WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much do you use electronics on the trail

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Lots a moanin’ goin’ on!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Lots a moanin’ goin’ on!

Yeah thats from many on their phones.

Journal Entries

Electronics arent a problem. The electronics have lots of varied uses that simply replace or supplement paper.

Its the people that want/need to stay connected to the outside world....while on the trail..and impose this onto others thru their actions..that has always been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Electronics arent a problem. The electronics have lots of varied uses that simply replace or supplement paper.

Its the people that want/need to stay connected to the outside world....while on the trail..and impose this onto others thru their actions..that has always been an issue.
    Well, once you stop walking what else is there to do?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Want to add context to my vote: if I hiked where there was cell service, I probably would carry a smartphone. It would be left in airplane mode and serve as my camera, and at night, maybe my guide to the stars and constellations. Perhaps I might even have GPS hiking apps on there and all that. But I would (hope to) not connect to the internet, make/receive calls, get voice mail, email, etc etc. In a way I'm glad I don't have to make that choice, because, looking around at others, it's obviously tempting to do so, and I do enough of that already at home.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Lots a moanin’ goin’ on!
    Some people aren’t happy unless they are moaning and groaning about something. No matter how much they moan, however, smart phones on the trail are here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

I agree...technology has its place.
    While my AT attempt next year will be a trip of a lifetime, I am travelling from another country. I have no family or friends in the US...and since I’m hiking solo...I do need to keep in touch with my hubby from time to time.
    Only social media I’m on...if you can count it as one...is this forum and TrailJournals. No FB, Twitter, instagram, or YouTube. I hope to take pics and video for myself...but can’t see a need to do daily updates.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well, once you stop walking what else is there to do?
    That's hilarious, I got my laugh for the day. I looked through all the posts on this thread and it is interesting that of those whose age is revealed I think the average age of the posters is about 55 with only two people under 30.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    That's hilarious, I got my laugh for the day. I looked through all the posts on this thread and it is interesting that of those whose age is revealed I think the average age of the posters is about 55 with only two people under 30.
    I noticed that too. Just as I noticed the avg age of those 200 + moaning the most about not getting electronic connection atop Mt Marcy was around 22 yrs old.

BTW definitely not 55.

Can't turn electronic addiction and imposition into an age war. People of all ages moan about something maybe different things but let's not hang this on being a cantankerous older person. Gambit the OP doesn't look to be anywhere near 55 either!

As this thread slided into pro+con electronics, I might add an observation of my own.

Some years back, our younger son did a local multiday hike together with his friend.
    His friend was constantly on the social media all the time trying to impress online followers about what cool thing he was doing - Hiking!.
    They broke up the hike the second day afternoon, when his friends' battery ran empty and all his euphoria was gone, suddenly.
    It took our son years to recover and find some fun in hiking again.

Now I was reluctant to get new electronics for most of my life, but some years back bought a Sony smartphone and find it absolutely great to replace all the paper stuff I usually carry into the desert. Love this little Sony.
    But I belive I still use it with common sense, have it in airplane mode most of the time, safe battery life, do no gaming and other fun stuff ever. Like a normal grownup woud do.
    Last spring we were in the desert for weeks, walking on GPS with Google Earth downloads only.
    During one break in the middle of the hike, my friends spoke about being hooked to the phone while in the outdoors - first I didn't get the whole story, but it turned out they were speaking about me!
    Without having noticed it myself, I seem to have turned into a smartphone freak, always having it handy, tapping away on the screen, all day and evening long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I noticed that too. Just as I noticed the avg age of those 200 + moaning the most about not getting electronic connection atop Mt Marcy was around 22 yrs old.

BTW definitely not 55.

Can't turn electronic addiction and imposition into an age war. People of all ages moan about something maybe different things but let's not hang this on being a cantankerous older person. Gambit the OP doesn't look to be anywhere near 55 either!
    No Sir I am not. Turned 30 for the first time last week actually lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    This kind of smug superiority can only come with age.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    This kind of smug superiority can only come with age.
    You must not be spending much time around tweeners, teens, and Millenials. Sheltered, entitled, defensive and narcissistic are some traits commonly attributed to Gen Y

Psychologists even have a Narcicisstic Personality Disorder. "The hallmarks of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) are grandiosity, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration. People with this condition are frequently described as arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding."

Tell me that doesnt describe many smart phone users???????

I find these threads hilarious. Being connected on social media is the way things are now and are going to be in the future. No amount of whining is going to change that. Forcing todays generation (actually it goes back past the millenials) to leave their phones at home is just dumb and making judgements about them is even dumber. There are so many examples of this throughout American culture and all that ever happens is the complainers end up on the wrong side of history.

??? Societies routinely require people to address their behavior...especially when that behavior impacts others. We all don't get to do anything we want ignoring everyone and everything else. There is a name for that...chaos...a free for all...the Wild West. See how that feels when it's experienced against you.

Don't turn it into an electronics bad electronics good issue. It's human behaviors at the root of the issue just like alcohol, cannabis, firearms, self defense, getting behind the wheel, or putting someone into a choke hold.

BTW, I'm a smart phone and electronics user. And, sometimes I find that usage getting out of hand. So not down on electronics as much as I'm down on imposing, unaware, self absorbed, denying, and addicting behavior having negative impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    I find these threads hilarious. Being connected on social media is the way things are now and are going to be in the future. No amount of whining is going to change that. Forcing todays generation (actually it goes back past the millenials) to leave their phones at home is just dumb and making judgements about them is even dumber. There are so many examples of this throughout American culture and all that ever happens is the complainers end up on the wrong side of history.
    Ayup.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    --Socrated, 400 BC

Journal Entries
    Images

It used to be that I would eagerly introduce myself as a former thru hiker to those in the middle of their own hikes.

With some frequency the person living his adventure would suggest that things must have been different way back when— to which I would invariable reply not so much, you still have to walk 2000 Miles.

I really believe that.

The one exception being that without the benefit of electronics — no one in my family even had their own answering machine — I got to experience a sense of isolation/independence from the world and family that I had never experienced before or since. Without going full hermit, of course.

Something to be said for disconnecting and dealing with your quiet self.

Exactly what, I don’t really know.

Uh ohh, be careful ADFH. You're trending towards becoming one of those "usual suspects."

In that quoting of Socrates, knowing he was famous for not penning his own thoughts(source of quote is in doubt?), it should be understood Socrates had great appeal among young Greeks because he was not only willing to question behavior of the their generation but the supposed wisdom of the older generations and of everyone in between.

This quote should not be taken out of context of Socrates' larger views on ethics or justification for a younger generation to engage selfishly...which it often is.

Contradictory, Socrates was no general despiser of younger people and avocated for personal self control.

Ironic that Socrates quote is often cited to justify a lack of self control and consideration of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    No Sir I am not. Turned 30 for the first time last week actually lol
    Sir? I said I'm not 55.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++