WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much do you use electronics on the trail

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

I keep my phone off for the most part but I become more dependent on Guthook at the end of long days when I'm SURE my intended camp spot is right around the corner, or I missed it. The more tired I am, the more I rely on Guthook. This summer I wandered off the trail into a mosquito-y thicket. Guthook told me the trail was 20 feet to the right but I couldn't see it. I walked what I thought was 20 feet & still didn't see the trail. I was in no imminent danger, but I was surprised by the games my mind played. Guthook must be wrong. It's broken. OMG, I'm really, really lost, (even though I heard barking dogs & cars). Does my Garmin Mini have enough charge for an SOS? Will an SOS even work in this thicket where Guthook doesn't? Where's my whistle? What a horrible place to die! Another five steps landed me on the trail. Guthook was right all along. So, I'm not using social media on the trail, but my phone definitely has its place in my pack!

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up No electronics

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have typed out and deleted this 3 times now....

In todays time we live in a society that is strongly driven by our handheld devices.

In todays time we, we being hikers as a majority, are weight conscious.

I as a hiker have an Iphone 7 plus. It is my camera, my phone, my map, my entertainment that could be present in the form of music, watching movies, facebook etc....Now I have to power this phone and even though I am aware of battery usage my go to method is use it as much as I want, and in return I carry an 8oz battery pack that I can recharge it 5 times off of. Now I have been on the trail for 5 days and am in a motel for the night, so I am carrying a dual wall charger and charge cords for both battery pack as well as phone. And then there is the ear buds which on some trips I have been known to carry 2 pairs of in case 1 pair breaks...

So what gives here! Why, for one, am I counting ounces on a sub 2 lb tent yet I am completely great with 2 lbs worth of electrical crap.

Why am I going to the trail and the woods to escape yet staying plugged in via electronics. I would like to do some trips without anything more electronic then my headlamp this year.

Thoughts on this rambling topic above? haha -
    Safety concerns in case of emergency instances?
    I thru-hiked in 2001. Very few hikers were carrying the electric crap they carry today. What cell phone service there was was limited. It made for a much different hike than today. I think it was far more enjoyable.
    Grampie-N->2001

I remain at a loss to understand why someone carrying a cell phone, GPS, MP3 player, digital camera, or other electronic device would make someone else's hike less enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I remain at a loss to understand why someone carrying a cell phone, GPS, MP3 player, digital camera, or other electronic device would make someone else's hike less enjoyable.
    Because people are more worried about what others are doing...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Because people are more worried about what others are doing...
    That doesn't make sense
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

That doesn't make sense
    Many things don't.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I use my phone to find my way while driving.Once at the trailhead,it's going with me because I'm not about to leave it in the car.I have a section of the Guthook App and Gaia GPS,have not used either one because I have not needed to.For my wife's peace of mind I do carry a plb,ACR ResQlink,because it is fairly powerful and has no fees.
    The thot has occurred to me that it could come in handy in the event someone had a real emergency and time was of the essence etc.What few pictures I take are done with a cheap Kodak camera.I don't listen to music and have made only one phone call from the trail so far but I agree it's bad trail etiquette when others are around.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

once, i used an electronic headlamp on the trail.....

-

That doesn't make sense
    makes perfect sense to me - like the post I read in the last few days implying folks wearing bright colors ruined others outdoor experience ( tried the BS to link it to LNT)

I say get over yourself - if you often have a problem with other peoples actions, look in the mirror for the root of the problem

HYOH. But I don’t want to carry anymore weight than I have to. I refuse to carry a battery pack. I’ve made it seven days on one charge of my iPhone, using it for photos and a very occasional guthook check. I choose to stay off social media texting email and phone calls on my hikes because I want a break from daily life.

What other people carry and use is their own business except when they blatantly disregard the experience of others. I do find it obnoxious to have to listen to somebody else’s crappy music choices as they walk along the trail. Use earbuds for crying out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry an iPhone SE. The smallest iPhone I could get. It stays in my pocket except for the occasional picture.
    Neither famous nor infamous

My number one hated electrical device on trail is piezo igniters.

Especially when someone doesn't know how to use a jetboil and just clicks away.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    My number one hated electrical device on trail is piezo igniters.

Especially when someone doesn't know how to use a jetboil and just clicks away.
    Why does this bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Why does this bother you?
    Theyre just obnoxiously loud in my opinion at 5am.

I know ..... I should go stealth by myself somewhere

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++