done when mac N cheese calls for butter. You're often so damn hungry you'll eat it and enjoy it. Put some butter in it in the form of added cheese.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bria...obile&ie=UTF-8
    I find that butter in a ziplock is good for at least four days without going bad. I've always finished it off by then, so I don't know if it would last longer (though I and my wife are both using the butter). Others use olive oil for the same calorie/flavor/oil for food.

If you run out of fuel, no big deal. On dry days fill a sandwich bag with dry sticks. A few the size of matchsticks, a few the size of a pencil, a few the size of your little finger, the rest the size of your index finger. Don't need any longer than your index finger. Clear out a spot in the dirt, make a tepee inside of 3 tent pegs positioned to sit your cook pot on. Rub camp soap on the outside of the pot. When you are done, simply wet and wash off the soap and black soot. (It works better if you have a piece of aluminum to wrap around the tent pegs with some small holes at the bottom. (To get dry twigs always pull them off of branches that are sticking up in the air and not laying on the ground.

Tooth paste---Fill mouth with rinse water and spew into a fine mist. or Spit in the fire ring.

MIce, Make a mouse preventer with a jar lid. Punch a hole in the middle. Tie a not in the hang string 5 inches to a foot above your food bag. Hang it in the shelter or 15-18 feet off the ground. Make sure to put trash and soap, toothpaste etc in the food bag. Leave pack zippers opened half an inch. Better they climb in nosing around than chew through to get a piece of forgotten gum or crumbs.

RevDrDan section hiker completed trail 2007 www.smithfieldbaptist.org

Snoring--- Ear plugs or radio with ear buds.

The Rev speaks...listen and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by RevDrDan View Post
    If you run out of fuel, no big deal...
    There is so much wrong with the first two paragraphs, yet +1 for leaving the pack zipper open.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++